Excursions Of HeeledSteve

HeeledSteve

On 12/8/2018 at 8:44 AM, Shyheels said:

Gosh, that’s a shame. This how much more stylish it would be to wear your boots and have your coffee in a funky cool cafe...

Absolutely, unfortunately things have got in the way this weekend and we have been around the house the entire weekend. Lets hope the week brings more opportunities.

Addicted to the click

Last couple of nights I’ve visited a couple of shops to get a few things. Last night I filled my car up with fuel and went in to pay. I was wearing my stiletto Chelsea style ankle boots. As I walked out on the very smooth tiled floor I came very close to a disastrous stiletto failure. My left foot suddenly skidded right out and I nearly fell. I managed to regain my balance just in time but it was a close call.

Addicted to the click

Anybody witness it?

It is the sort of thing that could just as readily happen to a woman in stilettos - and would no doubt occasion some sniffs of disapproval from those who see stilettos as silly frivolous things anyway - but a guy slipping while wearing them as farther to fall, so to speak. Glad to hear you caught your balance. 

thats the down sides of a stiletto heel !

I still do it now and again but I never go down anymore - there might be a little backwards running ... but thats the problem with stiletto heels on hard surfaces such as marble or very hard lino tiles, glass, metal plates.

Good thing you kept your balance - but don't be phased just keep on going like nothing happened.

on a side note I have found that skidding of late has been the downside of my heels - I don't break heels etc but I have bent two heels in the last 2 years - both times from sliding on marble floors. Looks quite funny the heel actually bends quite tightly at the bottom - not from the top - about an inch above the ground bends in a good curve inwards towards my toes.

Yes it was a very close call one foot went straight across the midline of my body from outside to in. I think I was lucky not to fall but managed to correct quickly enough. Casually shrugged it of by commenting to the shop assistant “ that was close “ before calmly walking out accompanied by the sound of the heels. If he hadn’t noticed the stilettos when I went in I’m sure he had by the time I’d left.

I think it was largely my own fault I may have got my left foot past the centre of my body when I put my weight on it. I’m never sure if for a man you should put one foot directly in line with the other like women do.

Id be interested to know do you guys try to walk in stilettos like a woman would or a different technique?

Addicted to the click

2 minutes ago, HeeledSteve said:

Yes it was a very close call one foot went straight across the midline of my body from outside to in. I think I was lucky not to fall but managed to correct quickly enough. Casually shrugged it of by commenting to the shop assistant “ that was close “ before calmly walking out accompanied by the sound of the heels. If he hadn’t noticed the stilettos when I went in I’m sure he had by the time I’d left.

I think it was largely my own fault I may have got my left foot past the centre of my body when I put my weight on it. I’m never sure if for a man you should put one foot directly in line with the other like women do.

Id be interested to know do you guys try to walk in stilettos like a woman would or a different technique?

I have often wondered about this.  I don't think I could pull it off or look good walking this way.  I have "slipped" more than once also for various reasons, fortunately I have caught/corrected myself everytime...

20 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

A feminine gait would be unnatural and probably lead to more slippage and falling. 

Yes I can see what you mean but how do you get a happy medium so you don’t end up walking like a robot? I’m finding I can’t walk like I do in flat shoes or it looks and feels terrible. I imagine shorter steps and keeping your feet more in line with the centre of the body would be best?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Addicted to the click

HeeledSteve,

My guess you slipped on some coffee drippings as you were leaving. I have never fallen in heels but I rarely fall at all in any situation. Apparently my legs are shorter than they should be proportionate to my body above the waist. Owing to a centre of gravity about 12 cm nearer the ground I believe is a major factor. Other factors I believe are having learned to ice skate at a very young age, climbing trees as a youngster (okay, I can still do that) and a constant awareness of my surroundings. Since I wear heels a lot I'm all the more aware of my steps and the type of pavements or ground I'm walking on. When I look back in time it does not surprise me the two positions I played fairly well were goalie in hockey and catcher in baseball and softball. Maybe I was training to walk later in heels without knowing it. :fine: HappyinHeels

Edited by HappyinHeels
omitted letters

43 minutes ago, HeeledSteve said:

Yes I can see what you mean but how do you get a happy medium so you don’t end up walking like a robot? I’m finding I can’t walk like I do in flat shoes or it looks and feels terrible. I imagine shorter steps and keeping your feet more in line with the centre of the body would be best?

I would imagine honest practice would get you there - your own natural gait adapting to wearing shoes with heels of a particular height and style. That is what women do. Because we associate heels with women we make the (rather illogical) leap to assuming their gait is somehow 'designed' for wearing heels. They have to learn too. Where it becomes easier is if you have strong and flexible feet and ankles and a good sense of balance - but that would be the same for either sex. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I would imagine honest practice would get you there - your own natural gait adapting to wearing shoes with heels of a particular height and style. That is what women do. Because we associate heels with women we make the (rather illogical) leap to assuming their gait is somehow 'designed' for wearing heels. They have to learn too. Where it becomes easier is if you have strong and flexible feet and ankles and a good sense of balance - but that would be the same for either sex. 

