Hey, I like your boots/shoes...

Thighbootguy

Every once in a while someone will offer a complement about something we are wearing.  For me, it's generally, "Hey I like your boots" but occasionally I get a complement on my whole outfit.  I thought it would be interesting to collect the complements we have gotten into one thread, in addition to the posts in other topical threads (duplication is encouraged).  Pictures of the complemented item are also encouraged.

Let me start with an unexpected remark I received this morning.  I was playing music for a pancake breakfast at a friend's church (any gig in a storm).  I was there as "The Musician" so I could get away with wearing almost anything.  This morning I wore jean print leggings, A Hudson Bay knit turtleneck, and "Its Ok" Mobile boots that have a 3" wedge heel and tasseled fringe. 

GEDC1204.jpg

I had played for about an hour and a half and took a break for some pancakes when a guy in his low 80's commented, "I really like your boots".

I was really taken aback by this old guy (old, as compared even to me). I replied, "Thanks, there outrageous aren't they".

He said, "Yeah, but I really like them."

Ok folks, let's hear some of your stories.

• Like 5

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Yesterday I met with the new marketing director at the retirement community we live in so I could give her the newspaper announcement of her being hired here. She had not seen it. After I gave it to her, I complimented her on her round-toe pumps with a stacked heel and I showed her the Naturalizer "Brenna" booties (3" heels) that I had on. She said, "Oh, I really like those! I want to get a pair like that for myself!" I had no idea she was so accepting of guys in heels, so this was a real ice breaker. These booties are on sale now - I hope she buys a pair for herself! We chatted for just a minute more and I needed to leave. I didn't want to keep her tied up and wear out my welcome. We'll have lots more opportunities to talk in the future, I'm sure.

Steve

Naturalizer Brenna black  2.JPG

Edited by Steve63130
  • Like 4

This is a great topic....Promise to take more pics soon, just got a lighter pair of levis that I think will show my boot better. 

In any event, one of the few compliments I have ever received, was from a guy in the hotel elevator.  Yes, he seemed a little tipsy, but that just loosened up the usual inhibitions.  He looked at my boots and said:  "nice kicks!"  I politely thanked him. 

The other comment I received was from the check out lady at the thrift store.  I handed her the boots I was purchasing, she smiled and said:  "I think these will look great on you".  I replied:  "I think so too".  Now, I don't know if she was just kidding around with me, but I left no doubt that the boots were for me. 

I have never heard any negative comments, even though I'm sure there has been plenty.  The only other negative reaction I recall is some young girls giggling behind me on the escalator. 

• Like 1

I was at our weekly meeting of the Queen City Balladeers and a black guy I had never seen before (unfortunately there aren't enough black folks in the Balladeers which is mostly comprised of old white guys with flannel shirts and pony tails) commented, in passing, "I like your boots".  I thanked him and we went in different directions.  I was wearing "It's Ok" Leslie boots in black over jeans.

GEDC1042.jpg

• Like 3

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

It was cold enough today that I wore my "It's Ok" Leslie boots with a mid calf length skirt.  This is the longest skirt I own and I don't recall having worn it out and about before.  Anyway, I stopped in my favorite thrift store and was enthusiastically greeted with waves and hellos from the ladies on the staff.   One of the ladies was off duty and was making a purchase when I came up to the counter.  She looked me over and said, "Nice skirt".  The comment was totally unexpected and I flummoxed a bit before I got out a thank you.

GEDC1214.jpg

• Like 3

@CAT, the skirt was long but it was @JeffB inspired (and the temperature being in the 20sF was also an influence).   Although I love gloves, I'm not quite happy with the look I got with that outfit, except that the black pair looked worse.

Last night I was with a group of about 30 people that played and sang Christmas carols at a homeless shelter in Cincinnati.  I took my guitar and cello and also took a spare guitar in case one of the folks at the shelter wanted to play along.  One guy did but he only knew one chord, "almost a D", which he played with enthusiasm for three songs...unfortunately the songs were in the key of "C" (this was a train wreck but 30 people singing mostly drowned him out).

