Helpful tips for wearing high heels everyday

Cali

I thought I would start this thread about some of the tricks to wearing high heels all day long.  I hope some of our female members will add to these.

Tip 1.  Above all, they must fit!  This is first thing I was told.  I was standing there in the clearance shelves at the DSW looking for 4 inch heels.  I had been told to raise my heels 4 inches, so there I was looking for 4 inch + heels.  A women next to me lean over and told me.  “if they don’t fit now, they’re never fit.  Life’s too short for heels that hurt.”  This is a fundamental concept that many people ignore.

Tip 2.  No slip gel pads.  I was talking to a friend that managed a shoe store.  She told me to get gel no-slip inserts and gave me two pair.  These are very important., don’t wear heels without them!  Almost every pair one of my high heels has a gel pad in them.  These pads help to keep your foot from slipping down and jamming your toes, thus causing pain.

Tip 3.  Invest in a decent pair of shoe stretchers.  I got two pairs of shoe-store quality shoe stretchers, one pair that fits normal shoes and one pair that fits high heels.

Tip 4.  Padding.  I posted this elsewhere but it’ a good tip, so I will repeat it.  Save the thin high-density foam pads you find in new shoe boxes.  Use scissors to shape toe pads to help keep the hard/sharp edges from cutting into the top of your foot.

• Like 2

Tip No. 1 and Tip No. 3 seem to be at odds with each other. I think as experienced heel wearers, we can tell the difference between shoes that are never going to work out, and shoes that might be quite nice with a little stretching and wear on them. From learning experience, I know that I have given up on some heels way too soon, and kept heels that were never going to work out way too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

Tip No. 1 and Tip No. 3 seem to be at odds with each other. I think as experienced heel wearers, we can tell the difference between shoes that are never going to work out, and shoes that might be quite nice with a little stretching and wear on them. From learning experience, I know that I have given up on some heels way too soon, and kept heels that were never going to work out way too long.

I can see where this is misleading at best.  There are some shoes you put on and you know right away there is no way you can even get your foot in.  way to narrow for the base of you foot.  Then there are others shoes you put on and they might seem tight but you know that they will stretch out.  It all has to do with the material they are made from.  Plastic will not stretch (unless you "cook" them a bit) but leather will. 

I have so many heels now that the shoes I purchase need to meet three basic conditions

(1) "Nice shoe", it has to be cute and something I don't already have.

(2)  FIT like a glove..Life's too short for heels that don't fit.  If I really really really have to have it I will see if I can work with it.

(3)  Can I wear it to work?  I only have 2 pairs of heels that I haven't worn to work yet (over 40 I have worn to work).

The concept of stretching high heels is new to me.  It seems that it would only work with natural leathers and non patent leathers.  Is that true?

What can you do with synthetic leather shoes and boots?

Do blow driers work on those?

Google " women's shoe stretcher" or "high heel shoe stretcher" and you will see many different wooden types, read through their info.  I have tried it only on my leather shoes and a "canvas" toe strap.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:24 PM, alphax said:

The concept of stretching high heels is new to me.  It seems that it would only work with natural leathers and non patent leathers.  Is that true?

What can you do with synthetic leather shoes and boots?

Do blow driers work on those?

It depends on how much you want to stretch it. Synthetic material will stretch a little bit if you're patient, but not much. It would be a situation like, "These shoes already fit pretty well, but they would be even better with just a tad more room."

Don't know about using a blow dryer.

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It depends on how much you want to stretch it. Synthetic material will stretch a little bit if you're patient, but not much. It would be a situation like, "These shoes already fit pretty well, but they would be even better with just a tad more room."

Don't know about using a blow dryer.

A blow dryer should work on a synthetic leather material (vinyl). I have used this method but vinyl will also contract when it cools. I used to have a sign shop and used vinyl lettering. It has similiar properties. When heated it will stretch but only to a point where it will rip or stretch that it ruins the surface or discolor. Be sure to use something in the shoe to retain its shape or size. When it cools it will shrink into or around the object it contours to and tightens up. So leave something in until the vinyl cools and it should be okay.

