Hey, I like your boots/shoes...

Thighbootguy

59 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Let's hear it for TBG, the man in black!

Thanks JeffB.  Now I cant decide whether to dust of my Johnny Cash songs or get out to get out my Neural Neutralizer. :penitent:

Anyway here is a picture of the 60's style dress and my red OTK boots.  Suggestions of what would go with this dress are welcomed.

GEDC1500.jpg.3c0ae3cae9f33138c1b8a6394fa8ad0d.jpg

:wavey:

Duh... why didn't I think of this before?

GEDC1501.jpg.12aa881faa4945857576f8cbb8038840.jpg

Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

1 hour ago, Thighbootguy said:

With nothing better to do (retired), I decided to get dressed and go shopping.  I have a new black dress with a cowl neck I hadn't worn before and decided to give it a try.  This dress is a knit of 61% silk,17% nylon,14% angora rabbit fur, 5% polyester and 3% metallic.  It is a size medium which means it is a tight (and short) fit.  I added the belt for looks and to keep the dress stretched down to a decent length.  I paired it with black leggings and ankle boots but decided with a dress this nice I needed my best looking boots so I pulled on a pair of black OTK faux suede  with 4" stiletto heels and that (in my humble opinion) completed the outfit.  I added a gold bar necklace, took a deep breathe, and headed out the door.

GEDC1495.jpg.90a9b06c3dc5faeff786039f9949eeac.jpg

I thought this looked fancy enough to try adding gloves

GEDC1496.jpg.9592e8383f5759c870e7dc5145944dc9.jpg 

and maybe, with a wrap this would work, but not for the venues to which I was heading so I left the gloves at home.

I walked into my favorite thrift store and got some "Hi"s and appreciative nods and smiles from the folks at the register.  I wandered around and spotter a Keurig coffee maker for $8.  I have always wanted to try that system but have been unwilling to make the initial investment.  I also saw a pair of white jeans in a size 12 that I immediately thought would look good with OTK boots and especially the ones I was wearing.

I took my finds to the register and suggested that I thought the white jeans would look good with the boots I was wearing and got an "Oh yeah, that will work" and then she continued, "We're going to have to take fashion lessons from you.  You always look so good when you come in."  I thanked her for the complement and headed out to my car.

I also stopped at my least favorite thrift store and tried three pair of boots that alas were too small but I did find a white dress with black trim that looks like it is from the 60s and only needs a pair of go-go boots (mine have long since vanished) to complete the image, but I think it will work with my red OTH boots (pictures later).  The last stop was Kroger (grocery) for some frozen yogurt and some Keurig coffee.

When I got home I brewed a cup of coffee and I now understand why folks like it.  It is strong enough to make hair grow on the bottom of your feet, but it sure is good.

I pulled on the new jeans and my boots for a picture.

GEDC1497.jpg.070b3ae9395c7e91c0865fbce336cdb4.jpg

The jeans are tight enough to almost make @w6ish happy and there is some fancy stitching on the hip pockets

GEDC1499.jpg.c6b795bfb2ef29ceda4527b1f3ac8e9b.jpg

that would get me laughed off @mlroseplant's job site.:penitent:

All in all it was a fun outing.

great choice on the white jeans, the snug fit looks great, so do the boots....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I walked into my favorite thrift store and got some "Hi"s and appreciative nods and smiles from the folks at the register.  I wandered around and spotter a Keurig coffee maker for $8.  I have always wanted to try that system but have been unwilling to make the initial investment. 

When I got home I brewed a cup of coffee and I now understand why folks like it.  It is strong enough to make hair grow on the bottom of your feet, but it sure is good.

The expected hirsute development will be useful insulation inside your boots, Tbg.   Just remember not to go out in sandals. :-?   And NO pictures, please!

12 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I went to a community jam session last night wearing a turtleneck, jeans and black OTK boots with 4" block heels.

GEDC1351.jpg.22004b38811babc03885a3f537dda5a1.jpg These boots in black.

