Does anyone think about this?

HeelsWearer

As you know I have been a high heel wearer my whole life. I have become quite adapt at moving across all types of terrain. But there is something I've unfortunately been thinking about. Many times before I get dressed to go out in public be it a mall, movie theater, airport, or restaurant I consider my shoes in a different light - especially if they have ankle straps and are hard to take off. It's a sad state of affairs, but with all of these mass shootings out there, I worry about having to get away by running, climbing, jumping to escape some crazed person. Would I have time to get my heels off especially with ankle straps? It's horrible to even give that consideration but the world is a rapidly changing place. I live in Florida, so the Ft. Lauderdale airport incident with people sprinting across the runways gave me a scare - being so close to home. Plus the Pulse Night Club in Orlando last year. I will admit that on Saturday I went out to dinner with all intention of wearing my 5 inch stiletto boots, but after the previous day's incident I decided to wear my slides which I can kick off in a second. Does anyone else ever consider this?

Sorry if this post is a downer.

• Like 6

HeelsWearer

You are fortunate. When you were (5) five years old you could have worn high heels-being the girl. Someone may have said " She is a little young for those",

but with high heels you can get away with all that. I had to over come all of the snickers, odd looks, quiet comments, etc. When I was still working I drove

(18) eighteen wheelers. For a time I drove trucks wearing high heels, 5"  minimum. So lets talk about being discovered doing that. Do not let a situation

like the Ft. Lauderdale shooting dictate how you are going to live your life. I went to England, Germany, Spain in 2016 and wore 7" stiletto heels with 1 3/4" plat

every day, airports and all. If I get shot, then I dye the high heel fanatic that I am.   P.S. How many people at the Ft. Lauderdale airport died wearing high heels?

spikesmike

• Like 2

Its a shame that so many innocent lives had to be lost from these attacks. The wave of fear that they cause is is the purpose of these terrorist attacks. The lasting effect that resonates through the communities is a shame but the true humanity of the majority helps people rise to the ocassion. Ie: The Boston Marathon bombings. People stood together and overcame. So my thoughts are to not let fear or anxiety rule your decisions on footwear. Life is too short...Wear the Heels...that make you feel good. You will overcome your apprehension. Regardless what you wear I am sure you will look fabulous!

• Like 1

It's a tough situation but consider your real odds of actually finding yourself in such a situation. Your odds of being hit by a bus are higher than being killed by a terrorist. 

In the case of ft.Lauderdale there was no terrorism. As mentioned above the real goal of terrorism is to strike fear  (terror) into the masses making the targeted society alter its normal ways.

Next time, wear your boots or ankle straps with confidence, otherwise you already lost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Next time, wear your boots or ankle straps with confidence, otherwise you already lost.

I am still careful about where I go wearing heels.  There are still some places I won't go, but thinking about it I probably wouldn't go there even if I wasn't wearing heels.  I don't think I'll bother considering if I will be in a mass shooting when it comes to deciding what my footwear I will be.  Jkrenzer said it correctly, "wear your boots or ankle straps with confidence" and it goes without saying never go out in shoes/boots in which you can't walk.   I still remember being out wearing thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels and having a $20 bill blow out of my hand.  I surprised myself how on well I could run in those heels. :penitent:

• Like 4

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

12 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

As you know I have been a high heel wearer my whole life. I have become quite adapt at moving across all types of terrain. But there is something I've unfortunately been thinking about. Many times before I get dressed to go out in public be it a mall, movie theater, airport, or restaurant I consider my shoes in a different light - especially if they have ankle straps and are hard to take off. It's a sad state of affairs, but with all of these mass shootings out there, I worry about having to get away by running, climbing, jumping to escape some crazed person. Would I have time to get my heels off especially with ankle straps? It's horrible to even give that consideration but the world is a rapidly changing place. I live in Florida, so the Ft. Lauderdale airport incident with people sprinting across the runways gave me a scare - being so close to home. Plus the Pulse Night Club in Orlando last year. I will admit that on Saturday I went out to dinner with all intention of wearing my 5 inch stiletto boots, but after the previous day's incident I decided to wear my slides which I can kick off in a second. Does anyone else ever consider this?

Sorry if this post is a downer.