• Like 3

The shoe stretchers also come with these metal semi-spheres for those of you with bunions.

The blow dryer can heat the plastic and make it slightly more palatable. Be careful with the heated plastic, it could burn (cook) you foot.

Edited by Cali

• 1 month later...

For my two cents worth, here are some rules I have typed up based on my experience wearing heels.

I should note I wear high heels every day and would wear pumps 90% of that. I've been intensively wearing heels for over a decade. Almost every shoe I own is a stiletto heel.

following these guidelines would mean you could wear heels openly and comfortably, overall enjoyable experience:

1. Must fit perfectly. (Always buy high heels later in the day because feet do swell during the day! The higher the heel the snugger the fit must be. if they don't fit perfectly do not wear them - you will have get uncomfortable or have an accident. Leather high heels get looser the longer you wear them during the day, the higher they are the looser they get so you need a snug fit to begin. Stockings will mean your shoe fit is even more slippery later in the day eg after 8 hours, so again a snug fit to begin is essential for 4 inch + heels)

2. Heels to match your ability. (you'll know your real ability if you wear high heels out and about, if not I'm sorry but in my opinion you won't know your real ability. If you aren't wearing heels all the time then an approximate measure of a starting point is to wear a pair(if strappy, with straps undone) , then stand on tippy toes and arch your feet, thereby lifting your heel out of your shoe. If you can't do this by a definite inch higher then you definitely don't have enough flexibility to wear the shoe properly in common situations)

3. never take a short cut. (walk the safest route for underfoot surfaces as well as your safety), similarly don't take short cuts with your outfit (coordinate if you can, groom your legs, only ever wear hosiery that is lighter than your shoes. You must make extra effort to look good since you will be looked at ).

4. Slow down. (avoid running in high heels, especially not on marble or polished floors. The taller your heels the slower you'll be. slow down and enjoy your shoes. As per rule 3 its often practical to take a longer route if the floor is better, or there are no angled pavements, or no loose stones etc...Speed will not negate rule 5. If you fall over then you won't save any time and it will be embarrassing)

5. Expect to be noticed and do not avoid being seen in your high heels - especially if it means a risk of breaking rule No 3 or 4. (You have to be confident and proud.)

6. Maintain your heels (rotate your shoes - don't wear the same pair for more than a day at a time, replace your heel tips regularly, condition the leather, check your heels are firm, take them for repairs before they're too worn.

7. Never carry awkward objects. (Small weights on your sides is ok - eg bags on your elbows/forearms. Back packs are not practical. If you must carry a bulky or heavy object have someone help you. Get someone in flats to help. If you are both wearing high heels then carry such an object by taking a side each and walking forwards with it between you - except for doorways. When wearing heels don't carry anything in front or behind you, whether you're on your own or helping. Carrying stuff is the biggest nuisance/ limitation of heels.)

8. Be aware of your heels. (Be very very careful stepping over obstacles in high heels. Lift legs well clear, much higher than required for safety. Lift your heels over bar stool rails if you're like me and like to hook your heels! Never rock back on your heels, they do bend/break/weaken! Turn your feet slightly sideways when descending stairs so that as you extend your foot down to the next step you can keep your heel further forward and more distant from snagging the previous step! You can be heard walking so this can impact on personal safety in cities, especially in the evenings. Do keep an eye out for unsavoury characters.

