Do you have a favorite shoe store, shoe brand?

Cali

I like to shop for shoes in person as much as possible.  Not only do they need to look good, they need to fit perfectly.  So I spend several hours each month just walking thru shoe stores looking and trying on shoes.

My favorite store is a small boutique.  They treat me very well. Since I'm a regular client one of the sales women will come over and show me what they have that is new.  I try on shoes there that I know I would never be able wear anywhere, but I just want to know how they feel.  Many times they will ignore women customers to service my (shoe) needs first.  I have found some great heels there (7+ pairs) in the past 2 years.

But my favorite brands are Steve Madden (Madden Girl, Steven, Steve Madden, Freebird) and Charles by Charles David.  Not all heels in these brands fit, but many seem to fit better than other brands.

So what about you.

Do you have a favorite shoe store you love to visit often?

Do you have favorite brands?

Unfavorite brands? Why?  (For me it's "Jessica Simpson", "Ivanka Trump",...just to narrow)

Cali, Sounds like a great place.  Where is the store located????  Do they carry larger (11-12) sizes???  Thanks, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

13 hours ago, Cali said:

Do you have favorite brands?

Unfavorite brands? Why?  (For me it's "Jessica Simpson", "Ivanka Trump",...just to narrow)

I like Michael Kors a lot. I have quite a few pairs. Least favorite is Colin Stuart (Victoria's secret brand). No matter how cute they look, I've found the quality is so poor, they don't stand up to actual use.

• Like 1

I have bought a few pair of pumps, G by Guess. I need to find another brand. These are man made material and every pair is right across the top of my foot and the edge of the foot opening presses into the top of my foot. Funny, I can wear them for a few hours, but if sitting, shortly they get uncomfortable. The size is good, length width. I have noticed some brands flare the opening upward a tiny bit right at the toes. Perhaps this would not bite in so hard.

Edited by Pumped

8 hours ago, Pumped said:

I have bought a few pair of pumps, G by Guess. I need to find another brand. These are man made material and every pair is right across the top of my foot and the edge of the foot opening presses into the top of my foot. Funny, I can wear them for a few hours, but if sitting, shortly they get uncomfortable. The size is good, length width. I have noticed some brands flare the opening upward a tiny bit right at the toes. Perhaps this would not bite in so hard.

Hi Pumped,  I'm going start a new tread in the general "everybody" forum on tips and tricks of the trade I have learned.

Here's one I learned from talking to a woman who was sale associate in a large Macy's women's shoe department. While she was bringing me the shoes I asked to try on I notice she had tissue between he foot and the top of the shoe.  She told me that she was required to wear some heels and that it hurt her foot.  Well I took that concept even more.  Sometime when you get a new pair of heels, the shoebox will have some thin high-density foam for packaging. This is worth 10 times it's weight in gold. Take a pair of scissors and cut a piece of this high-density material to match the contour of the edge.  Then slip this material between your foot and the annoying edge.  This should help.

I don't wear pumps because on this problem.

Edited by Cali

Being on the fluffy wide footed side , Payless used to be my fave . Then they stopped selling the wider widths in size 12 women's . Since then I have found Lane Bryant & Torrid to be my go to stores . I am more into the wedges and platform styles they sell .   

Some Nordstroms Racks have some large sizes of boots, although the selection is very inconsistent, of course. 

Regular Nordstroms has fairly good customer service too, although last time I went they wanted me to try on the boots in the back room.

Just about all the good brick and mortars with large sizes have been killed off by the internet though. 

On 4/15/2017 at 3:54 AM, alphax said:

Some Nordstroms Racks have some large sizes of boots, although the selection is very inconsistent, of course. 

Regular Nordstroms has fairly good customer service too, although last time I went they wanted me to try on the boots in the back room.

Just about all the good brick and mortars with large sizes have been killed off by the internet though. 

I buy at Nordstrom Rack all the time.  There are two better stores and two less so with 10's and 11's that I buy.  The regular stores I only shop when the sales racks come out on the floor.  I've bought stuff there for about 50% off.  Dillards is carrying 11's more now (I used to skip them) and they have extreme sales at the end of season.  I purchased three pairs of boots for $35, $28, and $48 each.  They were $220-$250 originally.  I can't find anything that good on the internet (anymore) unless it's used.   It's always a waiting game as the longer they stay on the shelf the lower the price gets.  Wait too long and they are gone.  

