High Heeling in Mainz/Frankfurt area, Germany

Jura

Hello all, couple of questions for any of our German members if that's ok? I find myself with a weekend to kill in the Mainz/Frankfurt area in a couple of days and, as I'm on my own in towns where no-one knows me, I thought I might push the boat out style-wise. I often wear heels and men's jeans in the daytime with no problems all over Europe, but I was hoping to try wearing leggings/jeggings, maybe hose/tights and a skirt or shorts.

I'm sure I'll stand out as I'm clearly not trying to pass as a woman, being 6'3" with a long goatie beard, I just want to enjoy my weekend in a care free manner. I've not booked hotels yet, so I'm not fixed on the location either, so any suggestions welcome! 

So, the questions are; 

1) Where in the area is 'safe' for someone dressed out of the norm. I'm looking for somewhere with a laid back attitude, and, though I guess they're everywhere these days, trying to avoid the drunken idiots and those out for trouble. I'm quite capable of handling myself if it comes to it, but I'd rather not have to! 

2) Any areas to actively avoid, for the above reasons.

3) What are the streets like to walk in heels? I'm pretty good in stilettos, but cobbles can try the best of us! 

4) Any cool attractions to visit in the area? I'm happy to wander round the shops and cafes etc, but are there any good parks, zoos, historical buildings, and museums (especially auto museums, I'm a bit of a petrolhead!) that are worth a look? 

Many thanks in advance, and yes, I'll try to get some photos to share :cheeky:

• Like 1

Hi,

you might want to stop by at the Palmengarten in Frankfurt city, one of the largest botanical gardens in that area. Take a look here. Just a coincidence, but there will be a "festival of lights" taking place on Saturday in the Palmengarten starting at around 7 pm and ending at around 10:45 pm with large fireworks. See translation here.

Other than that, the MainTower, also located in Frankfurt, is the highest vantage point above Frankfurt and allows a magnificient view. Make sure to bring your camera. More info here.

For going to a Zoo, you actually would have to travel slightly outside of Frankfurt, to the OpelZoo, which is located approx. 30 km outside of Frankfurt, about 30 minutes to drive by car. It's not soooo overwhelming, so if you aren't a big fan of animals, you might want to settle for the Palmengarten instead.

That's as much as I know of Frankfurt. For safe zones, avoid anything that's close to the central train station, as there is the red light district close by and you might receive unpleasent treatment there, especially during evening hours. In general, I am not aware of any areas with a "laid back attitude". Neither Frankfurt nor Mainz are totally "laid back", but are also not totally conservative. Just use the usual caution just as with any larger city.

When it comes to streets, there are some cobbled streets in Frankfurt, but more so in Mainz. Personally, I haven't been so often in Mainz, so I can't really say anything about any things to see there. I searched for auto museums, but couldn't find any around the Mainz/Frankfurt area - every auto museum is at least 1-2 hours away.

Hope you still receive this information in time to use it :-)

Enjoy!

Thanks Freestyle75, some good pointers there! 

Unfortunately work got in the way again on Friday/Saturday, but I've tried to make up for it today. Just got back from a few hours wandering around the old bit of Frankfurt, stopping for an excellent lunch and beer in the main square. 

Got a couple of funny looks, but mostly I was ignored. Took a bravery pill as I went with shorts and hose for the first time in daylight, along with the new ankle boots I bought in Payless on my US trip earlier this year. Really pleased with them, though the heel is slippery as hell and needs a rubber foot. And really pleased with my outfit too, so much so I'm thinking of going out in something a bit racier later! 

What do you think? 

IMG_5900.JPG

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Very cool, very freestyle. 

Thank you! 

I'm in Mainz now, had a good walk around the town, followed by some dinner at an old street restaurant near the Dom (cathedral). Didn't manage to get anyone to take my photo this time, so you'll have to make do with this 'bottom-half selfie' from the hotel terrace bar :cheeky:

IMG_5908.JPG

• Like 5

Jura :  Who took your picture? Love the fact that your doing the public thing. Off the subject question.

Last year, 2016 I was in Frankfort. Is the street in front of the Bohnhof cleared or cleaned up yet?

spikesmike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spikesmike said:

Jura :  Who took your picture? Love the fact that your doing the public thing. Off the subject question.

Last year, 2016 I was in Frankfort. Is the street in front of the Bohnhof cleared or cleaned up yet?

spikesmike

Thanks Mike, the pic was taken by a couple of Japanese students who said hello, so I imposed on them! No such luck in Mainz I'm afraid. 

Not sure of the area you're talking about I'm afraid, I'm based out of town for a few days and only drove in for a wander today, sorry! 

Feeling much more confident now, might try a shopping mall tomorrow...