GEDC1046.jpg

But to the topic... When I walked in wearing jeans and "It's Ok" Leslie gray OTK boots, one of the folks running the shelter made a bee line to me and asked, "Where did you get your boots, there great".

I told him about Shoe Show being both on-line and brick and mortar.

He said that he had a pair only the heels were higher, and I told him that had I left my higher heels at home for this event.   He smiled, having found a kindred spirit.

The caroling started and I didn't have a further chance to talk with him.  

• Like 3

I was shopping in Sam's wearing jeans and a pair if shiny stretch OTK boots with 4" heels when a lady, about my age, said, "I really like your boots... there tough."  I hadn't heard that term for a lot of years.  I thanked her and then she noticed the heels and said, "How do you walk in those, I'd be falling all over the place".

"Well I practice a lot.  I wear them all the time."

About 20 minuted later we passed each other again and she smiled and said, "Well I see you ain't fall'd of them yet".

GEDC1223.jpg

Yesterday (Dec. 25, 2016) the temperatures around Cincinnati Oh. were in the mid 30'sF (1C), but today it was almost 70F (21C).  It add more challenge to wardrobe planning.

• Like 7

Well, I'd say you did okay with the outfit you put together. Getting compliments is quite the rush, and, maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a look of wonder in the eyes of women when they ask how we can walk in heels, as if that's a skill that only they can master. I find that mildly amusing.

• Like 5

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I had to go to my bank and see the manager and complete a transaction.  I wore my new OTK taupe boots with 4" block heel over jeans.

GEDC1349.jpg To quote the current Lending Tree commercial "This is what I wear when I go banking".

The manager remembered me as the last time I was there I wore a skirt and boots.:penitent:  Anyway, after the bank I went to the post office and then my favorite thrift store.  When I walked in one of the ladies called out, "Oh, I like your boots!"  I called back a thank you.  While I was there I spotted a long suede skirt in a size 10 for $3.  My first thought was I don't need another leather skirt.  My second thought was I can't wear a 10, but for $3 I tried it on and to my surprise it fit.

GEDC1350.jpg  The color works with these boots, but I think my black pair will be better.

Planning what to wear with global warming is a challenge.  Yesterday was in the 30's F and boots over jeans was really comfortable. Today it's in the mid 60 F and boots and jeans are noticeably warm.  The temperature is expected to vary this much, almost daily, over the next week.  I'm still looking for the cooler weather as I ordered two more pair of these boots in red and gray and I'm expecting delivery today.

:wavey:

• Like 2

I wore my new gray OTK boots to a monthly pancake breakfast where I provide music (hey, its a gig... no pay, but I get a good breakfast).  I got a lot of nice comments about the music and a little girl (elementary school escapee) sheepishly said, I like your boots".  For the most part I think folks just figure "He a musician" and don't care what I wear.

DSC_0519.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the movies this afternoon wearing my taupe OTK boots with 4" block heels.  The lobby was empty to the point that I had to go hunting for someone to sell me a ticket.  I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and I highly recommend it.  On the way home I stopped in my favorite thrift store and got a "nice boots" from one of the sales ladies and she also said, "I really like your hat".  I gave her a big Thank You as I paid for a couple of hard back books.

GEDC1377.jpg.f27f52250e4eed3847eb0138514a69c2.jpg

Edited by Thighbootguy
  • Like 1

I have been out for two days now in full CD mode. 

Yesterday I wore a short gray knit cowl neck dress with black leggings and gray OTK suede boots with 4" block heels and a black bead necklace.  I dressed up to go to the movies and saw Assassins Creed.  The ticket was only $3 but it was a waste of money.  The  best part was going to the theater in a dress and boots.  After the movie, I stopped in my favorite thrift store and got a lot of Ohhs and Ahhs over my outfit.  One customer went so far as to tell me I looked beautiful.  She went on to tell me she was a musician and wore thigh and chap boots when she performed.  I wasn't interested in pursuing the conversation much further, but the complement was nice.  While I was there I found an Ann Taylor gray straight line below the knee length skirt with a tasteful slit in the front.  I also mad a quick run through Sam's.

