Are You Stuck in High Heels?

Shyheels

Here's a thought: instead of posting by proxy in the Girls Forum, why not launch threads on similar topics here where everybody can comment?

I thought I would give the idea a gentle nudge and pose the question - are you stuck in high heels? By this I mean, do you wear, or have you worn, high heels to the extent that your achilles tendons have become shortened over time and walking in flats is painful or even impossible?  

The floor is open to discussion....

If you see a subject in another section or an old one in this section that you would like to submit, it wouldn't hurt to make a reference as to where the idea came from. This way a comment could be made after they have seen what has been posted. Former post, some of which are now closed, have tremendous values of interesting and factual information to impart to those who are willing to take the time and wade through them.

As far as being stuck in high heels, the thought has crossed everyone's mind with the unsatisfied desire to wear high heels openly. Then the reality hits and they realize how curtailing such predicaments would do to ones quality of life. Yes, I want to wear high heels 24/7, but the idea of going to the gym, working on a hard labor job, running in a marathon, swimming in heels, or etc. may be in ones dreams, but the actual performance will most likely end in disappointment and possible injury(ies) with damaged footwear. Even dancing in heels is an acceptable activity, but special consideration has to be made for the programmed performance and the footwear to be selected.

I felt that this topic was better situated in the women's forum area because very few males will seriously consider this problem. But for me its a very serious concern.  I have damaged both calves, major tear in one and a minor tear in the other, and have damaged one of my Achilles tendons.  I started to wear high heels as a result of my calf's injury and discovered a life changing unexpected benefit from wearing heels.  The benefit is so dramatic that I wear 4 inch heels openly most of the time now, up to 18 hours some days. And I play sports so I need to maintain my calves.

I take this issue very seriously, if you ever tore your calf you will know this is extremely painful and you never want to do it again. A 15 month rehab is no fun either. So I do stretches as often as I can to help keep my calves healthy. 

Wearing heels in your situation would be far more elegant, more sensible and far less expensive than the clumpy therapeutic devices the physios would come up with - and there would be a legitimate concern that would foreshortened muscles and tendons would become dependent on heels. 

As a side note, I noticed the other day, in some newspaper that appeared in the wake of our parliament over here deciding not to legislate  against dress codes requiring heels for women, that guidelines published by the NHS (our national health service) advised against wearing flats and said that the best thing was to wear low to moderate heels - which does then beg the question of why a dress code requiring two-inch heels became such a big issue in the first place.

My physios had me walk in my high heels to make sure I was walking correctly in them, that my gait was correct. They noted that I limp when I am flat and the limp goes away at 2 inch, and at 4 inches and higher my gait was the best.

But being far less expensive than clumpy therapeutic devices is a fallacy.  I have designer taste and over 40 heels, some as much as $300.

Good point - clumpy therapeutic devices are not generally designed by fashion houses, so I suppose one could spend whatever one wanted to spend.  On the other hand, if the therapeutic Ines cost much, an inexpensive pair of heels would be a very useful alternative. 

You must have had quite a severe calf tear to require that much elevation on your heel...

As you say though, not many men would be likely to wear heels as long and as exclusively as you.

Edited by Shyheels

• 1 month later...

I've been touched by this problem.Two-fold.

Firstly many years back I wore heels all day every day. I cannot recall exactly what I did prior to the accident because I was never expecting it, but I was definitely wearing very tall heels 14-15 hrs per day. I was really enjoying going high and it was  leading up to Xmas. Two days before Xmas I got home and stepped out of my heels to get changed and as soon as my left foot took my weight in a flat footed position - bang - tore my Fatia. It was 2 years before I got my full high heel regime back.

I am back to wearing heels almost all the time again but I stretch a lot.

Secondly - I now feel a need & pressure to wear heels all the time. Heels are a big part of my image now. I get friendly teasing for wearing flats, and I I get teased for wearing mens style clothes - but all in a friendly way.

I've learnt that getting stuck in heels is a real physical thing - obviously the body adapts to new normals.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

What do you mean by this?

Guys are strictly not supposed to post in the For the Girls forum - and quite right too. One of the guys here really wanted to have a discussion about an issue (being stuck in heels) that was posted in the For the Girls forum and so, to keep within bounds, asked one of the female members to post on his behalf; my suggestion was that he post the same question - raise the same issue - in the For Everybody forum so the discussion could be held there and anyone who wanted to could pitch in and reply.  

Charlotte I'm the male that "posted by proxy" in the "For the Girls" forum.

Most  males  (and for that matter females) don't wear heels long enough to think about this issue.  I wear heels for at least 12 hours a day if not 18 hours, at least 4 times a week, sometimes all 7 days a week. I consider this a very serious problem. I've injured my hamstring, calf, and Achilles tendon, not all on the same leg or at the same time; it took 18 months for the "rope" in my calf to go away. These are all a connected system that are associated with wearing high heels. 

59 minutes ago, Cali said:

Charlotte I'm the male that "posted by proxy" in the "For the Girls" forum.

Most  males  (and for that matter females) don't wear heels long enough to think about this issue.  I wear heels for at least 12 hours a day if not 18 hours, at least 4 times a week, sometimes all 7 days a week. I consider this a very serious problem. I've injured my hamstring, calf, and Achilles tendon, not all on the same leg or at the same time; it took 18 months for the "rope" in my calf to go away. These are all a connected system that are associated with wearing high heels. 

But as I understood you in the past, or thought I did,  your problems with your feet, ankles, Achilles were not caused by heels; that wearing heels actually helped you through those injuries. Your concern was that by wearing them so much you could become 'stuck' in heels? Correct?

Edited by Shyheels