Shorts?

Are you ten years old? Are you performing some sport? Are you doing some work in hot conditions?  Then you are allowed to wear shorts.

Are you older than ten doing none of the above?  Wear trousers.

Agreed - - My legs are ugly enough

Now - - around the house - - Miniskirt. More comfortable than jeans or shorts. It's not like my neighbors could actually see me.

3 hours ago, meganiwish said:

Are you ten years old? Are you performing some sport? Are you doing some work in hot conditions?  Then you are allowed to wear shorts.

Are you older than ten doing none of the above?  Wear trousers.

Who made you the Minister of Shorts????  "Allowed to wears shorts."  LOL 

I'm decades and decades and.. older than 10 and I wear shorts and heels all summer long. At work, everywhere.

I even have worn my shorts with my calf high boots, to work no less..

Maybe not in cloudy England, but here by the beach on the California coast shorts RULE!!!!!!!!!! 

Edit:

PS I have nice shaped legs, tan, with just the right amount of hair.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

The only really strong bias I have about shorts and people wearing shorts is when I see them being worn on airplanes.  The beach look just doesn't cut it on airplanes. When I was little I remember my mother always dressing up for travelling - gloves, hat, the works. She was of the generation that did such things as a matter of course. A bit of that rubbed off on me.

But yes - depending on where you live, shorts can be part of the daily wear. Perhaps not in Britain, but certainly in other parts of the globe. As an Australian I am quite happy to wear shorts - although I know I'll never look as cool in them as the Desert Rats! :cheeky:

Edited by Shyheels

12 hours ago, Cali said:

I'm decades and decades and.. older than 10 and I wear shorts and heels all summer long. At work, everywhere.

Maybe not in cloudy England, but here by the beach on the California coast shorts RULE!!!!!!!!!! 

Edit:

Yeah buddy!  Why not wear shorts if you have nice legs, age is not a factor....

Wish I had nice legs...

Down here in Oz, apart from a few weeks in 'winter', I wear shorts virtually all the time as does just about everybody else of both sexes. I even know of some business people who wear shorts to'from work and change at the office. Even my PJ's are 'shorts' during the warm summer months.

22 hours ago, Cali said:

Edit:

I'm entirely self appointed.  We in the Ministry of Shorts, or Minishort as it will be in Newspeak (not to be confused with the Ministry of Skirts, or Miniskirt, which will make the maxi skirt compulsory) are mostly concerned with what happens in Nebulandia, as England is to be renamed.  Californians can get on with doing things much as they like, being stuck out there on the westernmost fringes. ;) We need Californians, much as the Medieval world needed 'Here be dragons.'  No sane person quite believes in them.  The mythical status of Californians owes much to the writings of The Mamas & The Papas and The Beach Boys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meganiwish said:

I'm entirely self appointed.  We in the Ministry of Shorts, or Minishort as it will be in Newspeak (not to be confused with the Ministry of Skirts, or Miniskirt, which will make the maxi skirt compulsory) are mostly concerned with what happens in Nebulandia, as England is to be renamed.  Californians can get on with doing things much as they like, being stuck out there on the westernmost fringes. ;) We need Californians, much as the Medieval world needed 'Here be dragons.'  No sane person quite believes in them.  The mythical status of Californians owes much to the writings of The Mamas & The Papas and The Beach Boys.

Of course you are The Self-Appointed Nebulandia Minishort.  After seeing how fast Nuebulandiars burn I can understand why you have to in act such a silly decry.

