Ever been refused entry anywhere due to dress code

maninboots

I went to a restaurant belonging to a famous chain not far from me, i wore a black polo neck jumper, grey jeggings, and black 3" block heeled over the knee boots finished off with a short black leather jacket, i thought i looked really smart but was greeted by a very rude man who refused to let me in, when i questioned his decision he made the point that this was a family restaurant and my dress sence could be seen as offensive to some people, i wasn't in the mood to create a scene so I just left, this sort of reaction could affect a lot of people's confidence, thankfully I'm not the sort to be affected by this although I did find it frustrating and concerning that these attitudes still exist this day and age, i would welcome anybody's thoughts on this and if anyone has had a similar experience 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maninboots said:

greeted by a very rude man who refused to let me in, when i questioned his decision he made the point that this was a family restaurant and my dress sence could be seen as offensive to some people

I have never had anyone refuse to take my money no matter how I was dressed.  I have been to many family restaurants over the years, casually dresses except for a pair of thigh boots with 5" stilettos, and have never had an issue, in fact sometime they really didn't notice my boots.  I suspect you never want back to spend money there again.

:wavey:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

2 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I have never had anyone refuse to take my money no matter how I was dressed.  I have been to many family restaurants over the years, casually dresses except for a pair of thigh boots with 5" stilettos, and have never had an issue, in fact sometime they really didn't notice my boots.  I suspect you never want back to spend money there again.

No definitely not, if my custom isn't good enough for them then that's their loss, plenty more restaurants in town 

• Like 1

I got in trouble at work, had to leave the lab.  I didn't know they have a two inch limit in the labs and manufacturing areas.  I was wearing four inch block heel ankle boots that day.  Nobody said anything for six months then one day the safety guy noticed them.  I can wear heels if I am not going into those areas but some days I have to go there frequently.  That day I had rode in on a motorcycle in the rain so had a pair of wellies at my desk I put on and came back in.  I had a brief (horrible) job a few years back where the limit was actually one inch!  Motorcycle boots, cowboy boots, etc. were getting men in more trouble than the women did. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SkirtDude said:

I haven't...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4235920/Hairdresser-banned-pub-Big-Brother-audition.html

but this guy was. I would have been cold dressed like that in this weather :nono: 

Although never have worn a dress I know you have all seen my skirts and thigh high boots but I have never been told I can't come in. I have been everywhere from Home Depot, grocery store, fancy dinner establishments to bars and clubs and have always been accepted and have never had a bad comment from anyone working at the places I have gone.   I have always gotten nice compliments

• Like 2

Adam Murphy (guy in the silver dress and thigh boots) seems to have handled the situation well and got a public apology from the restaurant. 

For my taste, the silver dress is a little too short to be worn without leggins but that's me.  I suspect he knew the venue and the article says there were female guests wearing a lot less.

Seems that there is a lesson here for all of us on handling bad situations.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I know I surely would have left without a fuss also, really don't want to be someplace where I'm not welcome....

I suppose it still is a free country, and everyone is allowed to have their own views, but I can't see a restaurant turning away a customer because of the boots he was wearing....

Oh well, it is the restaurant's loss for sure....Your presence probably would have intrigued many patrons, perhaps they would have spent more money on food/drink as well...

• Like 1

I've been in "family" restaurants like Pizza Hut (back when they had eat in dining), Red Lobster and Olive Garden wearing miniskirts and thigh high boots and never had any trouble, never been refused service, even during busy periods in early to mid afternoon when places like those are crammed with people, including kids. I for one can't imagine any establishment turning away a paying customer, just because of his or her attire, to me, that's bad business.

• Like 2

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Maybe if I'd asked for the manager i may have been ok, he was just some jobs worth doorman who assumed i wouldn't be welcome, also if i had done a full female transformation i would have probably got in, he seemed to object to a male in female clothing but as i said I'm not one to make a fuss, 

To be frank, I'm not surprised that Adam Murphy was refused admission from what is presumably a family pub/restaurant (although I don't know the place).   Whilst simply wearing a woman's dress or thigh boots (together or separately) in such a venue is not in itself likely to offend, even when worn (as he alleged) as his 'normal' attire, rather than as a joke or for a stunt, his whole demeanour seems to me to be over-the-top and potentially both provocative and unsettling.  He and his companion cannot expect to be accepted with open arms in every establishment and it is not unreasonable for some to deny entry, although the means of doing so needs to be handled fairly and discreetly.

I'm sure JeffB is right when he says that he has never experienced a problem when similarly (if rather more conservatively) dressed.   But Jeff's invariably smart and restrained solo 'performance' is poles apart from Adam's.   And CAT, likewise, remains in his male persona.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know just what type of establishment Adam went to, but it is called a "pub".   To me, a pub is usually not a "family establishment", more for adults...But, I am not from the UK, so am not familiar with their customs. 