Today I went for a blood test wearing the Ann Taylor skirt, hose, gray suede OTK boots with 4" block heels, a short sleeved satin blouse (blood test), a blue/gray scarf, and a brass necklace and makeup.  I had to park in a distant parking lot and had a good walk to the entrance of the hospital during which it started to lightly rain.  As a guy I don't normally use an umbrella (I figure I won't melt), but dressed as I was, I used a small umbrella, which the wind turned inside out a couple of times.  In the hospital I went across the lobby to the registration desk and told the lady I was there for a blood test.  I gave her my name and she looked at me and said, "You did say John?"   I thought I looked pretty good, but I didn't think I looked that good.  After registration I walked over to the outpatient area and sat waiting for my time to be tested.

A young female lab tech came out and called "John" and had a look of surprise on her face when I stood up and walked over to her.  Normally the test is walk in, get poked, walk out, but this time the tech went out of her way to talk about the warm weather and how not having a cold winter prevented the allergens from being killed off.  She also commented that my outfit looked good.  I walked back out to my car fighting the inverting umbrella all the way.  I did get a couple of nice smiles from passing women.

While I was out and dressed I figured that @CAT shouldn't have all the fun and decided to go shopping.

First I went to my favorite thrift store and got Hellos form the ladies at the front counter.  While I was out the temperature had started to drop and it was raining so I looked at the coats and I found a London Fog blue/gray trench coat with the lining for $4.  I also found a brown leather skirt with a perforated pattern for $2.  I don't need another leather skirt but...  Anyway when I brought my stuff up to the counter one of the ladies said, "Oh I didn't see this  (the skirt) back there, and he wears my size".  The conversation went on to their really liking my boots and one of the ladies saying that she had three closets full of clothes in my size and joked (I think) that we should have a dress up party.  (I may ask if she was serious some time later :penitent:).  I wore the London Fog coat out of the store.

GEDC1393.jpg.68da6ae95404e8cbc18cff871c426e06.jpg

My next stop was a Sam's that I normally don't go to because they had an item my local store didn't carry.  I took my time and wandered around a good bit.  I'm not sure if people were reading me as a female with really bad hair, or a guy in a skirt and boots, but either way, no one paid any attention to me.  I was just another customer.

After Sam's I wandered through a Target and wound up at a Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.  Don't go into a store like this when you have been fasting for a blood test.

Anyway I have been having a grand time in this mode.

Addendum:

I put on the new brown leather skirt and a black leather jacket and black OTK boots with 4" block heels and went to the movies ans saw "Passengers" and I highly recommend it.

Edited by Thighbootguy
  • Like 3

I was literally waiting for some paint to dry and thought I'd give my new boots a spin by going to my favorite thrift store.  I wore the boots with white hose to show off the lacing and a 15" denim skirt. 

GEDC1413.jpg.cf26188daf2c8310a23a660172baefb1.jpg

When I walked in the lady at the counter had a line of twenty people and only managed a quick nod my way.  I took my time browsing (waiting for the line to diminish) when a lady in her 50's, who was a total stranger walked by and said, "OOh, I like your boots".

"Thanks, I just got them".

"There really nice, I like them" and she kept on shopping.

I checked the lime again and decided to look at the skirt rack where I found a gray below the knee skirt that matched my gray OTK boots and a light gold leather skirt that I thought was outrageous enough for my new boots. 

GEDC1414.jpg.c9e2acbf2e4b5ba7613334bcf0cf5065.jpg

I left the store with two skirts and a bunch of kitchen toys and only $8 poorer.  By the time I got home the paint was dry.