9. Avoid Soiling/Damage. (often fabrics/ ornamentation and the leather/patent uppers are surprisingly fragile. usual stuff such as pavement grates, gaps in wooden decks all damage stiletto heels. Never walk on grass/gravel. Don't put your feet up on furniture/chairs/desks. If you must sit on the grass, or on the floor remove your shoes first and place them soles down beside you.Don't drive in high heels because I've found the heels do get scuffed. (hence rule 3 regarding presentation/ shortcuts and and rule 11)

10. Wipe your feet! (whenever its wet outside and you enter a building carefully wipe the soles of your shoes dry on the floor mat, this is all about the toe area sole.  The only grip in a stiletto is from that toe area and if its a smooth wet sole, or maybe in autumn has a slippery leaf stuck to it as then you're on a skating rink! When its dry no problem)

11. Flats are still ok (if high heels are no longer possible, or they will get damaged definitely take them off .Nothing is worse than seeing someone in heels who is awkward. If you need to carry heels, put your first finger in one shoes toe are, your second in the other and let them dangle. This way the heel tips will not scuff the other shoe! Note - if you carry stuff at your elbow then your fingers are free to carry your heels!)

12. Think ahead more. To wear a pair of heels all day is easy and pleasurable if you get it right. You won't always get it right because plans change and unexpected stuff happens! Think about what you have to do today, what you're wearing and pick a shoe that both coordinates and can do the activities. Sometimes you'll be limited by uniform rules for the day so that's a no brainer & no options day, I understand that - I have 4 of those days a week, as do most of us. Blah!

13. Loosing Control of your heels? this happens. Question during the day is why. 2 most common reasons. Tiredness in ankle/ankle shakes - this is because your heels are too high for you! . Take your heels off and next time drop down in heel height. The other is walking out of your heel If so then your shoe is too big. Go to the pharmacy/chemist or cobbler and get some heel inserts - go there immediately while in your heels! why not! Are you wearing stockings - take your stockings off and you will get more control of your heels. Get through the day but you will need to get shoes that fit you better.

hope this helps!

best wishes

Craig

• Like 6

18 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

4. Slow down. (avoid running in high heels, especially not on marble or polished floors. The taller your heels the slower you'll be. slow down and enjoy your shoes. As per rule 3 its often practical to take a longer route if the floor is better, or there are no angled pavements, or no loose stones etc...Speed will not negate rule 5. If you fall over then you won't save any time and it will be embarrassing)

I do have some "slow shoes," but I still need to get from Point A to Point B in a reasonable amount of time. I generally walk fast in heels, and can run if necessary!

18 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

10. Wipe your feet! (whenever its wet outside and you enter a building carefully wipe the soles of your shoes dry on the floor mat, this is all about the toe area sole.  The only grip in a stiletto is from that toe area and if its a smooth wet sole, or maybe in autumn has a slippery leaf stuck to it as then you're on a skating rink! When its dry no problem)

The only time I've ever gone down is right after I entered a store when it was snowing out. Believe it or not, it was not the toe area that got me, but rather snow/ice stuck to the heel which did not get completely removed by the floor mat at the entrance of the store.  I have since learned to take it real easy for that first 20 steps after stepping off the floor mat under those conditions. On slick, highly polished tile floors, you can almost experience the same effect if you're running certain slick plastic heel tips, typical of what comes on most shoes from the factory. I have a pair of boots that was actually dangerous to wear in a certain supermarket I frequent, and I had several close calls. After I replaced the heel tips with hard rubber, the problem was solved.

19 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

7. Never carry awkward objects. (Small weights on your sides is ok - eg bags on your elbows/forearms. Back packs are not practical. If you must carry a bulky or heavy object have someone help you. Get someone in flats to help. If you are both wearing high heels then carry such an object by taking a side each and walking forwards with it between you - except for doorways. When wearing heels don't carry anything in front or behind you, whether you're on your own or helping. Carrying stuff is the biggest nuisance/ limitation of heels.)

I guess I've violated the hell out of that rule for years! Don't get me wrong, carrying a cello in heels sucks! I've just gotten used to it over the past several years.

fullsizeoutput_10be.thumb.jpeg.8c6ad472618a8610346ad7d4f4fb15d3.jpeg

A useful guide, to be sure, and I thank you for it, but as with so many things in life, an absolute set of guidelines doesn't apply to every person 100%.

