Passionate about Platform

Cali

I been reading some of the topics and it seems that many of you don't like platforms.  I love platforms just as long as the heel height is at least 3.5 inches higher (prefer 4+). So I have heels with 1/2 to 2 inch platforms 

I think the heels with paper thin soles are just too painful for my feet.  What are your feelings about this.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

I have both single soles and platforms.  I will agree that in some of  single soles, not all of my single soles, I can feel the pavement and pebbles on the sidewalks,  but most are no problem.   I have a few 6 and one 6-1/4 single sole that believe it or not are comfortable and I can walk in them for hours.  The platforms get me a few 5's a lot of 6's and even a handful of 7's!   The 7's really turn heads!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cali said:

I been reading some of the topics and it seems that many of you don't like platforms.  I love platforms just as long as the heel height is at least 3.5 inches higher (prefer 4+). So I have heels with 1/2 to 2 inch platforms 

I think the heels with paper thin soles are just to painful for my feet.  What are your feels about this.

Well, the only thing I have learned is that there is not hard and fast rules about what styles/heights will cause foot pain....There is so much variance in design, fit, and heel height, you just never know....Until you give them a good work out...

Cali , you are spot on in my opinion . You are correct some in here that are very much against platform styles . That is their opinion/preference . When the end of the day arrives we all love high heels . For me I need the extra stability platforms offer . Speaking for myself thin soled pumps look more "graceful" on someone with a skinny build . Being on the "fluffy" side I feel better in heels like the ones in my avatar . 

• Like 1

Back in the day, I used to hate platforms. But back in the day, platforms brought to mind John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever," or clear stripper shoes (which some call "pageant shoes"). Today, almost all my shoes have some sort of platform. The key to me is balance. There must be enough heel to balance out a platform. To me, a 6 inch heel is just simply not tall enough to balance out a huge 2 inch platform, which is the basic formula of pageant shoes. It's like you've got these giant THINGS attached to your feet, and it just doesn't look nice to me. Go down an inch on both ends to a 5 inch heel and a 1 inch platform, and suddenly it's a whole different look, much less clunky, much more streamlined, even though the steepness hasn't changed. Go down another inch on both ends, and you've got a classic pump that's on the higher side these days for most women, but on the low side for my sensibilities. I prefer the extra height of the 5 inch heel, but appreciate the all day wearability of the 4 inch difference. Therefore, many of my shoes are right around that 5 inch heel, 1 inch platform formula.

Here are examples of how Christian Louboutin got it right, and how he got it wrong. The first picture is "Lady Peep" model, which I think is super nice looking. The second picture is "Daffodil" model, which I think looks absolutely awful. It's HUGE, and not in a good way. Too much platform, not enough heel. I think he makes a version with a higher heel than the one shown here, which look slightly better, but they still don't look as nice as the Lady Peeps.

Naturally, some strongly disagree, and actually like super huge platforms, but you'll have that on these big jobs.  .  .

IMG_7655.PNG

IMG_7656.PNG

• Like 2

I wore the BCBGeneration platforms today for Easter along with Levi's 527 jeans and a hawaiian shirt. 

Renegade Platform Boots

In my size the heel measures right at 5".  Levi's 527's are great for this style of footwear as they flare at the bottom but fit tight above the knee.  They are hard to find but Macy's and Kohl's carry them even in longer inseams.  I normally wear 3 to 4 inch block/western heels but do have a few taller platforms that are occasionally worn. 

• Like 1

The levi's 527s are great jeans to go with boots.  They go over my calf high boots and at the same time they are easy to pull up to show my shoes when asked.

@Cali

I'm a total fan of the platform. Most of my heels have platforms and I just love how they look. In my opinion there is no universal recipe for shoes and how they will look good. It will remain a personal preference. I love both Louboutin heels that @mlroseplant posted. I would love to own both. Totally in love with the Daffodil. Lots of love in this post, lol. I'm just very passionate about heels. ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Here are examples of how Christian Louboutin got it right, and how he got it wrong. The first picture is "Lady Peep" model, which I think is super nice looking. The second picture is "Daffodil" model, which I think looks absolutely awful. It's HUGE, and not in a good way. Too much platform, not enough heel. I think he makes a version with a higher heel than the one shown here, which look slightly better, but they still don't look as nice as the Lady Peeps.

ha ha!  you're funny stuff!

some of us have beautiful sexy legs and a 6 inch heel and 2 inch platform look perfect:  made to order. 

while anything less looks like...  what was it called?  a fool's errand?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cl0setheels said:

@Cali

I'm a total fan of the platform. Most of my heels have platforms and I just love how they look. In my opinion there is no universal recipe for shoes and how they will look good. It will remain a personal preference. I love both Louboutin heels that @mlroseplant posted. I would love to own both. Totally in love with the Daffodil. Lots of love in this post, lol. I'm just very passionate about heels. ;) 

Love the Lady Daf's my all time fav!!!  My GF said she will bury me in them (if I buy them!!!). 