Well my ankles are definitely strong enough and very flexible, think I need more “heel time” . Last night it was good I’m a former gymnast or the displays would have been over, don’t know how I stayed upright!

• Like 1

Addicted to the click

2 minutes ago, HeeledSteve said:

Well my ankles are definitely strong enough and very flexible, think I need more “heel time” . Last night it was good I’m a former gymnast or the displays would have been over, don’t know how I stayed upright!

Well then, as a former gymnast you've got a huge head start. I used to do a lot of sabre fencing which I am sure has made a big difference to me. 

9 hours ago, HeeledSteve said:

Last couple of nights I’ve visited a couple of shops to get a few things. Last night I filled my car up with fuel and went in to pay. I was wearing my stiletto Chelsea style ankle boots. As I walked out on the very smooth tiled floor I came very close to a disastrous stiletto failure. My left foot suddenly skidded right out and I nearly fell. I managed to regain my balance just in time but it was a close call.

To be honest I’m capable of that in flat shoes, never done it in heels though, well done for shrugging it off though, the perfect reaction to an unfortunate incident from an experienced heeled,

I slide several times over the years. Polished floors + wet conditions lead to the slide. Wet leaves are also something to avoid. But I have not fallen when I slide, lucky.

However, two weeks ago my heel came down in a crack in the pavement and I went over. Only time I have fallen in heels.

8 hours ago, HeeledSteve said:

If your heel skidded sideways then you're not over your heels properly on left to right  direction. Normally skids are induced from too larger a stride and the angle of the heel in front taking weight too soon and a slick surface. A heel should never slip sideways - ever - unless you are turning a tight corner which can cause the inside foot to slide across the body.

There are 2 causes from my experience for sideways heel issues when walking

1. tiredness or operating at peak of flexibility leads to fast fatigue

2. the shoe design is not the best it could be

Walk one foot  in front of the other definitely ! Anyone in heels should walk the same. I lead with my hips, especially in my higher heels I use my hips as I walk. It  Never be in a hurry in high heels. Some women never learn to wear high heels well either. I should do a thing on how I wear stilettos because I am always complimented on how I can wear them for so long and how I can walk in heels - every day by women and men.

There are a lot of mis-truths out there that can be put right, and there are easy techniques, and posture that help a lot.

And the whole 'strut' thing is kind of a thing - and yes it can be turned on or off easily, but its not like everyone says it is - it is not a different walk .

Edited by nzfreestyler
  • Like 1

Just now, nzfreestyler said:

If your heel skidded sideways then you're not over your heels properly on left to right  direction. Normally skids are induced from too larger a stride and the angle of the heel in front taking weight too soon and a slick surface. A heel should never slip sideways - ever - unless you are turning a tight corner which can cause the inside foot to slide across the body.

There are 2 causes from my experience for sideways heel issues when walking

1. tiredness or operating at peak of flexibility leads to fast fatigue

2. the shoe design is not the best it could be

Walk one foot  in front of the other definitely ! Anyone in heels should walk the same. I lead with my hips, especially in my higher heels I use my hips as I walk. It  Never be in a hurry in high heels. Some women never learn to wear high heels well either. I should do a thing on how I wear stilettos because I am always complimented on how I can wear them for so long and how I can walk in heels - every day by women and men.

There are a lot of mis-truths out there that can be put right, and there are easy techniques, and posture that help a lot.

And the whole 'strut' thing is kind of a thing - and yes it can be turned on or off easily, but its not like everyone says it is - it is not a different walk .

Thanks that's very useful advice. I suspect that may be exactly what happened as I think I was walking with too big a stride and was also turning 90 degrees to go out of the door when it happened.

No slips tonight though during the  walk across town wearing my stilettos to where the car was parked.

Addicted to the click

FYI - when you turn - it should be pivot turns on your left toe.

Say you are turning right...

right foot forward, heel touches first, toes go down as your left foot is leaving the ground. As your left leg comes alongside the right leg and starts extending forward your weight is on your right foot, even between stiletto and toe, then you twist your body - pivot on your right foot (on the toe) say 20 degrees - and your left foot is still extending and sweep around a bit to come down heel first and on you go. You only pivot on the inside toe, so every second step is a pivot.

Opposite applies for turning right.

Oh - and its only really needed for tight turning. - and it enables tight turns at full speed without thinking once you are used to walking that way.

This way you can keep your gait steady and your style maximised. Only works in non-platforms - and better with a lightweight stiletto style heel. Another reason why I don't wear chunky or platform shoes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give that a go this weekend. Last night when we popped out I wore a wider heel so didn’t get any chance  for further practice. This weekend I might get the opportunity to wear a stiletto heel again, in which case I will try that technique.

