Sold On Sandals & Slides!

JeffB

Way, way back when I first started wearing women's shoes, I only wore pumps and boots, that was what I liked and what I wanted to wear, the concept of wearing any other style was completely alien to me. And the one style that was most alien to me were sandals. Back then, I had absolutely zero interest in wearing a shoe that wasn't a "closed" style like pumps and boots, on top of that, I just didn't like what sandals looked like as I found them unattractive. However, as with every aspect of fashion freestyling that eventually led me to wearing skirts full time on my outings, I found myself curious about sandals when I saw a platform wedge style at Payless Shoe Store that intrigued me, so, to satisfy that curiosity, I bought a pair which had a near five inch wedge heel and found that I liked how they looked, both when I wore them with jeans, then with skirts, and that left me even more intrigued.

In time as I wore those sandals more, the more I came to overcome my dislike of them and started buying different styles. I came to appreciate just how stylish sandals could be, especially with my skirts, from flats to low heels to four inchers, I quickly became enamored with sandals because they looked good on me, something I found surprising. As an aside, I came to love one particular sandal style, they being wedges, I found them to be kicky and fun to wear, ditto for four inch high espadrille like wedges which were super cool to me. Then there were slides which I liked even less than sandals, seeing them as THE most impractical shoe ever, but again, curiosity gripped me when I experimented with the Payless "O'Malley" four inch platform wedge slide and found that liked them, heck, I liked them so much that I bought them in four colors. Now, in 2016, I was so nuts about sandals and slides, they were all I wore during spring and summer, I just couldn't bring myself to wear any other shoe during warm weather months, and that was mostly unintentional. But, in the spring and summer of 2017, it's going to be intentional as I plan to wear ONLY my sandals and slides because I love them so much.

How crazy am I for sandals? I currently have eleven pairs in my collection with two more on the way as I type these words of wit(?) along with ten pairs of slides, so I have no reason to wear anything else once the weather warms up. Quite the startling turnaround in my mindset from a few years ago when I couldn't stand wearing such shoes, now they're an important staple of my summer wardrobe, and I'm plenty excited about that.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I too used to shy away from sandals in my younger days, and part of that is that I'm pretty picky about my feet. Before I started wearing heels, I was unable to find a pair of men's sandals that I would be seen in. I would often go barefoot, but there was no way I was going to put those ugly men's sandals on my feet. I did eventually find a pair of men's sandals in Vietnam which were acceptable. I wore the heck out of them.

Shortly after that time, I decided to try high heels seriously for the first time. It wasn't long before I bought my first pair of high heeled sandals, and, like your first pair, they happened to be wedges. They also happened to be slides. As the collection has grown, more than half of my shoes are sandals, and most of those are slides. I'm not crazy about wedges, but they are awfully practical in the summer months when one might be walking on grass for a backyard party or something. I have a lot of stiletto heeled sandals, and quite a few wooden-heeled sandals. It may be time for another inventory soon, as I have made a lot of changes lately.

There is one thing that I haven't been able to bring myself to do, and I don't know why it's such a mental block. That is, to wear sandals when the weather is still cold, as I often see women do (usually it's in a very casual situation, like going to the grocery store). I am blessed with feet that don't get cold easily, so I could wear sandals when temperatures dictate the necessity of a coat, but I don't feel comfortable doing that, for some reason.

• Like 1

ALIEN Invasion of HHPLACE

10 hours ago, JeffB said:

And the one style that was most alien to me were sandals.

I'm still in the boot camp. 

BOOTCMP2.JPG.b8146f023695b28a736a827a14fe3adf.JPGPhotoshop image from 1996.

I'm not really comfortable in pumps and I have a tough time wrapping my head around wearing sandals.  However if the 50F temperature swings we have had this winter continue into the spring and summer I may not have a choice but to give them a try. :penitent:

:wavey:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Yep, he does keep them polished. I've seen them!

Jeff, I'm in a similar part of my journey. I used to like wearing sandals back in the 70s when I owned a couple of pair of men's heeled sandals and women's heeled sandals. But those days are gone, and for the last 35 years I disliked sandals, didn't wear any, and didn't own any. About 5 years or so, I started to dabble in women's sandals again, and found I really liked them. I've gone overboard, like Mlroseplant, and most of my heels today are sandals. I have a few wedges, but I much prefer a distinct block heel 3 to 3.5" high. I have some slides as well. In the past few years when the weather is warm, sandals are all I wear. I put the closed-toe shoes and boots away for the summer and don't give them a second thought! Part of the motivation to wear sandals is that I've come to love pedicures and I like to show them off! HappinHeels will attest to that!

Steve

• Like 1

miroseplant: The notion of wearing sandals in cold weather is a non-starter for me as I put mine away after October, perhaps sooner depending on the weather, and it's no big deal for me as it allows for a smooth transition back to pumps and boots for the cold weather months to come.

TBG: I understand your reluctance to branch out from boots, and that's okay. For me, I wanted to expand my horizons in every way possible when it came to footwear, and that led to my interest in sandals and slides which I quick came to enjoy. At least give them a try and see what happens.

HappyinHeels: Better late than never for me when it comes to sandals. Funny thing is, I like low to flat sandals more than higher ones, they just look better to me.

Steve63160: For me, I love wedges when it comes to sandals and slides, I find them fun and fashionable.