Seven for All Mankind Kaylie are awesome skinny flared or boot cut up to 35" inseams 

most all my jeans are 7's.  Legging  jeggings, skinny, super skinny, boot cut, skinny boot cut. For me they are the best fitting jeans.  They fit like a glove 

I don't have a preference. Some of my heels are platforms and others are not. To me it's the total look. When I do go for a platform, it's not high - 1 inch max. And heels for me are never stiletto. I'm too unstable in them. I prefer heels that are at least 3/4 of an inch square at the bottom for stability when standing. Attached are two examples. The black Aerosoles "Major Role" pump is single sole and the brown pair of White Mountain "Siesta" sandals has almost a 1 inch platform.

Steve

Aerosoles Major Role black 1.jpg

White Mountain Siesta.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I have positioned myself in a situation where the platform lovers hate me AND the single sole people hate me. I hope it's not true, we all have our own preferences, and I have stated mine plainly, I guess. It's all good. We are all brothers here, and I hope I have not offended anyone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I guess I have positioned myself in a situation where the platform lovers hate me AND the single sole people hate me. I hope it's not true, we all have our own preferences, and I have stated mine plainly, I guess. It's all good. We are all brothers here, and I hope I have not offended anyone. 

Not a chance!!! All good. We all have our own style, I know mine is over the top for some and have let me know but I know we are all in this together or we would not be here!!! 

• Like 1

I used to hate the look of platforms too, but I've come to love them after walking in thin soled heels made my toes go numb.  Even the cisgendered heel tip pages say platforms are easier to walk in. 

And I think hidden platforms are to die for.  They're so youth culture.

Personally, I think platforms higher than 1 inch look a bit drag queen-ish, but if that's one's fetish, or if you're short and/or have short legs, then of course you should go for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiheellover23 said:

Well I'm a huge platform fan.  Platforms say show attitude, even  more they scream "Look at me". Because they are attention getters and they make my legs look really good.  To those who love single soles more props to you but us platform lovers gotta stick together lol!!!

I love the extra-long bell bottoms in your photo. They go really well with the big platforms for a 70s high fashion look.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alphax said:

Personally, I think platforms higher than 1 inch look a bit drag queen-ish, but if that's one's fetish, or if you're short and/or have short legs, then of course you should go for it.

I don't think its the platform thickness along that makes a shoe look drag queen-ish.  Below are my Speedlimit 98 wedges, 2 inch wedge and 7 inch heels, but I don't think drag queen-ish. Very comfortable heels.

wedge_c.JPG

• Like 3

@Cali  That is true and I stand corrected.  I was thinking of obviously fetish shoes with 2 inch or greater platforms, because fetish shoes and boots are all I think about, shoe-wise.  :cheeky:

• Like 1

For me....they have to be platforms. I have some with 1/2" platforms up to 2.5". All range from 4" to 7.5" heels. I am not into a walking on my tip toes to wear 5.5" single sole heel. But I do love the look of a tall stilletto. My platforms allow me to have both. And as you see by my profile pictures my collection has a variety of platform styles. We are all here for the same reason...our love of heels. And variety is the"spice of life". Enjoying your heels is all that matters.

20170120_150135~2.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alphax said:

@Cali  That is true and I stand corrected.  I was thinking of obviously fetish shoes with 2 inch or greater platforms, because fetish shoes and boots are all I think about, shoe-wise.  :cheeky:

For me its less about a fetish more as a way of life. I need the 3 to 4 inch rise, so I wear heels.  And since I wear heels I might as well enjoy what I wear.  