Addicted to the click

HeeledSteve,

There are some websites such as heels.com which offer a short 5-10 second video when you click on each selection. Watching the model's technique can certainly give you an idea. I started practicing this some years ago and it definitely helps. Imagine walking in one direction then pivoting and walking back to your starting point. You can do this in virtually any space where heels can be worn. I practiced this because nearly all of my heels are 5"/12cm or higher and have at least some platform. HinH

Building Stiletto Confidence

Tonight I paid a quick visit into Starbucks, the first time on a tiled floor since my recent slip. I paid particular attention to what I as doing especially on the tiled areas. Managed ok and sat down to enjoy an americano for fifteen minutes before going back to the car and completing my commute. I'm not sure what the rest of the weekend will bring but hopefully further opportunities to get some heel time in.  I'm glad the heel s on the boots have survived the recent slip, they seem undamaged. 

I have noticed that because they are a chelsea boot design with the elasticated panel in the side they are not as secure and snug a fit which for a novice wearer of a stiletto heels is possibly not the best choice?. The more recent stiletto boots by Ecco that I bought are a snug but feel secure and comfortable when wearing them. They are 1/2" higher than the boots in the photos here so I have tended to wear  the lower heel but I'm actually wondering if the other, Ecco boots might be better for a novice?

1021611486_Starbucks14Dec2018.thumb.JPG.ae1b25a71e6761afa763dc20aed1e3d3.JPG1546016369_StarbucksDec142018.thumb.JPG.e1408e53ae760089d6f7b5c0828383ec.JPG

Edited by HeeledSteve
  • Like 3

Addicted to the click

I wear my Bandolino booties in a number of locations, including hard tile and polished concrete floors in a few stores.  I guess I am lucky as I have never had a slip incident.  And these have pretty hard heel tips as well, as they are quite loud on hard surfaces.  Fortunate that I don't slip as it could get ugly for this 67 year old man...lol.

image.thumb.png.990a775072c596d1f6e19b56011b6f3e.png

• Like 1

This weekend on Sunday we travelled to see some friends before Christmas. I chose to wear my black ankle boots with a 2” heel as these are comfortable to drive in. Additionally they don’t have a leather covered heel so aren’t damaged by the heel against the mat on the floor of the car.

we stopped for coffee at two motorway services along the way. Despite the heel noise I don’t think anyone noticed the heels. Or if they did I wasn’t aware of them. It was a good chance to just wear heels in everyday situations.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:33 AM, RonC said:

I wear my Bandolino booties in a number of locations, including hard tile and polished concrete floors in a few stores.  I guess I am lucky as I have never had a slip incident.  And these have pretty hard heel tips as well, as they are quite loud on hard surfaces.  Fortunate that I don't slip as it could get ugly for this 67 year old man...lol.

image.thumb.png.990a775072c596d1f6e19b56011b6f3e.png

Those are nice boots and I like the height and heel shape. I need to look out for some tan ankle boots.

• Like 2

Addicted to the click

Honestly I think all the talk about being noticed is by people who are either extremely self conscious, and certain the eyes of the world are watching them, or else want to be noticed and assure themselves they are the talk of the cafe/shop/town//whatever

To be truthful I don’t particularly want to be noticed. I’m a confident person but have never worn fashions that turn heads nor have I ever wanted to. I’m sure someone might see that my footwear is not what you would normally see men wearing. If they do see then that’s ok, I’m not trying to get noticed I just like wearing the footwear I wear and want to wear it when I want to. 

All I would hope is not to attract negative attention or ridicule as although I could ignore such narrow mindedness I do think it would diminish the enjoyment of wearing heels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Addicted to the click

3 hours ago, HeeledSteve said:

To be truthful I don’t particularly want to be noticed. I’m a confident person but have never worn fashions that turn heads nor have I ever wanted to. I’m sure someone might see that my footwear is not what you would normally see men wearing. If they do see then that’s ok, I’m not trying to get noticed I just like wearing the footwear I wear and want to wear it when I want to. 

All I would hope is not to attract negative attention or ridicule as although I could ignore such narrow mindedness I do think it would diminish the enjoyment of wearing heels.

Well said mate, that’s exactly the way it should be, always nice to get the odd compliment or two though 

• Like 1

It seems hard to go wrong with black ankle boots and a 2” heel, though I don’t know the exact style you are wearing.  The ankle “Chelsea” boot style is common on the men’s side.  In my many years of wearing boots with 2” heels every day I have only ever had one guy comment on their height, as I think it is a natural look, yet it gives a noticeably positive difference in feeling to the wearer.  I wonder if guys had easier access to 2” heels, that many others would also find it satisfying and use it as a baseline heel height.  

• Like 1