Skirt n heels. Big city phenomena?

BannedMoron

Where I live, in the backwaters of rural Norway, people wear shorts and flats. Havent seen a lady in a nice skirt for ages, even if the outside temp have been upper 20 Celsius for a week now

A man wearing anything femme, like a pink handkerchief, is doomed forever, thats not only here, but the rest of Norway :-) A man wearing a skirt would be a eyeopener for freedom, but it will not happen.

So today, I visited nearest city. With a pop half of Harlem, but mostly whiteskinned vikings.

All them ladies! And 98% in sneakers and jeans, some nice shorts. Only ONE today swinging about in a skirt -- se the photo; She was a patient sufering from blepharospasm.

So, the fashion today, isnt about skirts and heels, just boring unisex pants and sneakers???

l,fedvc.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry The photo here was an illustration.

THis woman is dressed precisely like she I met today

But I simply cant walk to a strange woman and ask her to model like that. Esp when she was on her way to the doctors appointment.

Sad commentary about today's lack of fashion.  Thre has been a dearth of feminity ever since it became the cool for ladies to dress as a fellow to prove she could do the same performance as a male.  Being female fell out of favor with so many and the advent of the "running, walking, ugly" unisex style of footwear.  I have and do wear some oxford styles meant for females since the heels have just about an extra 1/2" height over the male companion style.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:37 AM, nzfreestyler said:

Yes it is a shame. Women are gorgeous creatures and they do themselves a disservice by dressing drab.

Agreed - and an even bigger disservice by using an adjective when an adverb is required!   :giggle:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

Agreed - and an even bigger disservice by using an adjective when an adverb is required!   :giggle:

Got me there! So much for a university education eh! I should know better (well - to be honest I do know better - but like a lot of things in the modern era, standards are slipping, spoken language, written language etc... and clearly I'm as guilty as the next person for not checking what I've written!)

• Like 1

NZ, give yourself a bit of a break. Your brain sees what it expects to see when it reads what it just wrote. Truth is we all can proof other's written work better than our own. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. To proof your own requires you to step away, let it sit then check it. 

Auto corrected cell phones have only compounded the issue.

• Like 1

You know, on this forum, we tend to write in a more informal manner. I rather appreciate that most everyone writes intelligibly. No worries, @nzfreestyler. Sometimes, I purposefully substitute an adjective for an adverb, just for a colloquial style, which may be an American thing, I don't know. 

Should we elevate this thread to language and skirts on us all? Being a former professor at a local University I know all about language, well then I had to write Norwegian, that would be a Biblic Babels confusion. Let stick to everydays phrases :-)

Oh - the photo;

Thats me, just another day at work. This is Norway 9 months a year. Howling blizzards. No shelter. No cosy fireplace. Only a tiny cairn on the summit to hide behind.

No wonder, when returning home, getting off all them wet clothes a more femme garb will be desired

-to get into the warmth and a hot meal by the fireplace at home sweet home....

IMG_8627 copy.jpg

10 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

Got me there! So much for a university education eh! I should know better (well - to be honest I do know better - but like a lot of things in the modern era, standards are slipping, spoken language, written language etc... and clearly I'm as guilty as the next person for not checking what I've written!)

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

You know, on this forum, we tend to write in a more informal manner. I rather appreciate that most everyone writes intelligibly. No worries, @nzfreestyler. Sometimes, I purposefully substitute an adjective for an adverb, just for a colloquial style, which may be an American thing, I don't know. 

It does appear that dispensing with adverbs in favour of adjectives is common in US speech and writing; I often notice it and am never sure if it is idiom or just plain sloppy.   It is not common in the UK, although one might occasionally hear an expression such as 'He got there quick by car'.

Reminds me of a holiday in Florida years ago when my first wife was browsing in a clothes shop whilst I waited patiently.   An assistant asked me 'Do you like your wife to dress sexy?' - to which I felt obliged to respond 'Well, I much prefer that she uses an adverb'.   And my stock answer to the formulaic 'Have a nice day' (an increasingly common farewell, alas, in the UK) is invariably 'Thank you, but I have other plans'.

O tempora, o mores!

