Advice for stretching leather sandals

jeremy1986

Hi All

I just got my new heels I ordered - I am so excited.... BUT - the front strap is a little tight.

What's the best and easiest way to stretch them? Can it be done at all? They are leather so hopefully it can be done...??!

(pictures of me in them forthcoming...)

6095863-1-black.jpg

6095863-4.jpg

It can be done, but must be done carefully, or you'll break that front strap, and it might not happen immediately. It might happen while you're out and about several days later, and cause you great anguish. Don't ask me how I know this.

What I would suggest doing, since you say they're just a little bit tight, is to use the Steve Method. Actually, I'd probably use a modified Steve Method, since it's just that thin little strap in the front. The Steve Method, as promulgated by @Steve63130, is to squeeze into your sandals, get into the shower, and soak them real good until the leather relaxes a bit. Then you can kind of scrunch everything around like you want it. After that, you should wear the sandals continuously until they dry, and that should stretch them out, pretty much in one shot. This process will take several continuous hours, so don't begin unless you have the time.

Since you just need to stretch the one strap (technically two, I guess), I don't think you really need to take a shower in them, you could get the same effect simply by getting those straps good and wet with a rag, or by immersing your toes in a pan of water or something.

Again, it's very important that you don't remove the sandals until they are completely dry, or they may become a shape that is not the shape of your foot, and that would be bad! I think this method should work fairly well for you. Good luck! And thanks to Steve!

You can use the "Steve method", but also use thick socks at the same time.

You could get shoe stretchers,  they come with "Shoe Stretching Liquid" that says to put it on the outside of the tight spot and walk in them for 15 minutes.

Shoestrechershh.JPG

• Like 1

Just be careful if you shower in heels like that. Soap will make the shower floor treacherous and you risk slipping. I would advise Mlroseplant's suggestion of a pan of water. Sit (don't stand) with your feet in the water so that the strap is totally submerged. When it is thoroughly soaked, take the shoes out of the water, dry them with a towel, dry your feet, and wear them until the leather dries, stretched to conform to your feet. Be very careful on shiny surfaces like polished marble!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, it's not really Steve's Method and I don't take any credit for it. It's an old army trick (back when soldiers wore leather combat boots) taught to me in boy scouts, and it's worked for me ever since. It works better on leather than man-made materials, but it does help with both.

Steve

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Thanks Gang

PS - no comments on the heels?? :cheeky:

Minimalistic design, I like it, but I know I can't wear them. My toe box is too thick for that strap.

• Like 1

jeremy1986,

There are several ways to go about this. The "Steve method" may indeed work. You may also slip, crack your head against the hard floor, and have to airlifted to the nearest trauma center (Level 1), to have emergency surgery to reduce the inevitable swelling. One way I have tried is spraying clean and unsoftened water on the area to be stretched, placing a shoe stretcher inside the vamp, turn the triangular handle enough to get about a 1/4" or less space, and place entire thing in freezer overnight. This should stretch the material to make a noticeable difference. Like others said though, be careful as to not cause damage the strap since the area to be stretched is smaller than normal. If you are concerned about it then reduce the time in the freezer. It is quite possible you could simply place a stretcher in the shoe for an hour and that may indeed work. Whatever you do the stretcher can effectively make the shoe as if it were up to 1/2 size bigger but no more than that. It does nothing to the length of the last or unit. Also, I find I put an extra hole in the strap of about every third or fourth heel I get so the strap does fit better. Any shoe should start to fit better with actual use. After all, none of us should be buying heels we are not enjoying somewhere. Give one of these methods a try and the odds of success are very high. May your shoes fit like gloves and their heels command every venue.  HappyinHeels 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 8:13 AM, mlroseplant said:

It can be done, but must be done carefully, or you'll break that front strap, and it might not happen immediately. It might happen while you're out and about several days later, and cause you great anguish. Don't ask me how I know this.

What I would suggest doing, since you say they're just a little bit tight, is to use the Steve Method. Actually, I'd probably use a modified Steve Method, since it's just that thin little strap in the front. The Steve Method, as promulgated by @Steve63130, is to squeeze into your sandals, get into the shower, and soak them real good until the leather relaxes a bit. Then you can kind of scrunch everything around like you want it. After that, you should wear the sandals continuously until they dry, and that should stretch them out, pretty much in one shot. This process will take several continuous hours, so don't begin unless you have the time.

Since you just need to stretch the one strap (technically two, I guess), I don't think you really need to take a shower in them, you could get the same effect simply by getting those straps good and wet with a rag, or by immersing your toes in a pan of water or something.

Again, it's very important that you don't remove the sandals until they are completely dry, or they may become a shape that is not the shape of your foot, and that would be bad! I think this method should work fairly well for you. Good luck! And thanks to Steve!

