Heel tip question for the girls

spaceinvader

When you wear your thin heels down so that the plastic tip falls off, exposing the heel nail, do you: a- stop wearing them / throw them out b- stop wearing them until you can get them repaired c- wear them less until you get them repaired d- carry on wearing them regardless If you do get them repaired, do you replace the plastic tips or have steel tips fitted? If you don't bother repairing them, is there any reason? I'd love to hear your thoughts!! Spacey

I try always to buy shoes with metal tips. If I do have some plastic ones I have them replaced with metal, and always have them renewed before they wear down to the nail. If a tip falls off during the day and I don't have a spare pair with me, then I have to wear them until I get home or find a shoe repairer. Hope that helps a little. Anne Louise

I have been using steel tips for years because of the durability and I just LOVE the SOUND!! Ciao! Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Anyone else any views on this? I am observing many, many girls walking the streets that are not bothering to replace the heel tips, choosing to walk on purely the exposed heel nail forever. Personally, I think this is pretty fantastic. Anyone agree/disagree? Spacey

one of my colleagues at work always seems to wear heels like this. so far i have seen her with 2 pairs of stiletto courts and 3 pairs of stiletto boots with the nail exposed. my ex had some stilettos were the nail was exposed but she hated it because every time we went to the mall and she was wearing them, she would be slipping and sliding about everywhere on the smooth surface, she eventually threw them away to my horror! i personally quite like the look/sound of them too, so you're not alone spacey!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

That's really interesting, another like minded person! That must be brilliant, seeing a girl you work with wear nail heels all the time, how do you do any work?? Do you speak to her about her heels at all? Is she aware that the nails are exposed do you think? My girlfriend also wears stiletto heels with the nails exposed. She walks very lazily and grinds the plastic tips off in no time at all. She has never had a pair of heels repaired, she currently has 4 pairs of stiletto boots with the nails exposed. She wears them for months and months, irrespective of the damage to the heels or the damage she does to floors or whatever she walks on. 2 of her favourite pairs that she wears all the time, have had the nails exposed for well over a year now. She did say it was hard to walk on them at first because they were slippy, but says now she has mastered walking in them, she isn't bothered! I have pics if anyone wants to see them! Cheers Spacey

Hi Spacey! In answer to your first question, I don't get as much work done as I should do!! My colleague does talk about her heels quite a lot, as she has noticed that I have a somewhat passing interest in her shoes! She knows that the nails of her heels are exposed and she has no problem with that at all. She too has said that she finds them very slippery at times, particularly on mall floors and she said she has slipped over a few times because of it. All of her shoes happen to have very shiney slippery soles as well so I guess that just adds to it! Has your girlfriend ever slipped over whilst wearing her nail heels? Where was she and what shoes was she wearing?

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Hi Jay No my gf has not slipped over when wearing her nail heels, though she does fall over a lot anyway, but not because of her heels. She has slid forward unintentionally on tiled floors and in shopping centres all right, they seem to be the most slippy floors. Usually when she steps off the metal runway of the escalators and on to the polished floor she slides a bit, but overall she walks really well in them. She has no problem at all in walking in them, she has had so much practice! She once went for 10 consecutive days wearing stiletto heels with the nails exposed! She wears them to work, out at night, whatever. She has 2 pairs of boots with 3 inch stiletto heels, one pair of boots with 4 inch heels and a pair of stiletto shoes with 4 inch heels, all on nails at the moment. The 4 inch boots are really special - the material of the heel is the peeling type, and is peeled back up the heel - the nails are amazing on these boots, they are only 1.8mm diameter and protrude 4mm out from the base of the heel - she will literally punch holes in anything when she wears them. What sort of shoes does your colleague have? Does she do any damage with them or is she careful? Does she keep her shoes/boots clean or does she not bother? Have you discussed her nail heels at all? Keep in touch! Spacey

• 3 years later...

I get all the plastic tips replaced with steel, if not right away then fairly early on.

