Nail polish preferences?

Logjam

i prefer OPI.  I don't get chipping or rub-off between pedis.  But OPI don't have as many sparkles, so I use China Glaze for sparkles.

For my fingers I use OPI gelish polishes.

No real brand preferences. They're all good or they wouldn't stay in business. I've had good success with Sally Hansen, Revlon, OPI, Jessica, and others. The key is good surface preparation with no oil or water left on it, a good clear base coat, and a good clear top coat. With non-gel nail polish I usually get 5-7 days on my fingernails before it starts chipping and looking too ratty to wear. YMMV depending on what you do with your hands. On toenails, I usually get a month.

Steve

IMG_1009.JPG

St Patrick Day 3-17-17.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All,

This thread must have been overlooked. OPI, Sinful Colors, and Revlon are reliable brands. One in particular I have liked is KleanColor which is not available via retail but through the nail care industry. A lady in CHicago who does nails gave me bottle and my wife later saw some KleanColor bottles at a flea market in Fontana, CA a  couple of years ago. When I asked the vendor where they came from she said it was her shop's excess supply. SO there you have my 25 cents worth.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

My wife painted my toe nails years ago with OPI purple and I am hooked on  this brand since.    It does take a base coat and 2 color coats and a top coat for the nails to to look great. Also noticed OPI goes on better when temperature is about 74 degrees.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Since you like Las Vegas so much @SF, you should look at the brand headquartered in Las Vegas. ILNP  (I Love Nail Polish). I love their holographic nail colors.  Both my daughter and Ex-wife started to use them once they saw mine.  The nursing assistant who was measuring my height last week comment that she really liked my color.

• 6 months later...

I'm working with a young man who wears aqua colored nail polish on this trip.  We both stand at the entry door/galley while the passengers are boarding.  I would say that at least 25 percent of the passengers comment (very positive comments) on his polished nails, and about half of those comments come from men!  I have to admit he looks great with polished nails, but he is a younger guy, very tall, blonde and handsome.   Not ashamed to admit I am envious, but don't think this old guy could pull it off unfortunately.  

I had polished gel fingernails for 3 years.  Loved them, but I got a nail fungus and had to get rid of the fungus before getting them done again. Then the pandemic hit my nail artist moved back home.  I still have a few acrylic fingernails to keep damage the nails together but haven't had them colored lately.  And I would get positive comets from all sexes, even come envy from men.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

The wife and I have had two pedicures in that past two months at the Spa at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.  At the Caesars Spa nail salon they use OPI polish exclusively.  I find that the OPI polish is durable, lasts a long time and has a beautiful luster to it.  

Plus the nail techs there do a wonderful job which also accounts for a good looking and long lasting pedicure.  If you are going to wear sandals, your feet should look nice.  smile...   sf

IMG_3643.jpg

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

11 hours ago, Cali said:

I had polished gel fingernails for 3 years.  Loved them, but I got a nail fungus and had to get rid of the fungus before getting them done again. Then the pandemic hit my nail artist moved back home.  I still have a few acrylic fingernails to keep damage the nails together but haven't had them colored lately.  And I would get positive comets from all sexes, even come envy from men.

I think you are correct indeed.  My coworker got so many compliments, many from men.  I think the men did envy my coworker's confidence, and wished they had the same.  I am not afraid to admit I am envious as well.  

I always get compliments on my mani's and pedi's from both women and men. I wear clear gel over a light pink base on my hands with always some color and or art deco on my little pinkies. As far as my toes go it's always a bright red color except for October when it's bright pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I started this conversation some time ago but I’ve not been to hhplace for a while. I see that this has sort of “morphed” into a discussion of men wearing nail polish, that’s fine by me. I now wear color on my toes almost 100% of the time, and openly in warmer months. I gel gel clear on my hands 100% of the time. Pro mani/pedi nominally once per month. I’ve noted on another thread, I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by the number of compliments and enthusiastic comments from women! And a few from men as well.

• Like 2

I get compliments from both women and men on my mani's and pedi's. Red color on my toes except in October when I get hot pink or fuchsia  for Breast Cancer Awareness month. On my hands I get a light pink base coat, gel with a clear coat of gel on top. My little pinkies usually get some art deco. But sometimes I just get a another color on my pinkies.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• 5 weeks later...

Someone here turned me on to ILNP (I Love Nail Polish out of Las Vegas).  I like their holographic blues. Years ago, my Ex-wife and daughter loved the colors on my toes and borrowed my nail polish.  They have bought a lot of nail polish from ILNP since then. Yesterday she showed me her latest color from them, a champagne holographic glitter and I showed her my Ukrainian Tip nails.

Red is rarely found on my nails, most only used as part of some art work or under a metallic rub to get Rose Gold.

• Like 1

I regularly visit several “malepolish” forums, and ILNP polishes are being noted more and more. I really like the looks of some of them, and wouldn’t mind trying some, but at my age, I fear that I already literally have a lifetime supply (and more!) of polishes and colors.

• 1 year later...

OPI all the way.  I like the awesome range of colors, plus the fact that you don't have to touch them up near as much as other brands.  They have this magnificent shade of deep red that I just adore.  Not only that, the supply place I go to from time to time puts some colors on sale, so I get to really fill up the polish box!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 4 weeks later...

Good topic! Like logjam I wear toenail polish nearly all year with just two no polish periods of about a week so they can rest and I can check for any fungus which I started to treat 2 years ago. A few times a year I will do my fingernails for a day trip somewhere or a special event like a wedding where I’ll likely dress completely en femme. As for brands you can’t go wrong with OPI and I have found Kleancolor also to be quite good. It’s seen more in the salon industry than a regular retail brand. HinH

• Like 1