Pole Dancing

mlroseplant

I recently joined Instagram, and by complete chance, I happened to become interested in watching videos of pole dancers (the super athletic competition kind, not the strip club kind). It seems if you click on one type of video, Instagram pushes more of the same at you, so of course, I clicked on more. 

Most of the women who are into serious pole dancing dance barefoot nowadays, which is just fine by me, but many of the athletes also do routines in heels sometimes. What I have noticed is that every single one of them wears shoes with high platforms, at least 2 inches, and sometimes up to 4 inches! Out of idle curiosity, I am wondering why. I can see where high heels would add just that little bit extra to some of these impossibly difficult (to me) routines,  but why the huge platforms? Doesn't anybody dance in sort of normal, streetgoing shoes? Doesn't this just perpetuate the stereotype of pole dancing being for strip clubs? These women show amazing strength, grace, and hard work, no different than gymnastics.

I am wondering if anybody has some insight into this "uniform."