It's a bad idea to leave it too long because the base of the heel itself can get damaged.

I don't buy those kind of disposable shoes that one throws away so easily.

When you wear your thin heels down so that the plastic tip falls off, exposing the heel nail, do you:

a- stop wearing them / throw them out

b- stop wearing them until you can get them repaired

c- wear them less until you get them repaired

d- carry on wearing them regardless

If you do get them repaired, do you replace the plastic tips or have steel tips fitted? If you don't bother repairing them, is there any reason?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

Spacey

well.. of the three girls who live at my house im the only one who wears heels, (and its my house.. ) its a softwood floor eeek.. not my doing the previous owners.. so steel isnt much of an option. as for the tips.. when they get down to the point where the nail is exposed i repair them myself.. its easy and alot cheaper.. just requires patience

I always get mine repaired... we havea wood floor in the livingroom, and cheapy lino in the kitchen and bathroom- I went through the kitchen floor once in heels and I now have the fear of wearing heels in the house!

omg thats horrid!!!! at least i dont have that fear!! the worst i have to do is replace a pergo tile if i damage it to the point of dissaray.. of cource i get the bad luck of figuring out actually how to do that... the kitchen and bathrooms are ceramic tiling.. and below everything the foundation is cement. *hugs tightly, comforts*

It is our office tradition that everyone wear high heel boots to the office, especially in the winter. I’ve overheard that the janitors had hard time to take care the hardwood floor, and they have to spend more time and effort on them. Every once a while and they need to be refinished or even replaced. The heel dents are mainly concentrated on areas such as under our desks , photocopier machine and high traffic area like entrances and exits. The janitors suggested that to replace the hardwood floor by tiles, but none of us would agree that suggestion. First the janitors want to do less work and it is not going to happen. Secondly concrete, tiles and stone floor...etc. wear out our boot heels easier despite metal heels or not. I am sure none of us wants our boots got damaged. Lately they are putting carpets on certain areas as mentioned above, and a nice soft rug under our desk for each one of us.

Boot me up, Boot me down

To be fair, it was the landlord's fault- he didn't get the underlay done properly, we told him that, but he didn't listen... he also didn't get the edges sealed, so my boyfriend and I are going to have to do that at some point... we do too much work on this place though, i'd rather just move!

omg thats horrid!!!! at least i dont have that fear!! the worst i have to do is replace a pergo tile if i damage it to the point of dissaray.. of cource i get the bad luck of figuring out actually how to do that... the kitchen and bathrooms are ceramic tiling.. and below everything the foundation is cement. *hugs tightly, comforts*

If I am wearing them, and that happens at that time, I have just worn them the rest of the work day, date, trip, event, etc. I know it might be silly to do, and YES I also do it to designer and high-price heels, but if it happens to them I end up....throwing them in the back of my closet.....forgeting about them for a few years....and when I find them and see the broken tip.....throw them out. I know it's dumb to do with a pair of $100+ heels, but I am honestly just saying what ends up happening, ALTHOUGH it DOES happen LESS if ever to the really good heels I have compared to a cheaper pair I pick up for about $30-$40, you know? Oh yeah.....I have NEVER had a problem with a metal tipped heel so far, and all the issues were with the plastic tipped ones. I think I do well in preventing this from happening due to the fact that I wear heels so much for work and stuff and I unconciously am always looking ahead when walking in them.

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

Oh yeah.....I have NEVER had a problem with a metal tipped heel so far, and all the issues were with the plastic tipped ones. I think I do well in preventing this from happening due to the fact that I wear heels so much for work and stuff and I unconciously am always looking ahead when walking in them.

what do you mean looking ahead?

I just had the same situation. The so called hardwood floor of the duplex condo I rent in Montréal already covered with many dents. It turned out, the landlord used the poor grade hardwood floor and trying to blame it on me for wearing high heel boots at home. I found that its unacceptable and ready sue him but he back down and agreed to replace all of them in a month. Don’t mess with girls in high heel boots!

Boot me up, Boot me down