Do you buy shoes even if you do not need them?

gibby

I have come to the conclusion that I am addicted to shoes.   Even when I am low on money and show up to my local DSW or any shoe store and see a pretty pair of sandals or heels and slip them on my feet and how nice they look or feel.   That I need them, even tho I  might have a similar pair   and after I spend this money I should have used it for ( ex-gas for the car or clothes)     I have not wore my heels or sandals for about a month not even just walking around the house.   they sit in their shoe boxes in the closet and even months ago I started wearing 2 and three inch heels(Gasp!) instead of the 4 inch heels./   I like  having a shoe collection  (about 100 pairs   Franco Sarto,  Nine west,   Mix no./ 6 and BcbGeneration)   I have a wider foot size 10 so certain styles are to narrow not to say I have not tried to cram my feet into those styles and have bought a pair or two or three even tho they are too tight.      But I can still prance around the house in them and wish they were available in wide   and I hate buying a size too big  too much toe box and have yet to have a pair where my toes actually go to the end.        I love this site   All whom love heels and all the articles.   Great reading.       But now for a few years I just buy and wear  once or twice and retire them to their shoe box and stumble on them  months later       I miss the excitement of the look or knowing that is a leather  sandal or heel I am taking out of the shoe box          I need to appreciate more what is in those shoe boxes in the closet.  Than what heels could be in the closet.     This is finally my time on the site.   Long over due:fine:      Thank You.

• Like 1

This is a serious issue for me. I love shoes and shoe shopping. I could easily have several hundred pairs. But I only have two feet and a limited space in my walk in closet. So I have two rules:

(1) they have to fit, I put them on in the morning, take them off at night, they need to go the distance.

(2) I have to be able to wear them to work. I limit my "play" shoes to only 3 pairs.

For me heels are just my way of life now.  

• Like 1

Cali,  That was quick reply.          And those rules are very sound.      I do need to set those kind of limits     Never thought I would have more than one pair!

• Like 1

You're post sounds familiar in a way. In a basic sense I would never need any heels because flat shoes would be more practical. But I just love them because they are so awesome and beautiful. Most of my heels I don't wear that much either but I do rediscover them every now and then and that renews the excitement for a pair. And when you have a lot you can rotate and don't wear them much because there aren't enough days in the year. I buy heels if I see something I like and want to spend the money on them. My only criterium is that I have to be able to wear them.

Do I have a heels addiction? I think so, but not in a unhealthy way. For me they are art too. I have some on display in my livingroom as well. And for what some people spend on a painting, I can but a lot of heels.

• Like 5

Do you buy shoes even if you do not need them?

Of course I do.  My favorite haunts are thrift shops so the expense of buying shoes/boots isn't that great.  Most of the time the only criteria is that they fit (at least reasonably well). Since I wear a 12/13 that tends to limit what is available.  However, recently I passed on a couple pair of boots because I wouldn't want to be seen wearing them.  Another limiting criteria is I'm running out of space.:penitent:

19 minutes ago, Cl0setheels said:

Do I have a heels addiction?

Yeah, me too.

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well, I am definitely addicted to boots, which is fine with me...

I definitely buy boots that I don't necessarily need, especially if I like the style and they fit OK.

I usually limit myself to thrift store finds, or moderately priced used boots on ebay poshmark etsy....

Would love to have a pair of the expensive boots often seen here, fortunately I am able to show a little restraint....My beer budget sure can not afford my champagne taste in boots...

But of course...high heels are an addiction. I am a collector by nature but not a hoarder. Finding that next intriguing pair of heels is always a thrill. I try to rotate wearing my heels but I do have some favorites. And I know many people prefer quality over quantity but "each to there own". I do not wear my heels for 6 or 7 hours at a time daily so the stress on my heels is not excessive. So if see a pair of heels that I like and that are in my allowable budget....I get them. No guilt, no buyers regret, just the pleasure of enjoying new heels and admiring them when you are not wearing them. I agree with Closetheels...they are almost an artform to be appreciated. On or off your feet.