One of my favorite shoe stores is Marmi Shoes.  They have eight or 10 stores throughout the United States as well as on line shopping.  Most all of their shoes and sandals go to size 12, even some 13's.  The styles vary from business to casual.  I have at least 5 pair of sandals that I have purchased at Marmi.  The staff at the stores are very helpful too, and they are very acceptable to guys trying on shoes in the store, I have even been offered to try on shoes in private, but declined.  

The shoes do tend to be a bit pricey, up to $125, but the shoes / sandals are very well made and of good quality, so you get what you pay for.  They do have sales which is nice.  

They did have a store in the SF Bay area but sadly it closed.  Give Marmi a try and see what you think.    Have fun...  sf  

Here is a pic of me and the wife wearing a pair of sandals from Marmi Shoes.  The style is Merlion, very comfy and fun to wear...

IMG_7955.jpg

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 1 month later...

I visited my favorite store two weeks ago and walked out with a new pair of SpeedLimit98 heels. That's the trouble with visiting your favorite store, it can be hazardous to your wallet.

Cali,

My favourite store to look at shoes in one place is Nordstrom Rack or what I have referred to before as the "Shoe Disneyland". Typical shops on my circuit are the Aldo Outlet store at Prime Outlets in Kenosha, a Steve Madden store in the "Bucktown" area of Chicago, a Call It Spring store at Gurnee Mills Mall, and several DSW locations between Milwaukee and Chicago. I do like Jessica SImpson as the shoes always fit well and the styles are edgy. If you are a regular customer that always makes a big difference. If you wear heels while entering a store then that makes it the best possible experience. Ask anyone who has done it. Wearing the same brand as the store you're in may lead to an unpublished discount. It's all about the interaction which is why we shop in-person.  HappyinHeels

• Like 3

I try to hit the DSW stores when I am near one - - - not too often. There is a Nordstroms Rack i get too once in awhile, but they have never impressed me with their selection. I used to get to a Nine West Outlet store, but they are gone now. Beyond that, there is an adult boutique that I stop at once in awhile. The crew knows me so anything going on clearance that they know will interest me is kinda tucked away, and usually comes at an additional price reduction.

Locally, I get Walmart, Payless, and Shoe Carnival. Sneakers and flats prevail.

Most of the heel brands and outlets I favored have abandoned the styling I prefer in order to follow their idea on today's fashion cycle, which tend to look a bit deformed in my perception. Thus going from store to store hasn't been as fruitful in finding the heels I want to accent my appearance. I wonder if the market had actually been demand driven, would I have to wait for the cycle to change to find the heel styles I want? Then again, the cost would be higher to accommodate the process. Occasionally, I find my preferred styles in the clearance areas, sales sites, being sold by Ebayer's, or by on consignment sellers wanting to liquefy their investment(s) or to make some room available in their closet for their next purchase(s). However, I have been active in the Italia Boutique auctions and other European high heel sites when I can afford them. I may be fanatic about the styles I prefer, but it keeps my budget in some degree of balance most of the time.

I am also lucky as far a day heel sizing goes, as I fit 9-10 depending on the shoe, so I can shop in any store. While I am hard pressed to name a specific store, I've had great service all over Miami and Boca Raton. Most purchases have been from Nordstrom, Nine West, Cole Haan, and Steve Madden. One of my best experiences though was a Saks in Boca where the sales guy was also wearing heels and nearly insisted I try on everything in my size ;)

• Like 3

(formerly known as "JimC")

8 hours ago, Histiletto said:

Most of the heel brands and outlets I favored have abandoned the styling I prefer in order to follow their idea on today's fashion cycle, which tend to look a bit deformed in my perception. Thus going from store to store hasn't been as fruitful in finding the heels I want to accent my appearance. I wonder if the market had actually been demand driven, would I have to wait for the cycle to change to find the heel styles I want? Then again, the cost would be higher to accommodate the process. Occasionally, I find my preferred styles in the clearance areas, sales sites, being sold by Ebayer's, or by on consignment sellers wanting to liquefy their investment(s) or to make some room available in their closet for their next purchase(s). However, I have been active in the Italia Boutique auctions and other European high heel sites when I can afford them. I may be fanatic about the styles I prefer, but it keeps my budget in some degree of balance most of the time.