Hey Jeff,

I like sandals so much I'll wear them even on cool days. While I have never worn sandals in the snow I have worn them when there was no snow but the temperatures were under 40F/4C so I guess I'm more impervious to cold than most sandal wearers. Must be the Canadian ancestry!

HappyinHeels

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Hey Jeff,

I like sandals so much I'll wear them even on cool days. While I have never worn sandals in the snow I have worn them when there was no snow but the temperatures were under 40F/4C so I guess I'm more impervious to cold than most sandal wearers. Must be the Canadian ancestry!

HappyinHeels

Must be! I wouldn't wear sandals below 60F!  :giggle:

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

This wasn't you?

IMG_7546.PNG

No way, no how! YIKES! I got cold just looking at that picture!

18 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Hey Jeff,

HappyinHeels

I'll wear sandals (with nylon hosiery) down to 40F (4C) as I did for a walk with the wife yesterday. We went about a mile in 25 minutes at a slow pace. She's dealing with illness so her stamina is limited. Without hosiery, I won't wear sandals when it's lower than 50F (10C).

Steve

2 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I think this is a little more to @JeffB's liking.

post-530-0-38779200-1420579369_thumb.jpg

I did come across a sandal image of one I wore back in 2011 (which may explain my reticence)

post-928-133522959901_thumb.jpg

:wavey:

The first picture got a chuckle out of me. Heh! As for the second picture, I'm sure you could find something a good deal more stylish than that.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always liked the look of sandals, particularly the lighter, strappier women's styles, as most traditional men's styles are so heavy and ugly.   Until perhaps 25 years ago, it was unusual in the UK to see a man barefoot in open sandals other than at the beach or pool and, like heels, there was a 'too feminine' stigma attached to them when worn normally in public.   But times have changed and it is very common to see men in sandals in most informal settings - and I don't just mean the ubiquitous (and scarcely attractive) rubber flip-flops; many more elegant and often unisex styles are available in men's sizes although women still have a far better selection, alas.  Anyone holidaying in Greece or Italy, for example, can find good-looking leather sandals at a reasonable price.

I wear sandals as often as possible in the summer months when the weather and practicality permit.   Whilst I would like to try wedges, I have yet to find any that would fit and be sufficiently discreet.   So, I have to be content with some like these four pairs, all of which are cool and comfortable. 

Berk original.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS67Q6P6QimvquSG2kx5lH

Birk 1.jpg

Piazza 1.jpg

Edited by Puffer

I have two pairs of women's Tevas that are very comfortable.  It's interesting when I am in line at a store and see a women is a similar pair 

But you don't have to limit yourself to flat sandals. Here's some of my work "sandals"

Also got the white pair in black.  The CFMs turn a lot of heads when pair with shorts.

Wedge_A.JPG

dreamgrl01.JPG

• Like 1

Cali, if you don't mind, pics of the clogs please. And - the ones for which you posted pics are really nice. Finally - congrats on color on the toes - I'm a big fan of that look!

Logjam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Logjam said:

Cali, if you don't mind, pics of the clogs please. And - the ones for which you posted pics are really nice. Finally - congrats on color on the toes - I'm a big fan of that look!

Logjam

Toenails change every 2 or 3 weeks.  So which look since there are two different looks....lol

Can't find any with my feet in them, sorry, but here the product's picture. 

Steve Madden Estrella mules; 1.5 inch platform, 5 inch heels. Have two pairs. I wear these everywere.

STEVEMADDEN-SANDALS_ESTRELLA_TAUPE-SUEDE_SIDE.jpg

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

Sorry, I know very few manufacturers make shoes over size 11 (US).  I understand how lucky I am that I fit into size 10's. I imagine it must be hard to those of you that are size 12 plus. But that's how it was for me and men's shoes, nothing ever really fit. Now in women's shoes, so many styles fit I'm like a child in a candy store. Just love to go shoe shopping...don't have to buy any to enjoy it.  I now understand how an afternoon of shoe shopping and trying shoes on is so intoxicating and invigorating.

Wore the mules above to Costco. A few looks and a few "I like your shoes" from women.

• Like 1

Yep, it's a challenge. Payless of course always has a few in 13, but per another topic, that may not be for long, and with theirs, one has to choose very carefully. I've noticed that Nordstrom's carries more than a few 13s, but a lot of those are not to my taste, and the $$ are up there. Nordstrom Rack 13 section comes and goes. I should probably swing by there, it's been a while.

Logjam

• 2 weeks later...

For flat sandals I have several pairs (in different colors) of these Teva's "Tirra"s.

Seen many women with these.when I had them on.  Shows off my colored toe nails.

Teva sandals4266-BNS_1.jpg

Edited by Cali

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone on a trip somewhere should research the nearest Nordstrom Rack to their route because I call it the "Shoe Disneyland". No other store has a shoe section like it. Once you experience it you'll see for yourself!  HappyinHeels

1 hour ago, HappyinHeels said:

Everyone on a trip somewhere should research the nearest Nordstrom Rack to their route because I call it the "Shoe Disneyland". No other store has a shoe section like it. Once you experience it you'll see for yourself!  HappyinHeels

That's a 4 hour trip - - and the one near TBG had a terrible selection last time I stopped in.

3 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

I shopped one in a larger city near me and it was a mess! I walked in and out in a couple minutes. It looked like a bomb had gone off and it was about impossible to find anything. 

3 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

I think it depends on where you shop and your foot size. I've never found any shoes I wanted to buy at the Nordstrom Rack near me either.  I rather go to a DSW.