• Like 2

HI Mlroseplant,

True - nothing is absolute. Thats why its called advice. I think I said my rules were based on stiletto heeled pumps.

I'm impressed with that Cello pic! Fearsome effort!

You mentioned rubberised heels prevent slippage. Finer (skinnier) stiletto heel tips do not exist in rubber - the tips are too small to be rubberised. Mostly metal in the very very small tips, or dense Nylon/ plastic material. All my heels are 6mm/7mm at the largest. The handling factors of these skinnier heels is vastly different in my experience.

• Like 1

I had been wearing stilettos before this picture was taken (slightly thicker than your shoes, though, at 10 mm), but given the hilly terrain of the place I was visiting, I switched to those sturdier heels pictured, and I'm really glad I brought them with me.

Your post got me curious about the skinniness of my stiletto heels, so I measured some. It seems my favorite width, or at least my most usual, is 10 mm, although I do have some that are skinnier that that. I even have one pair that are 6 mm, which are surprisingly easy to walk in! It would seem that heel width alone is not a good predictor about how easy a pair of shoes is to walk in.

I think it's just certain types of plastic that cause me a problem, some seem just fine. The boots I was referring to, where I nearly ate it several times in the supermarket, had substantially thicker heels than stiletto, but wow, were they slippery! I still have small nightmares about it.

Gidday mlroseplant,

yes agree totally. Thinner heels doesn't mean the shoe will be harder to balance/wear etc. One might logically think so but thats not the reality.

I think its several factors, the thinness of the heel, the height, unlike a chunkier heel a finer stiletto shoe is affected by where the heel is positioned under the foot - some heels are at the very back of the shoe, others are more forward from the back of the shoe - these are my preferred option as I like the classical feel.

Where getting into quite technical analysis here...

5 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

I think its several factors, the thinness of the heel, the height, unlike a chunkier heel a finer stiletto shoe is affected by where the heel is positioned under the foot - some heels are at the very back of the shoe, others are more forward from the back of the shoe - these are my preferred option as I like the classical feel.

Where getting into quite technical analysis here...

Another issue with stiletto heels is that it is easier to take a misstep if the heel gets angled towards the side of the shoe so that when your weight is applied it kicks out sideways. This can happen if your shoe doesn't fit snugly enough, your on an uneven surface, or just take an awkward step (I've experienced all three).

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi Thighbootguy,

a sideways heel skid doesn't sound nice. I've never had this ever, always heel skidding out forwards causing me to topple backwards. Sideways sounds very very dangerous because that's ankle injury territory. Thinking about this now - if your heels are not bent, the shoe fits and is well made, then as you walk and step forwards the heel should always be in a vertical plane and not leaning sideways - if it does then the wearer is walking strangely, or the shoe not well made? Sure stiletto heels will lean sideways on uneven surfaces or because the wearer deliberately tilts them as they walk - but thats not slipping because the weight is already on the heel which in turn is on the ground (and this sideways flex is what makes a stiletto more comfortable in reality)

I hope you don't slip sideways anymore !

That one sentence described mishaps that have occurred over many years of heeling and sometimes in a worn out boot.  The other culprit is worn heel tips.  I chalk all this up to "Lessons Learned" and "Adventures in Heeling".  However, I do find that a broader heel is more forgiving. :thumbsup:

:wavey:

Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

To add to this post, be careful and aware of the surface you happen to be walking on while in heels. Wood, carpet, asphalt or pavement is one thing, but waxed tile floors in stores and malls can be downright treacherous when wearing stilettos, a wrong step and your foot could slide out from under you, leading to embarrassment and a sore behind. I've yet to have that happen to me, thank goodness, but I came close a time or two, and even a near fall or a momentary stumble can be mortifying because it feels like the eyes of the world is upon you.

Edited by JeffB
  • Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Oh dear, the old wobbly tired ankles scenario!

