How We Measure Heels

mlroseplant

I was idly searching the internet the other day for a pair of Nine West Bellafina pumps, which they don't make any more, but hey, you never know when a pair might pop up somewhere. Anyway, I checked Nordstrom's website, and of course they were out of stock (don't even know why I bother anymore, I should stick to ebay and the like). However, I noted that they claimed this model had a 4 1/4 inch heel. Hmmmm? The shoes I have in Size 9 USW are over 5 1/2 inches, nearly 5 3/4 inches! Then I got to looking around the window, and found a button labeled "Heel Height Measurement." Of course, I had to click on it, and I have included a screenshot of what came up next.

Oh, I see, Nordstrom measures the heels from the side. I have always measured my heels from the back, with the ruler being perfectly plumb, that is, perpendicular to the ground, assuming the shoe is resting on a perfectly level surface. So I questioned my method of measurement. Why DO I measure heels from the back? Obviously, I will get a bigger number doing it that way, and my number has little to do with how much standing height increase I will get. Maybe I should change?

Then I realized that Nordstrom's way has a very big flaw, and that is, their method will be highly inconsistent depending on the shape of the heel of any given shoe, giving one little clue as to the true steepness of the shoe. In the Bellafina model, the heel curves from top to bottom substantially forward toward the ball of the foot.

See an example here: https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Womens-Nine-West-Bellafina-Black-Leather/8362771/product.html

Using Nordstrom's measuring method, this gives a substantially shorter measurement compared to a shoe of the same steepness with a heel that comes almost straight down from the back (think about almost anything made by Christian Louboutin). So I am standing by my measuring method after all.

Your thoughts, please!

IMG_8468.PNG

I always measure the heels from the back. I think we all do that. 

For me low is 2/3 inches

medium is 4 

high is 5 

and extreme is 6 or over. 

For a medium size. And no platform  

Lower than 4 isn't high heels anymore for me 

Pierre 

I look for the raise, I need at least 3.5 inch rise, 4 is great, .

I measure from the floor to back of heel/shoe using a measuring tape perpendicular to the surface.

I measure the platform from the surface to the lowest platform/shoe junction.

But the raise is only one part, the other is the shape of the raise/arch and into the toes.

Edited by Cali

The method shown is one of three methods I have seen.  The method shown is the one used when I bought my first pair of "high" 2 7/8" high heels from the now defunct Aldens Catalog in 1970.  Their SkyScraper heels measured 3 1/2" with the shank being nearly verticle.  Another method was to measure on the front side of the heel from the floor to the meeting of the sole.  This took no account for setback heel or thicker block heels. The measurements at the back from floor to top of heel sure seem to be the most accurate method as shape has no effect on that particular location as being common to virtually every common shape of heel.  Too bad the industry hasn't standardized a simple method.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

All, I too have seen/heard of Cali's way and the up the back in a straight line method perpendicular to the floor. Keep in mind also as most of our membership wears heels in sizes larger than 8.5  one has to consider the actual heel height will somewhat higher. Figure about 0.25"/0.6cm in size 10US and 0.5"/1.25cm in size 12 US. So, if you and your date partner are not thinking about this, you will higher than she/he without  realizing it. This is no small point as it can make a heel of a difference :).   Confide before you stride!      HappyinHeels

• Like 1