Passionate about Platform

Cali

Yes, a few months ago, we had this same discussion about how much taller one actually stands when wearing high heels, and I took a few measurements, using a framing square against the wall to measure my height in various heels that I own. 

What I discovered was, in my highest heels, 5 5/8" (14+ cm) with 1 3/8" (3.5 cm) platform, I gained only 3 3/4" (9.5 cm) in height. Really, there wasn't that much difference with lower heels. Higher than 3 1/2" (9 cm), you just don't gain much in actual height, compared to the heel height. 

• Like 2

Hey mlroseplant,

I have to ask for clarification, did you include the platform thickness of 1 3/8" in the total of your gained height of 3 3/4"? If so, the actual gain from the platform surface level is 2 3/8". This means the relative height of the heel is 4 1/4".

I kind of wish the sloping angle of the sole was noted in the sizing info, instead of the height of the heel. This way the heel height would be dependent on the design of the slope and therefore have the same relative look, no matter what the size is. When I see a display of a 4" heel that is a size 6 and I like the total look: I don't want to get the featured shoe with a 4" heel in a size 12. To me this is not the same style of heels that was sold to me in the ad display, for the heel height should have reached at least 5 to 5.5" in the size 12 .

All,

Going back over this thread I see definite "divisions" over platforms and some attempt to smooth over those divisions. Those who love them will try wearing them to as many places as possible. Those who don't will not. I do think, though, there are occasions when some of us just want to wear the highest and loudest heel we can because the event (Halloween, a private club party, perhaps New Year's Eve or going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show) sort of screams for something wild. I like wedge sandals for daily wear April-October, pumps for more dress-up occasions or perhaps for shopping in higher-end stores, and boots in the colder months. I would definitely wear a platform sandal to one of the special events in parentheses. The event sets the tone and the shoe should match that tone and exactly the mood the wearer (YOU) wants to project. A tall platform shoe (6+"/15+cm) would seem right for a club setting, a wedge sandal normal while strolling the urban streets in the summer shopping season, or a sharp pump while sitting on a bench enjoying a smoke. A shoe style for each mood and event. That's why there's an endless array of styles because there's a seemingly endless array of us! HappyinHeels

• Like 4

On 6/18/2017 at 1:42 AM, Histiletto said:

Hey mlroseplant,

I have to ask for clarification, did you include the platform thickness of 1 3/8" in the total of your gained height of 3 3/4"? If so, the actual gain from the platform surface level is 2 3/8". This means the relative height of the heel is 4 1/4".

I kind of wish the sloping angle of the sole was noted in the sizing info, instead of the height of the heel. This way the heel height would be dependent on the design of the slope and therefore have the same relative look, no matter what the size is. When I see a display of a 4" heel that is a size 6 and I like the total look: I don't want to get the featured shoe with a 4" heel in a size 12. To me this is not the same style of heels that was sold to me in the ad display, for the heel height should have reached at least 5 to 5.5" in the size 12 .

Yes, I included the platform thickness, as I was wanting to see how much taller I really was with these giant heels! So yes, you're right, I'm only gaining about 2 3/8" from the actual steepness of the shoe (remember, I'm a USW size 9). So I get 1 3/8" for free, and I have to work for the rest. :cheeky:

My general feeling is that in my size with single soled shoes 4 inches and higher, I gain approximately 3 inches in height, regardless of how steep the shoe is. I say 3 inches because the "platform" on single soled shoes is never quite zero. There is always the thickness of the actual sole and whatever liner there may be, and that might well give you an extra half inch.