Well...what should I say? I am torn. I am torn between something positive along Jkrenzer's answer, basically reminding myself that this forum is about people who want to explore and extend boundaries when it comes to men's fashion. Then again, I do think that freestyle should not mean lack of style, but rather that you manage to cross a line but in a way that people see you and those with some (limited) fashion sense will go and say: cool! or even "wow!". However I can't see this in the outfit you have chosen.

Why? First, because it was very sunny and warm in Frankfurt. Look around... and you will see lots and lots of women wearing sneakers or flats (unfortunately), or some of them wearing sandals. The pumps in your second picture fit much, much better to the current weather than those boots. Personally, I don't wear boots in summer time, and that's the first thing that's kind of "off" for me in your outfit. I also think that the beige boots would fit better with a long blue jeggings or skinny jeans instead of a black hose. Use Kuler to find colors that are complementary to each other.

Second, the hose/shorts/t-shirt: I have a hard time putting this into diplomatic words, for me this just doesn't work. It does work if you are an anorexic fashion model with very slim legs and tuck the shirt into your shorts and have a shirt that clings to your body to emphasize a narrow midsection. Even if you are ok with the hose/shorts, the loose T-Shirt completely destroys the outfit, there is nothing holding it together.

Having said this, I do think that - at least from what I can see - your second outfit is better. Pumps fit better in the current weather, flesh-colored (light) hose is better, pumps & top do match in color (black). If your top actually is a dress, I could imagine that this could work very well.

I am sorry to be so harsh, but I am always quite blunt with my replies. If you do indeed visit a mall, find some female sales clerk and ask her what she would change in the outfit you wear to improve it. If she is totally negative upfront, find a different one. You have already made the step to go out as much freestyle as you can go out, and you are in a foreign city. I've had some of the best shopping trips when I was very open to the sales clerks.

Again, kudos to you for embracing what you love - you shouldn't realize when you are 80 how many things you would have liked to do, so keep rockin' !

• Like 1

Jura

I think you look great buddy!  Very nice legs also.  You have captured a look I can only try to achieve, the best of both worlds, love it!  Great booties and nice dark hose, kudos to you!  Don't mind admitting I am very envious, sure hope you had some fun and got some positive reactions...

Don

22 hours ago, freestyle75 said:

Well...what should I say? I am torn. I am torn between something positive along Jkrenzer's answer, basically reminding myself that this forum is about people who want to explore and extend boundaries when it comes to men's fashion. Then again, I do think that freestyle should not mean lack of style, but rather that you manage to cross a line but in a way that people see you and those with some (limited) fashion sense will go and say: cool! or even "wow!". However I can't see this in the outfit you have chosen.

Why? First, because it was very sunny and warm in Frankfurt. Look around... and you will see lots and lots of women wearing sneakers or flats (unfortunately), or some of them wearing sandals. The pumps in your second picture fit much, much better to the current weather than those boots. Personally, I don't wear boots in summer time, and that's the first thing that's kind of "off" for me in your outfit. I also think that the beige boots would fit better with a long blue jeggings or skinny jeans instead of a black hose. Use Kuler to find colors that are complementary to each other.

Second, the hose/shorts/t-shirt: I have a hard time putting this into diplomatic words, for me this just doesn't work. It does work if you are an anorexic fashion model with very slim legs and tuck the shirt into your shorts and have a shirt that clings to your body to emphasize a narrow midsection. Even if you are ok with the hose/shorts, the loose T-Shirt completely destroys the outfit, there is nothing holding it together.

Having said this, I do think that - at least from what I can see - your second outfit is better. Pumps fit better in the current weather, flesh-colored (light) hose is better, pumps & top do match in color (black). If your top actually is a dress, I could imagine that this could work very well.

I am sorry to be so harsh, but I am always quite blunt with my replies. If you do indeed visit a mall, find some female sales clerk and ask her what she would change in the outfit you wear to improve it. If she is totally negative upfront, find a different one. You have already made the step to go out as much freestyle as you can go out, and you are in a foreign city. I've had some of the best shopping trips when I was very open to the sales clerks.

Again, kudos to you for embracing what you love - you shouldn't realize when you are 80 how many things you would have liked to do, so keep rockin' !

Hmmm, we'll all feedback is greatly appreciated, and you make some valid points. In my defence; 

Yes, a lot of girls on a hot sunny day are wearing sandals or sneakers, along with nice flowery summer dresses, but I spotted at least a dozen rocking the shorts and black hose look, as well as many in ankle boots. And it also slightly misses the point that I'm not trying to dress as a girl, if I did I'd not have a beard! I'm just trying to find a style of my own, it's a process but I'm getting there. 

I totally agree about the loose t-shirt, but unfortunately the last time I had a waistline rather than a belly was a good few years ago. I'd much prefer to have it all trim and proper, and the weight is slowly dropping off (lost 20 odd pounds this year so far), but for now it's loose tops only I'm afraid! 

