What's your favourite shoe shop?

Firefox

I check out Baker's, a US chain that now has an online store http://www.bakersshoes.com they carry pretty much every sort of style, from various boots to sandals, pumps (courts), and anything in between. Some department stores (JCPenney's, Dillard's, and Foley's) have good selections as well, and they tend to carry "conservative" styles that pretty much anyone can wear (Steve Madden, Candie's, Skechers, etc.).

The size issue is a real headache. Evidently, there's no real uniformity in how shoes are sized, so I wear anything from a US men's 7 to 9.5, and US women's 8 to 10. It's crazy; corporations ought to aim for "customer satisfaction" by deciding just how to measure shoe size.

G'day,

For those of us in Sydney, my wife has bought many a shoe from Garry Castles....heel heights vary, but the workmanship in the shoe is amazing!

Here a couple of shoes from GCs.

http://spikeysteps.8m.net/blkpat.JPG

http://spikeysteps.8m.net/blkmul.JPG

http://spikeysteps.8m.net/whtslg.JPG

:smile:

Geoff.

Edit by Firefox to make pics work. The webserver that Geoff uses has code to stop downloading of pictures. In order to see them, right click URL, do properties, copy and paste URL, or type in URL direct to browser.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-23 03:12 ]</font>

When trying to look at one of the pictures Geoff tried to post, I suddenly found myself looking at a screen with the following text:

<quote>

Forbidden

Remote Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You do not have permission to access http://spikeysteps.8m.net/blkpat.JPG

Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using ..........

<end of quote>

So it is the same as with Geocities: you can only acccess files when you are on their own website - no off-site viewing.

the online payless shoe source site has like 0 good looking shoes in my size (12 womens) and no knee high boots, just hiking boots....the local store may be better, but ive never been in it....as i cant drive, could take the bus...might some day to browse around...so i guess my favorite shoe store is ebay now

• 1 month later...

Oh, I'll go to rediculous lengths to get stils like using the web - risky. Anyhow, for everyday up to 5 inch, Zomp in Melbourne would have to be a favourite, just about live there when I'm in the mood lot's of Italian numbers. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I disagree about Ravel being always good. They really lost their way in the 1990's after some great styles in the 1980's. However, recently they have been back on form vis a vis nice heels, but not up to Faith, Dune, or Barrat's standards.

When I think about it you are right Firefox they did loose their way a bit in the 90's :smile: I can remember going in on a number of occassions and coming out empty handed :smile: I forgot to mention Faith (another favourite) you are right on that one they never seem to let you down jo-jo xx

Don't ask me how I walk in them just try a pair

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm two hours away from New York City by train and there's a store there called Tall Girls Shoes of 35th Street that has a large selection of shoes in sizes 13 and, in some case, higher. The sales staff are very helpful, and they have no trouble with guys like me trying on shoes. I've bought a couple of pairs of pumps there over the last couple of months, and will probably make it a habit to go there once a month. Between that store and Payless, I've got six pairs of pumps (all black) just for the office, and I plan to buy more in the months to come!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I don't live in the States but what I've seen of Payless on the net have been very boring styles for my personal taste, 1 to 3 inch heels, whereas I prefer 3 to 5 inch heels, normally around 4.

Such a shame when fashions change a fraction and you just can't get what you want. It wrecked Ravel which was a fine shop. They nearly went under too, but have started to pull it together again recently. Still, I'm always on the look out for interesting trends in shoe shops so watch this space. My experience is of course UK based, so make sure the American continent, Europe and Oz get a look in too everyone. Many of these places do mail order on the net so it's always good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that no one has mentioned http://www.trashy.com before now. It is on-line only, but they do have a lot of non-fetish styles, even a couple of plat boots that would appeal to Terayon. If you click on the image that says "size 11 and up" you will find that most of the styles they carry are available up to size 13. The prices are better than most places as well. Granted, most items are made of synthetics, but I can live with that.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Miko Lingerie in Providence RI is my all time favorite. The sales ladies there are extremely helpful and supportive. This was one of the first places that I actually admitted to the sales lady that the shoes were for me. Not only did they bring me the shoes I wanted, they kept bringing out loads of others for me to try on! :smile: David