Hi HeelsWearer,

I have not thought of it those terms, you have brought that to light for sure. But I have thought about vehicles coming at me in a crosswalk or a fire, even an issue with Earthquakes. But not regarding a shooting..new consideration. I recall when the Earthquake hit Christchurch a couple of years ago and one of the users here on HHPlace told of the scene where he had to escape through rubble and junk in heels to get to a safe area. But as much as these things are now everywhere, hard to prepare for every potential out there, before a person gives up and just goes ahead with life. Heels were not made for dramatic escapes but certainly food for thought, I wear boots most of the time, no getting out of those in a hurry.

Good thoughts!

Edited by mtnsofheels
spelling
  • Like 1

I am always aware of my surroundings, all the time.  Doesn't matter if I am in heels or not.  99.9% of the folks out there are really nice, it's the few fools that ya have to keep an eye out for.  Sad but very true.  Be safe, have fun....  sf

Edited by SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I live in the U.K., travel all the time, am in and out of airports constantly and in lots of curious places around the world. I do not give terrorism a thought. I am not travelling in heels, but if I were, or wanted to be, I would not let fear of terrorism or being caught up in some mass shooting interfere with what I wanted to do. Not in the least.

Anyway, you have a higher chance of being struck by lightning.

Live your life. There are no certainties about anything.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It was so close to home that it really jolted me. But I agree 100% that I have to live life to the fullest and do what I want to do. Anything could happen - lightning, fire, earthquake, hurricane, etc., etc.  But you all helped me put it in perspective and I'm wearing my stiletto boots to work today :happy:.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It was so close to home that it really jolted me. But I agree 100% that I have to live life to the fullest and do what I want to do. Anything could happen - lightning, fire, earthquake, hurricane, etc., etc.  But you all helped me put it in perspective and I'm wearing my stiletto boots to work today :happy:.

I can surely understand your concern when something so awful happens right in your back yard....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

Hey that's great to hear, life's too short. 
I also wore a pair of stiletto boots to work today. However I had the luxury of having my site boots to hand if the need arose. A foot in both camps so to speak. :fine:

IMG_2530.JPG

• Like 7

I wear heels traveling often and through airports, statistically those place might be more dangerous than others, but agains the odds are still tiny of a violent act occurring at any one airport at a particular time.

On 1/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, aristoc said:

Hey that's great to hear, life's too short. 
I also wore a pair of stiletto boots to work today. However I had the luxury of having my site boots to hand if the need arose. A foot in both camps so to speak. :fine:

Good heavens what an interesting image.  Try blocking out one of the boots with your hand and asking yourself to describe the wearer, then block out the other one and ask the same question.  The combination describes a very interesting/diverse person.  Typically when I think about contrast in an image I'm thinking photographically of the range between light and dark.  This image got me thinking about contrast in a whole different way.

I am avoiding my suggestion to wear boots over the pants leg.  There is already enough contrast in that image.:penitent:

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Tech
Do not quote the actual images themselves.
  • Like 5

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Nope - - Don't think about it. I've escaped the grim reaper many times, and none of them were terrorist/shootings/public catastrophy. I'm lucky to be alive although I wonder if escaping the ultimate fate leaves a mark on you the next time around. Don't worry about it. Enjoy what you can and disregard the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/01/2017 at 6:50 AM, Shyheels said:

I live in the U.K., travel all the time, am in and out of airports constantly and in lots of curious places around the world. I do not give terrorism a thought. I am not travelling in heels, but if I were, or wanted to be, I would not let fear of terrorism or being caught up in some mass shooting interfere with what I wanted to do. Not in the least.

Why not try traveling in heels, no better time to wear heels than when you're traveling, very little chance of bumping into someone you might not want to see you in heels 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 6:50 AM, Shyheels said:

I had heard of this statistic before until I just looked it up... and wow:

Your odds of being struck by lightning this year are 1 in 960,000. In your lifetime those odds drop to about 1 in 12,000. Your odds of being struck by lightning twice in your lifetime are 1 in 9 million, which is still a higher chance than winning the Powerball.

Source: Quora

9 hours ago, maninboots said:

Why not try traveling in heels, no better time to wear heels than when you're traveling, very little chance of bumping into someone you might not want to see you in heels 

I had thought about this, but every time I wear something above 3", I seem to have to go through another security checkpoint, and have to rush to my gate. Last trip I had 2 minutes to spare on one layover. Had I been in heels, I might not have made it.

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

In point of fact I travel a lot, and travel light, and often to rough environments. Hiking boots take up a lot of room in a suitcase. 

Try taking metatarsal work boots, hard hat, mill greens, and safety gear when traveling. Leaves little room for the fun stuff.