It is all what appeals to you personally.  I'm not much of a platform fan, but I will say it depends on the style of the shoes.  That said, anything over 1/2" to maybe max 1", I find unappealing.  I recall as a kid seeing a few women that likely had a leg shorter than the other, so one shoe would have a big, thick sole to make up for the short leg.  So I relate platforms with corrective shoes.  All that said, I have bought a couple of pairs with platform soles.  I have trouble walking in them, as because the sole doesn't bend, the slip off at the heel.  Again, it just depends on what you like - and you should wear what you like!

19 minutes ago, RonC said:

I have trouble walking in them, as because the sole doesn't bend, the slip off at the heel. 

That's why they invented straps.......

One of the lessons that I learned early on about wearing heels out and about in public places is that the surface you are walking on can change from one step to the next.  I quickly developed, while walking in heels, the knack of feeling (sensing) the condition of the surface I am putting my foot onto before I complete my step so I know that I will be stepping on a solid base and not on a stone or unstable place.  This is something that I can do while wearing single sole pumps more easily than I can while wearing shoes with thick platforms.  The only serious accident I've ever experienced while wearing heels was when I stepped on a stone, rolled my ankle and fell down while wearing a pair of sandals with six inch heels and 2 1/2 inch platforms.  I wasn't able to feel the presences of the stone under my foot through the thick platform before I took my tumble.  

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136 , the issue with the stone is exactly the reason why I try to stay on side walks where stones are more visible . Plats are not so forgiving in that aspect . This is one reason platform wedges seem to work well for me not to mention they are good for transitioning to grass / lawn areas . For some reason when the stiletto phase was in my lifestyle it seemed like every pair was getting a new heel caps or being trashed for heel scrapes . The platform also allowed me to have the higher heel without having the calf pain from transitioning from plats to flats .   

Since I live in high heels now, so I pay attention to where I put my foot down. This is an absolute must when in stilettos. Sometimes I need to walk on uneven surfaces.  With single sole shoes I fell small imperfections in the surface, so I like my platforms.

• Like 1

I enjoy wearing high spike/stiletto pumps when the heel height and sloping dominates their attraction - similar to how mlroseplant described. Wearing a platform that significantly diminishes the slope looses the pizazz I prefer. In fact, platforms should not be used until after the height of the heel is close to reaching a person's foot sloping limit. This limit varies per person, because of the size, construction, and acclimation potential of their feet and ankles.  Also, platforms that look like they were an added feature at the last minute or the heel height isn't high enough or over extends the vertical support for the wearer, takes away the completeness from the total quality look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly all my shoes (pumps, peeptoe pumps, wedges, ankle boots and knee boots) have sort of platform. My lowest heel is a  4" wedge from Target and the highest is a 8.5" platform sandal from Sunset Strip. The style and heel height worn reflect either my mood or where I will be going or both. Since I'm only 5'8.5" (174cm) I can wear a higher heel than most American men because I'm some 4" shorter than that average American man and that's the national average. I live in Wisconsin where the average man is 6' 1.8" tall. Think of that. If I put on 5.3" heels I am exactly the average height of a  man in my state. I would say something which connects to what Histiletto said above. I like the heel to slope ratio when it accentuates the look but especially when dressing completely for some function. HappyinHeels

• 1 month later...

Many people seem to understand the height of the heel will raise a person the same amount. Lets consider how the foot and ankle moves as the slope of the foot increases. First, note the barefoot position of the ankle and the heel of the foot when flat on the floor. Put a dot on the center of the ankle and another dot on the back of the heel and note their position level. Take a vertical measurement from the floor to the ankle dot. Now by balancing on the ball joints of the toes, raise the heel as high as it will go. Where are the two dots in relation to each other? Closer to the same level upon reaching a maximum lift. So at some point as the heel rose, the height of the ankle didn't raise as much. Now, take a vertical measurement from the floor to the ankle dot. The vertical distance the ankle rises is the maximum height that person can naturally raise their body, because of the rotation of the heel around the ankle. A person at the height of 5' 7", wearing a woman's US size 9 can expect a gain of around 2.5" in 4" heels. Any higher heels won't have as significant a height gain to warrant wearing them, except for impressing others with look and the bragging rights. Platforms only change the surface level, which is added to the vertical distance the ankle rose to know what their artificial height gain is. 

Another way of say this is: think of the ball joints of you foot is the center of a circle and the dot on your ankle the outside point of the radius. As the angle increases the corresponding height is the sine of the angle and that grows very slowing after about 60 degrees.