I think that Adam looks amazing, the combination of masculine and feminine is a look I wish I could achieve so nicely!  But, the skirt does look a bit short, so I can understand the management feeling that skirt might be a bit too revealing, especially on a man, if this place was a family restaurant. 

5 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Well, I don't know just what type of establishment Adam went to, but it is called a "pub".   To me, a pub is usually not a "family establishment", more for adults...But, I am not from the UK, so am not familiar with their customs. 

http://www.slugandlettuce.co.uk/slug-deansgate/gallery/

The place looks chic. While they surely host familly events, they also know about entertaining adults (bar, danse etc.) without shoking the youngest.

To me Adam's attire (on the picture) is too much provocative, even worn by a girl, for attending the bar before 23:00.

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

To be frank, I'm not surprised that Adam Murphy was refused admission from what is presumably a family pub/restaurant (although I don't know the place).   Whilst simply wearing a woman's dress or thigh boots (together or separately) in such a venue is not in itself likely to offend, even when worn (as he alleged) as his 'normal' attire, rather than as a joke or for a stunt, his whole demeanour seems to me to be over-the-top and potentially both provocative and unsettling.  He and his companion cannot expect to be accepted with open arms in every establishment and it is not unreasonable for some to deny entry, although the means of doing so needs to be handled fairly and discreetly.

I'm sure JeffB is right when he says that he has never experienced a problem when similarly (if rather more conservatively) dressed.   But Jeff's invariably smart and restrained solo 'performance' is poles apart from Adam's.   And CAT, likewise, remains in his male persona.

Well, I pretty much obsess over blending in rather than standing out like Adam had, thus my desire to dress tastefully for whatever surroundings I happen to be in. And that's why I've never been refused access to establishments like restaurants, even when noticeably attired in women's clothes and shoes.

• Like 2

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On 4-2-2017 at 8:50 PM, Shyheels said:

Try going into The Ritz for tea without a tie

Most dresscodes nowadays exist to separate the wheat from the chavs. To keep out the shorts, sandals and training suit brigades. Which I think is a good thing. A little class never hurt anyone. And you can look stylish too in female attire. I don't think any dress codes that require a tie however mentions anything about men and heels though. 

In the case of the OP I would like to have had a word with the restaurant manager though. Not to demand entry, because f*** them! But to complain to him or her about the rude behavior of his or her employees. There's a difference between telling somebody we're sorry, but we think your dress might give our customers offense. We deeply apologize and can give you directions to a restaurant that is more amenable to your style of dress. Do you need to call a taxi? No problem, we can do that if you would like. Again, our apologies. Vs. Piss off, you crossdressing wanker.

By the way, anyone seen the comments in that Daily Mail article? Not much love and understanding there.

I've never been refused entry to an establishment because I was wearing heels. One time, however, I was sort of refused entry into a high end dining establishment that required all men to be wearing a dinner jacket and tie. I had the tie, but no jacket, so rather than totally refuse me, they let me take one of their "loaner" jackets, so I could utilize my reservation and save me some embarrassment, since I was with a female companion. That was many many years ago, when many finer eating establishments required males to wear dinner jackets. I was not wearing heels back then, so it obviously had nothing to do with heels, however that was the closest I've ever come to not being allowed to enter an establishment due to my attire.

• Like 1

I had exactly the same experience many years ago at a restaurant in Rochester New York.  I had to borrow a jacket from a co-worker who had several with him.  This was way before I was heeling in public and since this was a business dinner I went along with the indignity.

• Like 2

I remember these dinner jacket/tie requirements when being taken out for dinner as a kid....Hated it as a kid, refuse to conform to anything like that now as well.  There is no correlation between an "upscale dress code" and the quality of food served. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 9:17 AM, pebblesf said:

I remember these dinner jacket/tie requirements when being taken out for dinner as a kid....Hated it as a kid, refuse to conform to anything like that now as well.  There is no correlation between an "upscale dress code" and the quality of food served. 

Agreed - - but the price is usually 'upscale' - - !!!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 9:17 AM, pebblesf said:

Yes, some of he best seafood I've had was at a place with picknic tables half sunk into the beach sand :)

no dress code, but not a good place for stilettos either.

• Like 2

(formerly known as "JimC")

1 hour ago, Rockpup said:

Yes, some of he best seafood I've had was at a place with picknic tables half sunk into the beach sand :)

no dress code, but not a good place for stilettos either.

Or any shoes/boots that would be affected by salt water.  You have finally described a venue where flip flops would be appropriate (I don't believe I just wrote that  :penitent:).

• Like 1