Beatle boots and winklepickers

Puffer

Those (like me) who remember the late 1950s and early 1960s in the UK will no doubt recall when fashionable men's shoes had sharply-pointed 'winklepicker' toes (or, a little later, squared-off 'chisel' toes) and 'Beatle boots' with cuban heels were made popular.   A lot of us flouted school uniform rules in order to look (and feel) 'with it'!

I came across this feature with reproductions of old shoe catalogues:   http://rockpopfashion.com/blog/?p=1263#comments   Very nostalgic - and £3.00 or so was the usual price for a decent pair of leather shoes in that period! 

• Like 1

I recall wanting a pair of 'winklepickers' way back when, I think I was about 13 at the time. As parents were not so easy going in those days, you basically wore what they bought you what they wanted you to wear, I had to wait some three years until I was working so I could buy them myself. never had a pair of 'beatle boots' (maybe because I couldn't stand them)but was right into the platform soles of the 70's even though in my 30's by that time.

9 hours ago, nyenor said:

I recall wanting a pair of 'winklepickers' way back when, I think I was about 13 at the time. As parents were not so easy going in those days, you basically wore what they bought you what they wanted you to wear, I had to wait some three years until I was working so I could buy them myself. never had a pair of 'beatle boots' (maybe because I couldn't stand them)but was right into the platform soles of the 70's even though in my 30's by that time.

Yes, parental pressure usually overcame personal or peer preferences, at least for everyday clothing.   I managed to get some pointed (but not extreme) shoes and boots but hadn't the guts to wear Beatle boots until I was almost 60!   I had no wish at all to wear platforms, then or subsequently, or any footwear that might be considered chunky, other than work-boots in the proper context. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for a pair of beatle type boots, I wear a pair of ankle boots from Marks and Spencer center stich design and a bit of a heel, love them wear them daily but they only go to size 8 uk, you can find them in the womens section, love wearing them. I only take a size 7 uk girl friend (of 34 years) has a pair of size 6 and I can fit in them, bit tight and I would not want to stretch them but I could wear them all day.

life is not a rehearsal

• 7 months later...

Saw a pair of black  'winklepickers'  with a cuban heel in a TK Maxx store recently but unfortunately they were too big, Going to keep my eyes open from now on though. TK Maxx, you never know what youl find.

Addicted to the click