The 1930's

manoleat

Since the old 1930's thread is closed I would like to open a new one with one of my latest purchases.

These shoes have been recently sold at Kerry Taylor Auctions and I was the lucky bidder. They were made for Regent Shoe Stores in Wardour Street, London. Another specialized shop in high heels back then was National Shoes, also in Wardour Street. Both got their high heel shoes and boots made in Belgium. Sadly I don't know which manufacturer back then worked for them. Not so long ago I learned that Belgium was big in the shoe industry back then. 

Interesting with these shoes is that they are quite a big size. Imprinted on the sole is a 44 but they are to todays standards a narrow 43, still big though. They sport a 6.25" heel. So high heel fetish was nothing new for men back then. I also have other shoes and boots in that size from the era 1930's to 1950's.

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Regent Shoes was still in business in Wardour Street until the late-60s; I recall furtively admiring shoes in its windows as I passed.   A one-time member here (Heelfan) was employed there in that period as a window dresser etc and recounted several tales of its customers, male and female.   He was also the author of Lucy's stories, a blend of fact and fiction, and a search may well produce some background info on this interesting retailer and its contemporaries.   I do wish we could turn the clock back to that golden age of heels!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those look really amazing, and those heels look very sturdy.  And in great condition too.  Great find!

Here's a thread with someone who claimed to be Lucy.  Sadly, the links in the thread are not working anymore.

15 hours ago, alphax said:

Those look really amazing, and those heels look very sturdy.  And in great condition too.  Great find!

Here's a thread with someone who claimed to be Lucy.  Sadly, the links in the thread are not working anymore.

The stories by 'Lucy' were actually written by Heelfan (see my post above) and reputed to be 'her' high-heel experiences.   Although 'Lucy' was later unmasked, most of the things 'she' wrote about were true and derived from Heelfan's own contemporary experiences.   He was at one time a window-dresser at Regent Shoes and wrote truthfully about that business and its customers.   Unfortunately, neither the Lucy stories nor Heelfan's own contributions have continued here.

Very nice shoes. That's a pity no one is producing such shoes anymore. 

The only place we could ask for these shoes would be Fabulously Fetish.  But as we all know now this Company is to be forgotten because totally dishonest. 

Maybe there is one person in Paris! I have forgotten the name . But I remember the price : something as 2000 euros  !! 

I will personally keep on walking in my beloved Fuss shoes  

Pierre 

10 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

Isn't he still posting on the "Heels for men" site?

No.   Nothing heard from Heelfan for several years.    I met him once years ago; he had many interesting memories of high-heel sightings and wearing in the 1960s heyday.

17 hours ago, Puffer said:

No.   Nothing heard from Heelfan for several years.    I met him once years ago; he had many interesting memories of high-heel sightings and wearing in the 1960s heyday.

On second thought, I was thinking of Fast Freddie,I believe.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 10 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 7:49 AM, Pierre1961 said:

Caroline Groves deserve a visit. Doesn't she? Has someone here bought something from her ? 

Caroline Groves makes only bespoke shoes and boots. She has no showroom but sometimes does trunk shows - in New York for example.

Last year in October I was given the unique opportunity to meet her. She is a very nice Lady and at least had one of her boots with her so I could "inspect" this gem. On the picture you can see me "comparing" my boot with hers. A total different league of course... ;-)

I also visited Natacha Marro in her workshop that day. What a nice crazy Lady and also awesome shoe and boot designs. All this happened during the London Fetish Weekend and I surely won't forget that!

IMG_7464.jpg

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I love that vintage look with that round toe cap! 

That’s what I love on vintage boots like these. In a shorter version they were called babydoll toes.

9 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I admit I didn’t know what button up boots even were until today.  They look amazing!  

Thank you very much! Sadly the Lady I made them for couldn’t wear them. At least that’s what she said.

16 hours ago, manoleat said:

Thank you very much! Sadly the Lady I made them for couldn’t wear them. At least that’s what she said.

That is too bad.  You are the craftsman behind this?  That is really neat!

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Hello @manoleat!

if you are the hobbyist behind them,can you tell me if I could order some pairs ,and where ( or how)? 

Thanks 

Pierre 

Hello Pierre,

as a hobbyist I sadly don't have the time to make shoes or boots on order. Anyhow, these are mostly my first steps and there are still some issues I will have to sort out.

Tank you for your interest though!

manoleat