The second outfit is just a change of bottom half to a skirt and pumps, same shirt I'm afraid. The hose are 120 denier flesh coloured opaques that I found and love, must find some more! I can't shave my legs for various reasons, and I also have some fairly large tattoos there too (you can see a bit of one showing through on my left calf), but the cool thing is you can add pretty much any other light denier hose over the top, and get a similar effect to nice clean shaved legs, ideal. 

Finally, I should say, I live pretty much out of a suitcase for over 300 days a year for work, so my portable wardrobe of 'fun' clothes and shoes is somewhat limited. Still managed to cram 4 pairs of heels in though! 

Sorry if I come over as overly defensive, I don't mean to, just as I'm sure you didn't want to sound overly critical. But this weekend has been a big step forward for me confidence wise, and I'm sure better things are to come. And if we all looked exactly the same it'd be a boring old world, and this Forum wouldn't exist. 

Best (heeled, of course) foot forward :cheeky:

Edited by Jura
Smelling milkshakes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pebblesf said:

Jura

I think you look great buddy!  Very nice legs also.  You have captured a look I can only try to achieve, the best of both worlds, love it!  Great booties and nice dark hose, kudos to you!  Don't mind admitting I am very envious, sure hope you had some fun and got some positive reactions...

Don

Thanks Don, yeah, it was a fun weekend! Sure I got some funny looks and sniggers, but I got a good few supportive compliments too, which was cool. Finished up chatting away with three American tourists in the hotel bar late last night, one of whom reckoned she's going to get her boyfriend some heels when she gets home! 

Back to work with a bump today though, but the suitcase will be out again as soon as I can find the time..,

We must all find the style we are comfortable in. In some sense I am envious of some of you that wear skirts or dresses out and about, that is (for now) outside my comfort zone. It took me a while to get where I am at. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tomham said:

Hello Jura,

I really like the photos you have posted and I hope you had a great time in Germany. Could you please send me some of the 'bravery pills'? :cheeky:

Tom

Tom, I wish I could send you some "bravery pills," but I can't. It took me about 4 years before I was truly comfortable being out in heels all the time. The first time out in heels is a big step, but it is one of many steps in the journey. 

Jura certainly made a bold statement with his outfit, and for that I applaud him. It's not my style, but I have been down the same exact road as him, wondering if I can wear what I want, and whether people will accept it.

You too, will go down that same road. I recommend taking it slowly, step by step, and you will gain confidence. I will admit, even now, there are some days I don't have the energy to be confident enough to wear what I really want in all situations, but it brings some balance to one's life. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Tom, I wish I could send you some "bravery pills," but I can't. It took me about 4 years before I was truly comfortable being out in heels all the time. The first time out in heels is a big step, but it is one of many steps in the journey. 

Jura certainly made a bold statement with his outfit, and for that I applaud him. It's not my style, but I have been down the same exact road as him, wondering if I can wear what I want, and whether people will accept it.

You too, will go down that same road. I recommend taking it slowly, step by step, and you will gain confidence. I will admit, even now, there are some days I don't have the energy to be confident enough to wear what I really want in all situations, but it brings some balance to one's life. 

Thanks a lot for your encouraging & thoughtful words :-) I have been out in my heels for quite some time but not as often as I would like to and I often limit my heel wearing to certain places ( usually not a crowded place). I'm still working on the idea of incorporating my heels into my daily wear. 

I agree with you, Jura really made a statement with his outfit and aside from liking his outfit or not, I am really impressed by him. I also like the idea of not hiding his masculinity and combining that with a unisex style. 

• Like 1

Thank s again for the kind comments guys, it's really encouraging! Hopefully I'll get the chance to repeat my fun weekend soon, and I'll be sure to keep you posted. Got some more ideas for outfits already, so we'll see how I progress ;) 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, Jura said:

And it also slightly misses the point that I'm not trying to dress as a girl, if I did I'd not have a beard! I'm just trying to find a style of my own, it's a process but I'm getting there. 

For a long time I wore a beard and went out and about wearing thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels.  The beard, in my mind, made sure I didn't try serious CD.  I did have a lot of fun wearing my boots and even a skirt but there were a number of hhplace members that did not understand why I kept my beard.  After a while I didn't understand it either and shaved it off.  The only comment I got for a good friend was, "I never liked it anyway."  I've been having fun ever since.

Like you say, "Its' a process" and my only advice is let yourself be yourself.

:wavey:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/6/2017 at 11:57 PM, Thighbootguy said:

The beard, in my mind, made sure I didn't try serious CD.

Well did it work ?

On 23/6/2017 at 11:57 PM, Thighbootguy said:

After a while I didn't understand it either and shaved it off

So did you changed your mind regarding trying CD, or did you think it was not necessary to keep you from the dark side ?

Edited by Gudulitooo

8 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

Well did it work ?

Having the beard did keep me from serious CD but after I shaved it off, I muddled around for a while then I went for the dark side.  But then folks have said I've "been in the dark" for most of my life.  :penitent:

:wavey:

Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.