These folks see me in boots every month so no one even seemed to notice.  I did a sole open mike, standing in front of the group, and performed a set with several friends.  I had folks tell me they liked my music form the open mike, and they liked my cello (which wasn't that good but it was different).  Folks commented that they liked my guitar and at the end of the evening three fiddle players gathered around and I played cello (bluegrass gospel string quartet :penitent:), but no one said a word about my boots. Although it's nice to get a "nice boots" complement, it's also nice to go out and have the world (small world) accept you.

I had a great time.

A "sole" open mike? And you didn't play "soul" music? A lost opportunity! Tsk, tsk! :giggle:

Steve

4 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

A "sole" open mike? And you didn't play "soul" music? A lost opportunity! Tsk, tsk! :giggle:

Thanks Steve, I corrected the sole/solo typo.  "soul" music isn't really my style but I do pour my soul into it. :roll:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I had a gig this morning and taking @JeffB, "Man in black" comment to heart. I headed out with a black turtleneck, the new white jeans, and black OTK faux suede boots with 4" block heels. 

GEDC1502.jpg.62d9380ef23d249c07ce8cf25eefdccb.jpgHeading to the gig

The folks at this venue expect me to be wearing boots so it was no big deal, except for the "HI"s and "Hello"s, when I walked in.wearing boots with my flatbed two wheeler loaded with my amp and "music stuff".  I invited a banjo player (not a typo, I really did invite a banjo player) to sit in, and we had a good time with me playing rhythm guitar for his bluegrass stuff and he playing along with my non-bluegrass stuff.  We did agree that the difference between the bluegrass tunes was mostly their name.:penitent:

GEDC1504.jpg.bec82e9a0cafca2021eef33f8828e002.jpgMastertone and a Martin

The venue is a Pancake Breakfast at a church (hey, it's a gig) and the organist commented that she liked my boots and the minister echoed that they were very "balladeer" looking.  We played for about three hours then they fed us pancakes.

On the way home I stopped at a "fashion" store in a black neighborhood and as I was entering the store a young black lady, who had just come out, commented, "I really like your boots".  I thanked her and headed into the store.

Anyway, I had a fun outing and had some good pancakes.

Edited by Tech
VERY thin ice already, do NOT push the innappropriate images in CD/TV territory.
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2017 at 6:43 PM, Thighbootguy said:

I had a gig this morning and taking @JeffB, "Man in black" comment to heart. I headed out with a black turtleneck, the new white jeans, and black OTK faux suede boots with 4" block heels. 

GEDC1502.jpg.62d9380ef23d249c07ce8cf25eefdccb.jpgHeading to the gig

The folks at this venue expect me to be wearing boots so it was no big deal, except for the "HI"s and "Hello"s, when I walked in.wearing boots with my flatbed two wheeler loaded with my amp and "music stuff".  I invited a banjo player (not a typo, I really did invite a banjo player) to sit in, and we had a good time with me playing rhythm guitar for his bluegrass stuff and he playing along with my non-bluegrass stuff.  We did agree that the difference between the bluegrass tunes was mostly their name.:penitent:

GEDC1504.jpg.bec82e9a0cafca2021eef33f8828e002.jpgMastertone and a Martin

The venue is a Pancake Breakfast at a church (hey, it's a gig) and the organist commented that she liked my boots and the minister echoed that they were very "balladeer" looking.  We played for about three hours then they fed us pancakes.

On the way home I stopped at a "fashion" store in a black neighborhood and as I was entering the store a young black lady, who had just come out, commented, "I really like your boots".  I thanked her and headed into the store.

Anyway, I had a fun outing and had some good pancakes.

Hmmmmm - - - for me it looks like your channeling your hippie era - - - - - It fits the outfit, but I'm not sure it's you.

Then again, coming from a guy who's hair looks like Einstein half the time, and does Santa at Christmas - - - What do I know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heelster said:

Hmmmmm - - - for me it looks like your channeling your hippie era - - - - - It fits the outfit, but I'm not sure it's you.

Then again, coming from a guy who's hair looks like Einstein half the time, and does Santa at Christmas - - - What do I know.