As you sit there in your maxi skirt under gray skies of Nebulandia reading the internet on your device from those mythical Californians just remember you NEED us "Edge of the World Dreamers" in shorts inventing the next latest and greatest. And some of us are doing it in high heels and shorts.

bamboosmall.jpg

Edited by Cali

I've been to California.  I did the walk of fear between the Greyhound bus station and the wonderful Trailways one, the Art Deco one in LA shared with the rail station.  The most terrifying walk I've ever made, and it was in daylight. In March 1989 I left my snood in San Francisco, though I suppose it could have been worse https://www.vevo.com/watch/tony-bennett/i-left-my-heart-in-san-francisco-(from-mtv-unplugged)/USSM19400753  Still, I was very fond of it, and sad to lose it.  I went to San Diego Zoo. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=paul+Simon+down+at+the+zoo&view=detail&mid=127C3E0C7FDA68F0EB06127C3E0C7FDA68F0EB06&FORM=VIRE  Wrong zoo, I know, but I don't know of any songs about San Diego Zoo, which confirms me in my belief that California is the figment of a deranged imagination.  We want it to exist, but I think it might have been the mushrooms I had with breakfast.

• Like 1

Megan dear, me thinks its the mushrooms you had with breakfast.  But at least you have been to California.  But 30 years ago...time for a new visit. Just remember to bring your sun screen, you Brits burn really fast.  I also need to make it over the pond, haven't been to jolly ode England since the summer of 69.

Now here's your San Diego Zoo song; enjoy!

Edited by Cali

Thank you for the song.  I enjoyed it very much.

I fear you might find Old England a little changed since 1969.  We were visited by a thing called a Thatcher that broke it and stole all the milk. They used to make picturesque roofs, but one turned evil.  https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=INCOH2&PC=IC04&PTAG=ICO-af4fe336&q=old+england+the+waterboys

What's the Sunset Pig that Joni Mitchell says she'll kiss?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm39YkGrHp8

Megan my dear you have been living under the gray skies way too long. Come out here to where the sun hits the surf. Wear your short skirts and HIGH heels and have some fun.  Last time I visited jolly old England some of my cousins didn't even have indoor plumbing.

Anything else?

===============\

“The Sunset Pig,” was an actual pet pig whose owner ran a bar in Malibu, near Laurel Canyon in LA, where Joni Mitchell lived. Each evening patrons would gather to cheer as the sun set into the Pacific Ocean.

(I googled it)

Edited by Cali

meganiwish,

I agree shorts probably aren't good for place travel as there's too much casual going on too much of the time. Summers in North America, most of the world for that matter, are much hotter than the British Isles. Temperatures exceed 90F/32C in every U.S. state and every province of Canada during the summer months. Even nighttime temperatures sometimes do not go under 70F/21C over much of the U.S and parts of Canada on some summer nights. So, shorts can be very useful over here. Besides if you have the legs for it I say wear them. It's the only way you'll get a tan to go along with those summer heels! HappyinHeels

22 hours ago, Cali said:

Last time I visited jolly old England some of my cousins didn't even have indoor plumbing.

This 'indoor plumbing' you speak of, that's normal in California, is it?

Would that it were that simple.  Eric Burdon can't be much younger than the mother I've to look out for (not a burden, though).  They must be new animals, surely.  The elephants, parrots and tortoises might be original, but the rest of the originals must be long gone.  And surely the place to see him at his best would be in the morning on the East Coast.  You've never lived if you haven't seen the sunrise over the North Sea.  Once you've seen it you wish you'd never lived.  Few things are more dispiriting than to see the rising Sun despair.  I'm glad I live on the South Coast.

34 minutes ago, meganiwish said:

Preferably a quarter pounder with cheese.

So now I see why you are so anti-shorts.

The side-tied bikini picture is for you. That's how us west coaster roll.  It's all about the sunsets.  Whose up to see a sun rise? Only worn-eating birds. LOL

23 hours ago, nyenor said:

Not from 'Mucky Maccas' I hope.

That's Paul McCartney's chain isn't it?  Started off selling chicken Wings, then Linda went all veggie and Paul kept flogging meat on the sly.  The Mary's Little Lamb Burgers didn't sell so well, but Beatle Cochineal is a food colouring you can trust.

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I thought Maccas was slang for that Irish restaurant

Mucky Maccas is (Eastern)  Assie for that Irish Restaurant with the fallen arches. 

You can't wear bikinis (into your 60's) if you eat there.

Edited by Cali