Someone has taken her hand for support so shes slowed right down but has still got the major wobbles!

I suspect the poor models spend a lot of time lined up - heels on - ready to go - and your ankles get tired - sure they could walk the runway in them if they were fresh - but they've been standing for 20 mins already and their ankles are fatigued before they begin. I know that very feeling, and the worse thing is you know you're in trouble from your first step, long before you totally loose it, or you begin to obviously wobble. Once you've started you'd just have to go and hope you're going to make it - just make it??

It doesn't matter who's wearing heels, where they're wearing them. We're all in the same boat. All of us are on a runway of sorts, all of us watched by an audience. Some of us seek an audience, a lot of us don't. Regardless we're all on display, so I sympathise with her pain. It is embarrassing situation but it's an everyday risk element of wearing high heels.

8 hours ago, OldMountain said:

Mmmm  Guess thats what keeping me from climbing them hiigher heels:

IMG_0892.JPG

Google "runway fails" and you'll get scores of videos about models rumbling, stumbling and bumbling. In most of the cases, the models were wearing stupidly high heeled and/or ridiculously impractical shoes, but the end result is the same----disaster!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

The above shoe might be a CL Lady Peep with 2 inch platform?

A platform is very different to a single sole in that the heel is easier to balance because the shoe has no flax, but you rock on your forefoot to walk the next step, you don't bend at the toes? Its hard to describe but the walk is a little different. Some platforms - especially taller platforms have a curve in the sole, so the the sole curves up towards the toes - this is to allow the shoe to rock. If it couldn't rock the wearer can;t wear it.

Platfoms also reduce the rise of the foot, so the heel looks taller but the wearer is in fact at a lower angle than they would be in a single sole heel. So its easier. Platforms also have thicker heels than the finer heels such as a CL So Kate.which makes then easier to wear.

I think yes platforms are easier to wear in 2 ways, but they feel ugly.

I suspect Mariah walked out of her shoe there... looks like she is sliding forward in her pumps, likely due to hosiery, her toes are poking forward a little too much. That is the problem with a peep and a high heel, you can slide forward, and it might be just enough to loose control of the back of the heel. Also platforms are worse for walking your foot out of should the shoe get a little loose! - This is because the blasted shoe doesn't bend, and your foot bends and lifts out of the shoe, whereas a nice standard high heel flexes with your foot, and you stay inside the shoe!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldMountain said:

Having said that, please enlighten me, which Lobo did Mariah wear, are these tricky to walk in?

IMG_0894.JPG

I am no expert at Loubie identification, but I do have the internet to help me! They are definitely not Lady Peep, which has a much smaller platform and thinner heel, and is actually a pretty good looking shoe. They are also not Lady Daf, which has the big platform, but again, a much thinner heel. The only model I could find in a brief search that had a big platform and a thick heel like that was the Altavera, so I'm going with that, until corrected. I'd never heard of this model before, and I can't say I like it much! Forgive me, I'm not trying to stir the platform pot again, please don't take offense if you love this model.

12 minutes ago, nzfreestyler said:

I just don't pay the same amount of attention to platforms as I do single soled shoes. I'm biased to begin with so probably a poor judge!

Every once in a while, maybe once or twice a year, we have a platforms debate. It usually starts with someone saying something platforms like the ones Mariah was wearing look like she is walking on hockey pucks. Then someone else will have to respond that they love big platforms. It always ends the same, we decide that each of us likes different things, and that's what makes the world interesting, but sometimes the discussion can get pretty heated!

• Like 1

No point debating it. Its a polarising subject. I agree. There's so much choice of style out there its always impossible to get a consensus. The more people get involved the less agreement. Lets just celebrate variety and the freedom to each have what we like!

• Like 1

It is Altareva. Just got it confirmed. Thats the one caused her to fall. Read fashion bomb may 16 2016.  This is the glitter variant, something for CAT ;

IMG_0897.JPG

Edited by OldMountain