• Like 1

I agree with most of what's been posted here. I'm not addicted, but I AM passionate about heels. I prefer to buy what I feel comfortable wearing in public, and that is not stilettos. I prefer more substantial heels in the 3-4" range (single sole up to 3/4 inch platform). I stay away from pumps, as I have trouble keeping them on my feet. And I stay away from oxfords and tie shoes because (1) I had to wear tie shoes as a kid and hated them and (2) I'm too lazy to tie them. I have a few pair of boots, but mostly I like wearing sandals and clogs/mules. I never buy shoes because I need them! LOL

Steve

My loving wife always says so what heels did you buy this time.   She will say dont you have that pair already and I say yes but a different color(if they are comfortable and fit I try to get all available colors)   My sister in-law has my back and does say she does the same thing because different outfits can go with different colors of the same heels or sandals even wedges.    I do appreciate the feedback on my post.   It really made my day!    And to JKrenzer   You are right nobody needs heels.   But I am glad they are there if I need them:thumbsup:

Of course I buy shoes even if I do not need them! I haven't made a recent exact count, but I'm going to guess that a fellow doesn't need 50+ pairs of shoes! I wear almost all of them, too. The few exceptions are too high for me at this time. Workin' on it.

13 hours ago, gibby said:

Cali,  That was quick reply.          And those rules are very sound.      I do need to set those kind of limits     Never thought I would have more than one pair!

My Two Rules have stories.

(1) they have to fit.

Several years ago I was in the clearance racks at DSW looking for my first 4 inch heel. A woman shopping the same racks saw me try on a pair of 4 inch booties and walk around in them. She came over and told me "Life's too short for shoes that don't fit." She then went on to say that only buy shoes that fit on the first day. The only thing is sometimes you just got to have that pair, but then there are shoe stretcher for those pairs.

(2) I have to be able to wear them to work. I limit my "play" shoes to only 3 pairs.

This is my way of keeping my shoes under control. I know I have more shoes that 80% of the women out there. I know I have 5 times more pairs than my ex-wife ever had (much taller and better looking too). My shoes are not a collection as much as they're my wardrobe. I need to try to limit myself to 3 new pairs a year, otherwise I will never get a chance to wear them enough.  Only 3 play shoes, shoes that I am not comfortable wearing in public. If I can't wear them to work I'll almost never wear them. But I still would like to have a pair - like those stiletto knee high suede boots with tassels some just posted. And since being on here I also thinking about some stiletto pumps like so many others have here.

On 5/9/2017 at 4:52 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Nobody needs heels.

I need a 4 inch heel for pain relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

need wedges because they're cute!

need booties because they're really cute!

need boots because I like them!

need stilettos because they are fun!

Edit:  I have needs too! :)

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

I have way more pair than I will ever wear out . When my wife says it's time to stop hoarding heels ( one stack of heels away from an episode of hoarders ) that's time to farm my heels out as Thighbootguy can tell you . Then it starts over again . This way I can purchase better fitting heels as my shoe size may change by weight loss or gain . As a general rule I have been cut to less than 150 pair at any given time . There are my go-to heels for anytime and I do buy several pair sometimes of the same style just because they are available .  The funny thing is there is only one pair of boots in my whole collection the rest are mostly platform wedges and a few stilettos . I have been told by many women my mother included , when you buy heels they are only good for about a year then they go out of style . So, never put to much money into a pair cause you may only wear them a few times . Pretty sure it's safe to say I have a thing for heels .     

3 hours ago, maninpumps said:

I have been told by many women my mother included , when you buy heels they are only good for about a year then they go out of style . So, never put to much money into a pair cause you may only wear them a few times .  

That's true, but only if you buy super trendy shoes. Certainly a classic pump or knee high boot will never go out of style. I can't think of any of my shoes that I anticipate not wearing over the next several years. Some I have just gotten tired of, or they've just worn out beyond repair, but nothing in my collection screams "last year!" Or "next year," for that matter!