• Like 3

I visited my doctor today to review my blood test.  I'm doing fine.  I have always worn boots on these visits, in fact there was only one visit where I wore flats because of my pooky ankle.  With that exception, I don't think he has ever seen my not wearing thigh boots.  On my last visit I told him I liked cross dressing and he asked me how far I went with it so this time I wore  gray below the knee skirt with taupe OTK boots with 4" block heels and  taupe turtleneck with a short leather jacket.

GEDC1428.jpg.9bf1e85ad5d075bc7f76df1f4dba5285.jpg

The waiting room was full and several folks nodded a greeting but I didn't notice even one askance look.  The nurse called me and we headed back to the exam room and got weighed along the way (down 10 pounds [4.5K] and a size 12 fits nicely).  While she was taking my blood pressure she said, "I'd just love to see your boot collection".  We talked about boots and shoes for a minute (like she does this with every patient).  I told her that I had told the doctor I dressed this way and this time I thought I'd show him.  That got a laugh.

The doctor came in and didn't miss a beat.  We went over my test results, checked my ankle and shoulder and pronounced me fit.  He asked if I had any problems with depression and I said, "Seriously, yeah I do...Trump".  He just shook his head and laughed.

I then told him that I was concerned that some days the desire to dress as I am is almost overwhelming and other days the desire isn't there at all.  He asked if I was happy/content dressing and I said I was.  After a little discussion his bottom line was that I was happy and not having religious or moral reservations, and no one stoned me (his exact words) he say no reason I shouldn't continue.  He didn't offer an opinion of why the desire comes and goes.

The doctor ordered one more blood test which I could have taken at his office, but it was more fun to run over to the hospital for the test.  Again I had a long walk in.  After registering I headed to the outpatient area where I was immediately recognized and warmly greeted.  The same lab tech took me back for the test but this time a nurse tagged along and she made a point of admiring my boots.   The three of us chatted and had a good time before I walked back to my car.

There is a DSW shoe store near the hospital and I stopped in but couldn't find anything in a 12 and I wasn't interested in any of the 11s.  There was a pair of beautiful ALDO OTK boots but only in a 6,7 & 8.

The next stop was my favorite thrift store where I found a nice knee length black flared skirt for $2 and a brown/gray silk Bergdorf Goodman skort in a 14 with the $165 new price tag still attached also for $2.  The skort is missized and is probably an 8/10 but I know a friend that can wear it.  I'm looking for clothing that is a little less @CATish that I can wear anywhere (nothing wrong with the style but I already have lots of stuff that pushes my boundaries/limits).

The last stop was Home Depot for some paint stripper.  A sales associate took me to the shelf and recommended one.  On the way to the register a different sales associated asked me if I needed help finding anything (first time that has happened) and at the register the young lady running the register commented that she really liked my boots.

On the way home, I stopped on the side of the road several times and got out with my camera on a tripod and took some "B" roll footage of several streams.  That invites passing comments but, I got none.

All in all it was a fun outing and I really am feeling more comfortable in a skirt.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

There is a DSW shoe store near the hospital and I stopped in but couldn't find anything in a 12 and I wasn't interested in any of the 11s.  There was a pair of beautiful ALDO OTK boots but only in a 6,7 & 8.

North or south side of the river.

2 hours ago, Heelster said:

North or south side of the river.

South, DSW in Crestview Hills

I didn't really go in to buy something, rather it was just a place to go while I was out.  I REALLY don't need another pair of boots.:penitent:

I have a thought on taking care when we speak.  I try to be articulate and clear on my meanings but...

In my last post I mention that I stopped at Home Depot for some paint stripper.  I used the stripper today on a book shelf and the following phrases kept going through my mind:

•  This is the best ten dollar stripper I ever saw.
  •  The stripper sure did take it off fast.
  •  Getting the stripper into a corner was tough.
  •  Working the stripper into the ogee was fun (without letting the slightest hint of an "r" get into ogee).
  •  I just spent three hours stripping.
  •  It was difficult stripping in a tight space.