Thanks for the comment. :beers:

I wore this outfit and the black hair to my favorite thrift store this afternoon.  When I walked in I noticed there was a new clerk on the register so I browsed around and found some stuff which I took up to the register with a clerk that knows me.  After ringing up my items she did a double take and said, "I didn't recognize you."  I said the black was new and she said, " I like it, I really do, it looks good". So the score is 1 - 1 - "I don' t know" (my vote).  I've said before you have to get used to the image you are presenting to be comfortable presenting it.  I have never had dark hair in my life and it took a while of seeing it in a mirror to get used to it.  A good friend suggested that the black boots and white pants were straight from the 60's.  I countered that I didn't remember boots that tall in the 60's and she said, "For the 60's, it should have been white boots and that she even had white go-go boots back then" ( a sight I would love to see).

Edited by Thighbootguy

I have often poster that the test you should pass before you go out is to like what you see in a full length mirror.  However before you should take that test you should be comfortable wearing what you want to present.  I think this comes from wearing what you want to present in private so you can get used to it.  In my case, I have thinning gray hair that has never been dark and it was a real surprise/shock to see myself in long black hair.  In my house there are several mirrors (hallway, above the mantle in the living room, bathroom) that I pass on a regular basis.  I tried wearing the dark hair for several hours around the house to become comfortable, if possible, to seeing this dark haired guy walking by.  I did surcome to the temptation to occasional stop and stare, and make adjustments, but for the most part it was just incidental glances as I walked by.

Another technique is to photograph yourself and evaluate your reaction to the pictures.  This led me to the observation that the black hair looked awful with a black turtleneck and better with a lighter color turtleneck.  I suggest this is a better technique that staring at yourself in a mirror for a long time because you well convince yourself that something looks better than a first reaction siting would convey.

@JeffBhas developed his eye to put together a look that allows him to venture out in public and not attract too much attention.  I suggest that he first had to become comfortable wearing a skirt before he dawned one and headed out the door. (Jeff your comments are welcomed.)  I'm not that wise as I have gone out wearing something new in order to see if I liked it.  I'm learning better than to do that.

5 minutes ago, Henri1942 said:

Well I'm not into Boots

That's a shame, they would look good with that outfit.  However the pumps look great.

I just had an experience that made up for all the times I've been out and nobody noticed.

I was out shopping at my usual haunts wearing my taupe OTK boots with 4" block heels with a matching sweater and didn't raise so much as an eyebrow anywhere. 

GEDC1526.jpg.8834a9666ecabe1871146fa14e9c2f30.jpg

My last stop was a Staples office supply store for an HP ink cartridge (caution: buy these on line).  When I got to the counter the sales lady (late 40s, black) rang up my item then noticed my boots.  I thought she was going to climb over the counter.   "OOOH look at those boots... I really like them...and they come up over your knee... get a skirt and go down town!"  (She really did say that as she was dancing behind the counter.)  Then she called another clerk over,  "Look at those boots, I want a pair.  Where did you get them?"

I told her they came from ShoeShow, and she wrote it down and they were about $30.  "No way, are you kidding?  I'm gonna get me a pair."

I told her I had four pair.

Like I said, one real boot enthusiast can make up for a whole lot of "nobody noticed" .

I think I'll go back to that store.:beers:

• Like 4

On 3/29/2017 at 5:19 PM, Henri1942 said:

T B G bought some nice RED Boots.  Well I'm not into Boots, but I did buy some nice RED Pumps.  

Picture taken at Hilton in Freeport Maine last night.

IMG_0085 (1).JPG

Great look Henri!  Nice classic pumps, and that skirt is really cute!  Looks good on you!

Meeting you, dressed as you are in the first picture, on a dark street at night, would cause me to cross the street to give you a lot of room in which to navigate! :cheeky:

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

TBG: Nice dress there. red suits you. I think you should wear that color more.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

13 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

Meeting you, dressed as you are in the first picture, on a dark street at night, would cause me to cross the street to give you a lot of room in which to navigate! :cheeky:

Point well taken.  Being 6'4" in those heels probably wouldn't improve the image on a dark stormy night either.  I do think the gust of wind at my back just before the camera took the picture didn't help my hair either.  However, I didn't get that reaction from folks I encountered.  Some of those folks know me well and always give me a friendly reaction, but the total strangers either ignored me or gave me a smile.  I will take your observation to heart.  I'm still trying to get used to the dark hair.