Wouldn't that give you blisters? When i wore new booties Rag & bone harrows black leather i forgot my ankle socks decided to go barefoot. Found my foot was getting warm even perspiring a tad so it was bit humid with my foot encapsulated in tight fitted booties.  Only few hours i felt pain along my small toes and back heel blisters for sure. Once i took them off i could see the damage where the bootie fit all to snug. Took weeks for the blisters to heel and months for red scarring to fade away.  

Find it very risky to stretch your heels using your foot as the tool. Last thing you want is blemished feet all season healing exposing them wearing open toe sandals. 

Edited by MackyHeels

You are so right about that. When skin gets wet, it gets very soft and is even more susceptible to blisters. To keep your feet in a "no blister" zone, wear sheer nylon hosiery to act as a barrier between your skin and the shoe you are trying to stretch. And if there is too much tightness, you may have to do the treatment more than once. The first time, just wear them sitting and doing some light walking around. The second time, you can do more aggressive walking and standing. If you start to feel any rubbing or blisters, take the time to pad the area with moleskin or something to cushion the skin. Once you feel pain, it's too late!

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve63130 said:

You are so right about that. When skin gets wet, it gets very soft and is even more susceptible to blisters. To keep your feet in a "no blister" zone, wear sheer nylon hosiery to act as a barrier between your skin and the shoe you are trying to stretch. And if there is too much tightness, you may have to do the treatment more than once. The first time, just wear them sitting and doing some light walking around. The second time, you can do more aggressive walking and standing. If you start to feel any rubbing or blisters, take the time to pad the area with moleskin or something to cushion the skin. Once you feel pain, it's too late!

Steve

Your right about barrier with hosiery. Everytime i wear thin female matching ankle socks which does the job. While i walk around for couple hours i feel pressure points even see after i pull off the booties red swollen pinky toe and heel. While i know the bootie size is smaller than normal the other footwear i just have to be smarter about the duration i wear them. Although find the exact same harrow suede booties i own stretch better then black leather calfskin.  

18 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

Wouldn't that give you blisters? When i wore new booties Rag & bone harrows black leather i forgot my ankle socks decided to go barefoot. Found my foot was getting warm even perspiring a tad so it was bit humid with my foot encapsulated in tight fitted booties.  Only few hours i felt pain along my small toes and back heel blisters for sure. Once i took them off i could see the damage where the bootie fit all to snug. Took weeks for the blisters to heel and months for red scarring to fade away.  

Find it very risky to stretch your heels using your foot as the tool. Last thing you want is blemished feet all season healing exposing them wearing open toe sandals. 

It depends on how tight the shoes are to begin with. I certainly wouldn't suggest going for a two mile walk using the Steve Method. It's definitely best to relax and read a book or do housework or something, a combination of sitting and standing with very spare walking. I am wary of using a mechanical stretcher with sandals that delicate because I've broken straps before, and that's just a bummer. They work great for sturdier sandals or regular shoes, but that one little band of leather just doesn't take too much torture.

I hear you about the blisters, but I have managed to avoid blisters for years. Well, except for when I burned my hand on a hot drill bit a couple months ago, but that has nothing to do with shoes! I always carry a Band-Aid (sticking plaster) with me for such emergencies, and I'm very careful about what shoes I'm wearing if I'm going to be out very long. It's tempting to wear new shoes out, because we're so excited about them, but quite inadvisable until they become a known quantity.

I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about wearing hosiery with sandals, but using the Steve Method is the ONE time I would agree with Steve himself that's it's OK to wear hosiery with your sandals! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

• Like 1

I would always advocate wearing hosiery with heels, particularly if you are going shopping or more heels, as it makes putting on/taking off those shoes much quicker and easier. Wearing your heels barefoot is fine if your feet are taken care of and your shoes are going to stay in place. Wearing your own hosiery avoid having to use the "try-ons" you see wherever shoes are sold. Since I have seen some people actually put used try-ons back in the box I am glad I always ( I mean without fail always) am wearing hosiery when shopping for shoes or any sort of pants. Knee-highs most days and thigh-highs on others. The skirt and dress members know the value of good hosiery and leg look. I think Steve63130 has been an avid booster for wearing hosiery but can't recall why that is. My active memory is sometimes hosed :)    HappyinHeels

Are you serious? You can't remember? I'm an advocate of hosiery for lots of reasons: wicking perspiration away for better foot health, minimizing bacteria and foot odor, more comfortespecially with non-leather shoes, easier to get shoes on and off, better blood circulation if the hosiery has spandex in it to provide some compression, and better appearance by covering up skin blemishes. The only disadvantage is that it can hide a nice looking pedi, but toe-less hosiery is available. And in light of full disclosure, my company, G. Lieberman & Sons, sells hosiery especially made for men. We have sheer and opaque, waist high, thigh high and knee high, bodystockings, and a broad selection of sexy loungewear. www.glieberman.com will get you there. 

Steve

• Like 1