So we are quoting Cicero then. I am more into dices, like when crossing Rubicon. I was firmly on one side, now with hheels and my schizo, I feel more in the deepwaters of that Rubicon:-)

On my website my personal slogan is; Tempus fugit! Memento mori!

Or in extenso by Virgils who said; Sed fugit interea, fugit irreparabile tempus, singula dum capti circumvectamur amore!

Which is always true for us mountaineers. Stay in the safe path in the middle of that ridge, tread carefully but with tempo -- then you can reach the summit of everything.

I did never really got that, beeing fundamental afraid of heights, might be the reason why I never will cross Rubicon, or as we can see on the photo ---

You see two people and a cairn on the mountain at the end of the steep ridge; my friends yelling at me,  I did as Caesar, but that Rubicon / saddle in the bottom scared the sh... of me. Sorry. But we are still friends, even if they now consider me a pussy in high mountains :-)

IMG_1592 copy.jpg

Old Mountain,

Fascinated by your Arctic work. The mountains, are they in Norway north of the CIrcle?? I realize Norway is insanely mild along the coast for its latitude but the Ntimer line away from the coast has got to be quite low, say at 1500 m or so?? One day, my wife and I will drive all the way to NordKapp and watch the northern Lights. Take care and stay warm...those nine months a year.  HappyinHeels

2 hours ago, OldMountain said:

Which is always true for us mountaineers. Stay in the safe path in the middle of that ridge, tread carefully but with tempo -- then you can reach the summit of everything.

I did never really got that, beeing fundamental afraid of heights, might be the reason why I never will cross Rubicon, or as we can see on the photo ---

You see two people and a cairn on the mountain at the end of the steep ridge; my friends yelling at me,  I did as Caesar, but that Rubicon / saddle in the bottom scared the sh... of me. Sorry. But we are still friends, even if they now consider me a pussy in high mountains :-)

IMG_1592 copy.jpg

Wow - very similar tops (in summer) to the southern alps here in New Zealand. I climb and tramp a lot, I've climbed most of NZ peaks, and there are only a few places I have not clambered through.

The only challenge I have is finding crampons that will fit high heels !

2 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

The only challenge I have is finding crampons that will fit high heels !

The toe piece is ease, small kids crampons, it's the stiletto crampons that's hard to find.

• Like 1

The mountain is two hours SOUTH of Trondheim :-)

Look at the map: find Skei in Surnadal kommune, Møre og Romsdal fylke.

You can ride a bus from Trondheim to Skei  From Skei its a 30 min drive westwards to Todalen, there you will find a lot of people who can tell you where the footpath starts, actually at the farm Nordvik, one of the first farms you drive by in Todalen.

The mountain is called Indre Sula and it is 1325 m. a.s.l. Thats quite high so close to the sea :-)

• 1 month later...

Back tot he Op's topic:

It might just be a Norway problem.  Girls in the US even outside the cities where heels and skirts.  Many do where pants, but a decent amount dress much better.  I dress in skirts daily since my husband took away all my pants.  Maybe that what you need to do with the girls in Norway. lol.  Some times I wear tights under, but never pants.

I recall hearing a story about the comments of a male on a talk back radio program in the UK (Norfolk area). He said he was fed up of not seeing women wearing skirts and heels, always seeming to walk and act like 'pseudo males'. The story also stated that the radio's studio switchboard lit up like a Christmas tree as feminists rushed to condemn the man. His wife was said to have later stated that she always wore skirts and heels, adding by her own choice not her husband forcing her to do so.

A school here in England has actually banned girls from wearing skirts in what they describe as a move towards "gender neutrality" and also (supposedly) to make any trans students feel more comfortable. This too has made switchboards light up, mainly with outrage.

1 hour ago, Heelster said:

Geez - - I don't see skirts and heels much at all. Once I get into a major city, I'll see a few, but not often.

Locally - - - not even on a Sunday.

Neither do I - and I live in a major city.

Skirts are the best in summer - so much cooler ! Maxi skirts are cooler than shorts too and quite trendy in some beautiful digital prints so maybe there will be more skirts to see this summer ??

Personally when I wear skirts if the hemline is around my knee then a high heel is essential - it just looks right. Knee length doesn't look right with flats. Given the trend for these larger bodies full skirts around the knee then there may be more high heel action to come ?

• Like 2