Advice on flats

Pointer7

Hi All, 

Hope everyone is well.. 

I am looking for some new flats (ideally ladies) but are quite discreet. I've worn my other flats in public but I want something a bit more daring now (starting from off small!) anyone know any good brands? Not up to wearing heels in public yet 

• Like 2

Ooooh I love flats too. Heels are great, but starting out flats are ideal.

I always start in New Look as they have the best selection, but also frequently go to office for something a little more special :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies :)

the clarks one certainly look good, i currently have these, pair of black tights and black jeans they are ideal really but fancy a change!

will search ebay for clarks I think

s-l1600.jpg

Gidday,

if you want something a little bit more daring as you said, the point of difference is really the pointy toe, so look for a unadorned pointed toe patent leather flat, ideally with a lower vamp. That transition is a milestone in ones evolution in heels.

In terms of where & what brands to purchase - well best to try them out as shoes sizes vary a lot between brands. I have quite a few Nine West shoes and they are well made and have large range of sizings, here are a few current styles as an idea?

_03.JPG.d35ac66d4e4759587b61f30b1bbf4158.JPG_02.JPG.3a4f0fce9551f815718f135d4452e256.JPG_01.JPG.edcd5964fcc4f016a7f1b421db22cca3.JPG

• Like 2

Pointer, There are lot's of flats to be had out there, you just have to find the ones that you like.  I love gals flat sandals, that is pretty much what I wore as a teen and adult - until I was "bit" by the "high heel bug" about 20 years ago.   Gals flats look nice, are fun to wear and very versatile.  Enjoy you search!!  I like the pic of the shoes that you posted, simple but stylish.  Have fun.....  sf  

Here is a pic of me in a pair of flat thongs - simple and fun to wear....  

IMG_1764.jpg

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I generally wear booties in spring and boots in winter, so I have no real advice on flats, but, make sure your flat is not too high up the tower block and is near some decent shoe shops :P

flat.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, I went shopping in my flats the other night and it was great, just want to find a pair that are a bit of both then I'll be more confident to wear them during the day...... 

Not being British, I always thought it amusing (in a good way) the what we here in the U.S. call an "apartment," you call a "flat."  English, gotta love it !!  ha ha...    

Have fun....   sg

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 4 months later...

I just started wearing a black tights (or pantyhose 120D) under my skinny jeans when wearing any of my flats and noticed that less people or none of them seems to notice that im wearing a ladies footwear. I have not tried it wearing my stiletto pumps and i guess that the result will be different, its hard not to notice a guy wearing a pointy toe stiletto heels

Edited by hernaezjames
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 12:18 PM, nzfreestyler said:

Gidday,

if you want something a little bit more daring as you said, the point of difference is really the pointy toe, so look for a unadorned pointed toe patent leather flat, ideally with a lower vamp. That transition is a milestone in ones evolution in heels.

In terms of where & what brands to purchase - well best to try them out as shoes sizes vary a lot between brands. I have quite a few Nine West shoes and they are well made and have large range of sizings, here are a few current styles as an idea?

_03.JPG.d35ac66d4e4759587b61f30b1bbf4158.JPG_02.JPG.3a4f0fce9551f815718f135d4452e256.JPG_01.JPG.edcd5964fcc4f016a7f1b421db22cca3.JPG

Wearing any of these styles (or similar) would be fun because they're more womens shoes because of the pointy toe, they're prettier but with opaque/high denier hosiery they would be hard to distinguish as has been suggested here.

Isn't the point to push the boundary a little - in that sense the bare forefoot from a low vamped shoe is a key differentiation in footwear - and a flat shoe is not that noticeable from my experience. Sure I don't wear flats much at all nowadays, but I used to a lot, and I learnt I could get away with far more than I believed possible. Most guys for instance just won't notice flats.

Heels are different, mainly because of the noise, especially chunkier heels as they're noisier. As the heel gets higher and you can walk really well it will definitely be your hips and arms that give you away as well as the sound of your shoes. I also learnt that because it was the sound and the silhouette of the body/walk it actually made little difference whether a heeled pump was worn barefoot or with socks/hosiery - it was just as obvious, so I wore what I preferred to wear, which was to show the shoe better, bare feet etc...

I suppose my point is - just try it with a slightly more feminine/pretty style that you'd love to openly wear - be it flat or heeled - and do so with barefeet/ neutral hosiery, hold your head high and you'll be surprised - pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

• Like 1

I wear flats quite often, especially when I have to do some walking. I find that wearing them in cold weather is much more comfortable with opaque or sheer hosiery. Whether people notice less or not, I don't know. I've long stopped paying attention to how others react to what I wear.

Whatever you wear, have fun doing it!

Steve