I have never liked the term "stripper boots" but these phrases become particularly "interesting" when you yourself are wearing tight fitting thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels. :penitent:

• Like 4

Today was a day for getting dressed up and going out and about.  Last night I wore my black OTK faux suede boots with 4" block heels to a big jam session.  I left my guitar at home and took my cello and had a grand time.  There are accessories for a cello that will keep the ground peg from scooting around when you are playing.  Not having one of those accessories, I hold the cello in place with my legs on either side of the instrument, which looks good considering I'm wearing OTK heeled boots.  Anyway I enjoyed those boots so much last night I decided to wear them again today but this time with hose, a short black knit dress with a cowl neck and a black leather jacket.  I added a wide black belt and some makeup.  Today's style was much less CD and more @JeffB, but I really enjoy wearing eye makeup.

GEDC1438.jpg.419723d06acb08e26f7e51cd752a51db.jpg

The first stop was a Sam's in Cincinnati.  I took my time wandering through the store and other than a few polite smiles I was ignored.  I did notice that when I got to the register an extra lady clerk came over to "help" the lady running the register.  After Sams went to a Fresh Thyme Organic market just to wander around.  Several miles down the road is a large shopping complex.  I parked and went into a Shoe Carnival then walked about a block to a Nordstrom Rack and went in to look at shoes.  They had a very nice selection in 11, 12 and 13s.  I did not try anything on because even at sale prices I can't afford to even be tempted (and I really don't need any more boots).  I walked back to my car and drove over to Kentucky.  I stopped in another large shopping plaza and headed for a Famous Footwear where I browsed around.  I was treated to a little rug rat pointing out to his mother that, "That guys wearing a skirt".   I then walked over to a Kroger Super Store and bought a couple of things.

My final stop was a thrift store in Newport.  As soon as I walked in one of the lady customers said, "Oh, I really like those boots!"  She went on to say that I looked nice but went back to "I really do like those boots!"  I thanked her for the complement  and went on looking around.

After this much running around it was time to head home and "cool my heels". :penitent:

Edited by Thighbootguy
  • Like 1

The first thing this morning I asked myself, "What do you feel like wearing?" and the answer came back hose and a black leather skirt.  After that decision was made I decided it wasn't worth having boots I wouldn't wear so I opened the box of  my red faux suede OTK boots with 4" block heels .  These boots are a size 12 with an almond shaped toe that is just a tad too small so I added a ½" piece of styrene in the heel area which held my foot up just enough to be comfortable.  I added a white top and a black bead necklace.  Since I was going shopping I added my red leather jacket.  The mirror verified this was a lot of red and a bit more daring than I normally wear but I was going to placed that knew me so I thought why not.  I have posted that I sometimes forget what I am wearing but with every step my eye caught site of the red boots so I was constantly reminded.  I topped things off with some black eyelashes and red lipstick.  I normally wear a lipstick that matched my natural lip color just for lip protection (it's more fun than Chapstick) but today I went for bright red.

GEDC1449.jpg.963884d688ab4467cbbf37127807b4b6.jpg

I headed for my favorite thrift store and, to my surprise, I had no hesitancy getting out of the car and walking across the parking lot.  I got my usual Hellos when I walked in and a couple of smiles.  As I was browsing I found a bright red skirt and asked one of the workers who had never seen me before if this was too much red.  She smiled and said, "That would go nice with the boots...go for it".  I tried the skirt on but alas it was too small.  In the shoe area another customer said, "Oh I haven't seen you for a while.  I really like those boots."  We chatted about some of the boots on the rack than headed off in different directions.

The next stop was Sam's.  I wandered about getting my stuff and just took my time.  At the register one of the managers who knows me well came over and just gushed over my outfit.  She loved the boots and wanted to know where I had gotten them.  I think the guy running the register was having a bad day.  He managed to be professional and courteous but on previous visits he had been much happier.  (He had a tough time with the customer in front of me too.)  The lady at the exit commented that I looked coordinated today (and she didn't mead that I wasn't tripping over my heels).

I headed home and still noticed that I was wearing a lot of red.:penitent:

• Like 3