Hail to the Handbag!

JeffB

Way back in 2008 when I first started wearing skirts in public, I didn't carry all that much on my person: wallet, car keys, house keys and my cellphone. Not too much, but I when I wore pants, I put those items in my pockets, no big deal, right? Ahh, but with skirts, it was a horse of another color as pockets on them were small, sometimes ridiculously small, and on other styles, they were nonexistent, a problem to be sure. I learned early on that the only way to solve that problem was to put those items in an, ahem, external carrying case. In other words....a bag.

Now, it's one thing to lug around a backpack which I do daily, but a bag? I wasn't sure at first that I could do something like that, so, out of pure self-consciousness, I started out with something relatively manly looking, that being the crossbody style Buxton Bag which I bought at, of all places, a drug store. I felt comfortable and at ease using that bag (which I still have to this day) on my travels, and, it's style enabled me to keep my hands free during my travels, another bonus to be sure. In time, I gradually built up enough confidence to move up to the next level, a woman's purse, something I felt I needed to do as I integrated skirts more and more into my outings. The first time I carried a handbag in public, I'll admit to feeling a level of nervousness I never experienced when I first wore a skirt, thinking people would stare at me during my travels. But, when that never happened, I came to enjoy carrying a purse, so much so that I don't feel dressed if I don't have a bag and never, and I repeat, NEVER leave home without one. I bought more bags in different styles, sizes and colors, but the bulk of my collection are in black because black goes with everything. Prior to each and every outing, I devote a good ten minutes or so choosing just the right bag, and, of course I follow the longtime fashion mantra that says my bag must match the color of my shoes.

I've also bought bags in other colors, brown, red, navy and beige, and I have them in varying sizes from small bags to large satchels or totes for when I'm carrying everything from keys, my wallet, an umbrella to my e-reader, even my iPad. It's hard to put into words, but the comfortable heft of a full handbag on my shoulder feels good to me and is an integral part of my identity as a fashion freestyler. Anyone who says a man can't or shouldn't carry a purse, to that, I say---BUNK! It's not just fun, it's liberating as well.

Edited by JeffB
  • Like 3

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

From the chorus of the Chad Mitchel Trio's 1965 hit "Draft Dodger Rag" by Phil Ochs:

Sarge, I'm only eighteen, I got a ruptured spleen
And I always carry a purse

Times have changed.  Like @JeffB I always carry a purse and I occasionally still perform that song in boots with a purse.

GEDC1470.jpg.653386648ceee34898693525c3a56d05.jpgToday's out and about outfit.

:wavey:

Edited by Thighbootguy
Added photo
  • Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Ah, memories. I first heard that song sung by Pete Seeger, and every now and then I listen to it again. Some great lines in it. "If you ever get a war without blood and gore, then I'll be the first to go!"

Well, I always carry a purse now, too. I have NEVER, EVER had a comment on it, by the way. It's a black cloth bag with a wide shoulder strap and I bought it at Macy's for $80. It's a Kipling bag (made in Belgium, I think). I've had it since last summer and it shows no signs of wear. The previous one I got was from DSW and cost $55 and it was unfortunately a piece of junk. I don't remember the brand, but it lasted a year and that was stretching it. It was pretty shabby at the end. Anyway, it's great to have lots of room not only for my phone, keys, wallet, handkerchief, and reading glasses, I can also stuff other things in it like sunglasses, skin lotion, nail clippers, iPad mini, a dozen frequent buyer loyalty cards, a pen or two, small hairbrush and mirror, lip balm, and even my Swiss Navy knife. Going to the post office? Stuff the letters in the bag. Going to a meeting? Stuff papers in it. Going to happy hour with friends? Stuff a hip flask or split of wine in it. Don't forget the crackers and cheese! Going to a ham radio club event? Stuff a walkie-talkie in it. There are lots of reasons to carry a purse. Women have this all figured out. Men can do it, too, and there are no repercussions at all in carrying one. Just do it.

Steve

• Like 1

I remember a post asking us all what we carried in our bags. The answers were varied which proved a bag's utility. I am big believer in carrying a spare pair of heels with me to allow for changing environment or moods for that matter. A bag allows this to happen. I have four different bags: a gold one, a taupe one, a cognac one which matches several wedge sandals I have and a tan fringe bag which Steve63130 has seen. I like them all!

HappyinHeels

• Like 1

The biggest difference is the spelling.  I think they are synonyms but purse may have a more feminine connotation. 

:wavey:

Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Purse, in the US and Canada, usually means a woman's handbag, but in other parts of the world and historically, it can be any bag or pouch for containing money. I commonly call mine a purse or handbag or shoulder bag. It really is a Kipling brand bag designed for the women's market, but there is nothing inherently feminine looking about it. Femininity is in the eye of the beholder anyway. It's just that after 25 years of carrying a bag, I'm not about to give up ever. It makes so much sense to me, I can carry far more stuff in it, and I LOVE not having things make my pockets bulge. I think that's an awful look.

Steve

Kipling Purse.JPG