I find myself in the same predicament these days. I prefer the styles that were popular a few years back. For one thing, heel heights have been lowered in general (Louboutin and the like excepted), and I just don't like anything lower than about 12 cm. This has its advantages and disadvantages. On the one hand, you can get models that are a few years old pretty cheap, and often they're brand new or barely worn. On the other hand, finding some of the stuff that you really want can be nearly impossible, because it's gone! There are a couple of non-current shoe models that I've been searching for for literally years, with no luck. Until the style trends change, I imagine it will only get harder and harder to find the stuff we like.

Still, it's better than it was back in the dark days of the mid 1990s. No online shopping/searching, and heaven help you if you wanted some stilettos higher than about 8 cm!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockpup said:

I am also lucky as far a day heel sizing goes, as I fit 9-10 depending on the shoe, so I can shop in any store. While I am hard pressed to name a specific store, I've had great service all over Miami and Boca Raton. Most purchases have been from Nordstrom, Nine West, Cole Haan, and Steve Madden. One of my best experiences though was a Saks in Boca where the sales guy was also wearing heels and nearly insisted I try on everything in my size ;)

That is so cool!

Has to be Franco Sarto.      My local DSW I shop at,  the Manager her name is Jeanna  she knows my tastes in heel size varies and when I walk in might be flats or 4 inch heels.   When I first started shopping there.   She asked if I needed help and what I was looking for,  I said high heels. her and me chuckled for a minute.    I told her I was a regular at Bakers shoes,   But the styles always were on the narrow side and I wear a 9 and a half too a size 10 wide.    She recommended Franco Sartos and showed me a few styles and told me to try them on and see how they fit.   Not bad I told her.   she had me walk around the store in the heels and said those look nice and that she wished that she could wear heels like that and that I walk very well in them (that is a good ice breaker).   She knows I like strappy sandals with a 2 to 3 inch heel and will hold back a pair or two  that she thinks I might like(no buying pressure).   The staff is excellent and and enjoy me coming in.   Even if I do not purchase ,The Ladies say I know more about the shoes and brands in the store more than them    and they love my feedback.    Franco Sartos then Nine West    And any Feminine sandal that fits and is semi comfortable regardless of brand that looks pretty on my feet!

4 hours ago, Rockpup said:

What kind of heels was he as the SA wearing? Remarkable that management allowed him outfit himsel as he enjoyed. Usually SA st Saks wearing suits in male dress patent shoes. Suppose it would make the customers feel uneasy seeing guy feminized or seeing him  wearing heels. Although in female shoe department customers are also looking to buy heels. In my opinion if the said guy in heels looks better then females customers it can leave a bad taste in there mouth unlikey to purchase items. 

That experience must of been blast having been encourged to try on everything. Having the experience documented would be even better. Lucky your 9-10 size can fit  in every woman shoe seeing most designer heels top out at 10 US. 

Macky,

You are assuming the management would be against the SA wearing heels.  Maybe the management encourages him to wear heels, to help sell more shoes to male customers. Maybe they have a high number of retired heel wearers there in Boca Raton.

I had a male SA at Cathy Jeans that help me find some beautiful booties.  He then remember me each time I went past the store. 

Edited by Cali

Cali,

So did you give a lecture in your Speed Limit 98 sandals you posted recently???  That would be something impressive of a university which espouses diversity but many times a closer analysis shows their practices  are much more inflexible. If you are accepted, in an unmitigated way, then that is refreshing indeed.  HappyinHeels

HinH,

I have been lecturing my classes for the past 8 years in women's shoes, mostly 1-2 inch booties. For the past 2-3 years in HIGH heels. I discovered a 4 inch differential changed my hip-leg dynamics and took me out of pain. I might as well have fun and enjoy my heels and I certainly do! I had some extremely nasty things happen to my body, heels help me deal with one of them. It has never even been mentioned to me and I know the President and Chancellor on a first name bases

So that picture of my feet in my new SpeedLimit98's with was taken outside my house before I left for work.  Lectured 5+ hours that day and wore them for 12+ hours.

Cali,

That's cool! I have the same SL98 heels in camel and denim. They could've made the velcro strap a little longer but they fit fine. I wonder if faculty (or student) would take a photo of your heels "on the job". That's great they reduce your physical pain if not the financial pain of being hooked on heels. HappyinHeels 

17 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

... a photo of your heels "on the job".     HappyinHeels 

There are several already posted in different topics on hhplace.

I too would prefer a longer velcro strap too.  

I'm going to put up a couple of galleries with 3 - 4 groups, Wedges, Boots, CFM's, ...but I have to downsize them.

Edit: here are some:

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...