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

TBG: Nice dress there. red suits you. I think you should wear that color more.

Thanks, red is quite a departure for a guy that thought his best/only color was black.  I now have three red knit dresses that all came from my favorite thrift store.

• 4 weeks later...

TBG,

I just returned from Mexico City last night and have been catching up and have seen your transformation in more then one sense. As Steve63130 will attest I now have long hair about the same as you blond wig above. I like you better WITH longer hair than nearly bald. The outfit in front of the artwork and the white turtleneck are my favourite look I see on you. I do think the blond wig looks better for some reason. I know your a boot icon here but If only you had some nice wedges with the salmon top and the shorts that would make a great look for you. I see you keep your legs smooth as  I do. Great job all the way through!  HappyinHeels

I played a gig last night at a Restaurant in Clifton Oh. (University of Cincinnati part of town).  I wore a black turtleneck, white jeans, and black OTK boots with a 4" block heel.

As we were hauling equipment in I got an "Ooh I like your boots" from a total stranger.  I thanked her and kept going hauling the PA system.  We got there at 6:00 and set up and started playing from 7:00-9:00 where we packed all the stuff up and headed back to out cars.  On the way out I got an "I like your shoes" from an young lady.  Again I thanked her and continued hauling stuff.  For the most part I was standing from 6:00-9:00.  The boots are "It's Ok" Maura in a size 12 and were surprisingly comfortable.

590b4fe4d1790_STS-at-Lydias---5-3-17.jpg.9e505020ffb74269a4531f7d01481fcd.jpg

In seeing the picture I am surprised at the contrast I presented to the rest of the group (the white jeans have a lot to do with that) and the additional 4" of height.  The only problem was that there are holes in the floor under the carpet that are large enough to swallow a heel.  Many in the audience were friends that have seen me in boots for years so no one was surprised.

All in all I had a great time.

For any audio folks - We used three condenser microphones with a BOSE PA in front of us, and did not plug in the acoustic guitars.  Note the tilt of the mike on the right.  It was intentional to balance the vocal and guitar.   This is the first time we have tried this and it worked well.  The real trick will be to do a show with only one mike and control the balance by moving in and out but there was too much room noise to have the mikes that sensitive.

@jeremy1986 and @Gudulitooo - Thanks for the comments on the hair.  I don't wear it all the time but it is getting easier.

@HappyinHeels - Thanks for the comment.  I'm not sure what your seeing is a transformation, rather than an evolution.  I seem to have the same problem with wedges that I do with pumps, I flunk the full length mirror test.  You know what they say about beauty and the eye of the beholder.  I'm not suggesting that beauty is involved, but the principal is the same.  As for the smooth legs, it is a natural feature.  I don't do anything to them.

• Like 2

Looking good.

From experience, short shorts with boots will yield a lot more double (triple) takes. In the summer, if it rains on a warm day I will wear calf high boots and shorts with a Hawaiian shirt.  Those are the days my coworkers will tease me, mostly because its a look they wish they could pull off themselves.

Wish I could find OTK boots to go with my shorts.

Edited by Cali

A few months ago, I went to a local department store to buy some pantyhose.  Found what I needed and walked to a service center to check out.  One the way a sales person told me the pantyhose would look good on me.  I asked why.  She remarked that I was already wearing stockings and these would look good.  I said thanks and proceeded to the service center.  That's when she noticed I was wearing heels.  "Oh my God I didn't notice the heels."  She worked in hosery department and was paying attention to what she was selling and never noticed the heels.  

Henri

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 11:03 AM, Henri1942 said:

She worked in hosery department and was paying attention to what she was selling and never noticed the heels.  

Ah... A specialist.  Some times people only see what they are looking for.