• Like 1

I believe there is some measure of compulsion as we are, after all, largely men buying something originally designed for use by women. We do it for the more interesting styles, fabrics, colors, and most of all it does something really nice for our sense of well-being. Some of us may want to see a tangible effect of wanting to express at least femininity or just a need to break out of the mold we men are in.

18 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Some of us may want to see a tangible effect of wanting to express at least femininity or just a need to break out of the mold we men are in.

The breaking sounds similar to the glass ceiling breaking. :penitent:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

On 5/10/2017 at 8:30 PM, HappyinHeels said:

Some of us may want to see a tangible effect of wanting to express at least femininity or just a need to break out of the mold we men are in.

I couldn't agree with that statement more. Wearing women's clothing from head to toe puts me in touch with my feminine side, and I love that feeling immensely.

As for buying shoes I don't need, I like to think that's not a problem for me since I wear a 13 wide, so there's not much in the way of variety, or options in terms of where to shop. At present, I have 28 pairs of shoes and 6 pairs of boots and that's plenty for me, at present anyway. If I were two sizes shorter and one size narrower, sure, I'd be buying shoes like mad, so I guess my physiology has proven to have been beneficial to my wallet. Heh!

• Like 2

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Stoney and JeffB count your financial blessings. I have size 10 feet and its just too easy to buy and buy and buy. I only have two pairs of men's shoes left, used for digging in muddy conditions, and I'm out of room for heels. I have three 2 ft by 6 ft bookcases with 8 - 10 shelves each with 2 - 3 pairs per shelf.

It's forced me to learn to go shoe shopping and try on shoe just for the fun of it. To be extremely selective when I purchase, set boundaries or have boundaries set for you - like space to store them :). I use to not be able to understand why some women liked to go shoe shopping so often. Now I understand it and enjoy this activity as well. Styles come and go so fast, some shoes sell out fast and you have to jump on them.

• Like 3

Well oh yea I have a problem but it's my vice  I have just a few pairs 

Pair 397 Wild Diva work boots now that spring has sprung I think I have found the boots to do the yard work ? Another @poshmark find #guysinheels #guyinheels #meninheels #maninheels #hisheels #myheels #myheelsarehigherthanyourstandards

IMG_3875.PNG

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ynotme said:

Well oh yea I have a problem but it's my vice  I have just a few pairs 

Pair 397 Wild Diva work boots now that spring has sprung I think I have found the boots to do the yard work ?

I think Cali and others have mentioned boots/shoes for yard work.  These are my "Grass Cutting Boots". 

GEDC1847.jpg.aaa8bb4cf5110dce42e7451100a29e49.jpg

They are an old pair I got from Payless years ago and I have: narrowed the shafts, added leather around the toe, reattached the soles, reattached the heels, added insoles, replaced the shanks.  One of these days I'll give up on them but it is kind of a challenge to keep then going.  I do not wear these boots anywhere I am likely to be seen (my standards are a little higher than that), but they are great for pushing a lawn mower and offer protection from stuff flying out from under the mower.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cali said:

TBG I have too many gophers for heels that narrow.

Students or the burrowing rodent kind? :penitent:  The burrows of either could cause a nasty turn of the ankle, but these boots only have a 3" block heel and the sole has widened (this is a really beat up pair of boots) so they are reasonably stable on uneven and soft surfaces.

4 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

They are an old pair I got from Payless years ago and I have: narrowed the shafts, added leather around the toe, reattached the soles, reattached the heels, added insoles, replaced the shanks.

Reminds me of the story about the guy telling his friends about his heirloom hatchet: it originally belonged to Davy Crockett and was used to blaze the Cumberland Trail. Over the years the handle has been replaced several times, and the head has been replaced several times, but other than that it's original! :giggle:

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Pair 397!  Sounds like a milepost on some interstate highway in a larger state. Now imagine a different pair of your heels pictured on each milepost. When one travels in countries the size of the U.S. and Canada one has to use the imagination to keep alert and span the distance. Oh, and it helps if you're driving in heels something I am fond of.  Well done on your nearly 400-pair collection.  HappyinHeels