I needed to run a few errands and temperature is starting to flirt with warm 86F (30C) so I thought this was as good a time as any to see how my faux suede OTK boots with 4" block heels would do.  The humidity is still in the mid 40% range so this is still a comfortable (for me) temperature.  In a day or two I am expecting the same temperature but much higher humidity and I'll have to see how they feel then.

I went out wearing hose, boots, shorts, and a short sleeved top.

GEDC1850.jpg.058b097e1e7125ea0e709223c281e2ff.jpg

I'm not about to try this with my leather thigh boots but these fabric boots are quite comfortable.  Admittedly, I wasn't doing a lot of activity, but so far so good.  I may go with boots and shorts if I don't feel like wearing a shirt.

My first stop was my favorite thrift store.  I was looking around when I heard, "Wow, you look nice today." from across the store.  My favorite clerk had seen me and it was her way of saying "Hi".

I told her, "These are the shorts you picked out."

The next stop was Krogers (grocery) and I got a nice smile from a lady.  I took it as an approving smile.

The last stop was my insurance agency.  The lady at the front desk and I had a nice conversation about boots.

• Like 1

I had some running around to do this morning and the temperature was 80F (27C) so I went out wearing a green short sleeved top, a blue scarf, a short denim skirt, hose, ans OTK faux suede boots with 4" block heels.  It was thinking about raining but I long ago discovered that I wasn't going to melt so I didn't take any rain gear.

GEDC1852.jpg.b2be37d012197c83da3e46c2129d9918.jpg

The first stop was the County Clerks office to pay vehicle taxes.  I stood in line for a while and finally got to a clerk.  The transaction only took two minutes and when we were done she called me by my first name (male name) and said, "Is that you?"

I took the question as a complement and said, "Yep, that me".  I got a big smile and was wished a very good day.

The next stop was to pay my water bill.  Before you ask, I could do all this stuff on line or by mail... but whats the fun of that.  I see this as a good excuse to get dressed and go out.  Anyway, The bill paying was uneventful except that I got called, "Hon".  That seems to be the universal salutation for a guy in a skirt.

I stopped at my favorite thrift store and none of the clerks that knew me were on duty.  The gal that was on duty just took me in stride.

The last stop was Sams.  This was also uneventful.  I did get my favorite register clerk and mentioned that I had to remember not to sit down in a skirt this short.

She replied, "Or bend over."  We had a good laugh and I headed out to my car and loaded my stuff into the trunk, without bending over. :penitent:

• Like 4

I went to a gig this morning wearing a black top, white denim pants and black faux suede OTK boots with 4" block heels. 

GEDC1855.jpg.cfc2927e1813a94cc40c49aa3824c7e4.jpg

This is the monthly pancake breakfast and it is the last one of the season.  I've been playing at these breakfasts for several years and I always wear boots so they are quite used to seeing me wearing them.  I played for a couple of hours and as I was packing up an middle aged black lady came in and said, "Oh I love those boots".  I didn't recognize her as having been there before. After she said that, two if the ladies running the breakfast (white, 70s) spoke up and said, "I do too".  This was the first time any of the they had said anything.  I think they have just been polite and not knowing if their comments would be welcomed.  I made a todo of thanking everyone.

GEDC1856.jpg.4ef524683c834c544934cab48dd2ed35.jpg

Anyway, I had a fun morning, and the pancakes were excellent.

• Like 2

Like the outfit and boots, but honestly the wigs look out of place. You present so much better in your heels when you don't go with the wigs. They simply look as if you're trying to hide your age.

5 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Like the outfit and boots, but honestly the wigs look out of place. You present so much better in your heels when you don't go with the wigs. They simply look as if you're trying to hide your age.

I've changed the picture since your post, but I suspect your comment will be the same.  I'm not sure I'm trying to hide my age, rather I'm having fun having hair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I've changed the picture since your post, but I suspect your comment will be the same.  I'm not sure I'm trying to hide my age, rather I'm having fun having hair.

I like this red wig a little less. you look great in your 'dirty blonde' one!