Getting used to not wearing low heels?

Micce

I was wondering if other forum members have had similar feelings....  For past couple of years I have always had 5-7 cm shoes, be that oxfords, boots or ankle boots. Except for gardening, sports, etc... Some time ago I got thighboots with low heels, only 2-3 cm or an inch or so. Not playing Pirates of the Caribbean here (sea being frozen for winter) but those boots go nice with a long overcoat. Anyway, to my mild amuzement I realized I felt strange going out with such low footwear. Not properly dressed, sort of half naked with low heels. Or like going without tie to a formal party.

1 hour ago, Micce said:

Some time ago I got thighboots with low heels, only 2-3 cm or an inch or so. Not playing Pirates of the Caribbean here (sea being frozen for winter) but those boots go nice with a long overcoat.

The sea being frozen is one of those concepts that it takes me a few minuted to wrap my head around. 

My thigh boots collection included 5" stiletto and 3/4" block heels and my OTK collection is with flat heels to 4" block heels.  I wear all the flat and low heels on casual outings where the boots are featured rather than the heels, but if I'm feeling a little more than casual I go for the heels.  I don't recall feeling over or under dressed as long as I'm wearing boots, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, being fashionably attired is not my strong suite.  I have a couple of long coats but I prefer shorter ones, stopping at the waist or hip, but like I said frozen sea is a new concept to me. :penitent:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Yes, yes! I know exactly what you mean, and it has nothing to do with the physical. I am perfectly capable of wearing flats or going barefoot all day long physically, but on the rare occasions that I choose to wear flats outside of work, I always regret it. It just doesn't feel right at all.

I am mixing the hights of my heels to avoid the feeling you describe. Tuns out that women also do this. I was picking up my son at his school af few days ago and while I was waitng I started taling to a mother of a classmate of my sons. I complimented her on het boots and asked her I I ws correct that she worde diferent boots in the morning. She told me she changes het foorwear in the afternoon to a different heel hight to prevent ht muscles to shorten (with higher heels). Turns out she is has a doctor :). She told me by fixing the hight your muscles gt a kind of lazy. bij alternating the hight you can prevent that.

small or big doesn't matter, wear your heels proud .... that is!

9 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

gj, good advice. I often change footwear 2 or 3 times a day, just for variation. I'm quite comfortable in anything from flats to 3.5 inches.

Steve

It may well be good advice, but I took away something completely different:

On 11/18/2016 at 11:45 AM, Micce said:

I was wondering if other forum members have had similar feelings.  .  . to my mild amuzement I realized I felt strange going out with such low footwear. Not properly dressed, sort of half naked with low heels. Or like going without tie to a formal party.

Thus far, all of the replies have been about calf muscles cramping or Achilles tendons shortening, something along those lines. I don't believe Micce was talking about such physical ailments at all, but rather the feeling you get inside your head when you wear high heels versus low heels. I notice a very distinct sense of well-being when I am wearing heels which is absent when I am not. I believe that Micce was asking if others also experience this, or its opposite, a feeling of slight dismay when not wearing heels.

An interesting topic. I'm probably different from other members as I'm all about a complete he'd to toe image and treat shoes as just accessories to properly finish whatever outfit I happen to be wearing. To that end, I'm perfectly comfortable wearing anything from flat sandals to 5 inch heeled thigh boots, though, because I spend a goodly amount of time on my feet whenever I'm out and about in public, I rarely wear anything over four inches, more often than not, three. Depending on the styling, low to flat heeled shoes and boots can look just as sharp and sky high stilettos. It's all about perspective.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Miroseplant got my point. I wasn't thinking about physical discomforts, let alone any medical problems.  What I have in mind for this topic has more to do with feeling of being properly dressed or not.  Getting used to being 2-3" taller in public etc.

Such low or mid-height shoes are still so low that walking is no problem, especially with conservative looking block heels.  And footwear is still so unisex that even my teenage daughter's friends don't pay any attention. Maybe someone will one day ask "Sir, are you stuck in the 1970s with your footwear" but that's about it.

So my midset is sort of stuck to wearing (moderate) heels in public, that I could not even consider low-heeled male style oxfords for example. Those are just outright ugly and kind of clumsy, being so low.  Have got accustomed to that idea during past couple of years, ever since I started using a bit higher footwear.

However, no problem wearing low heels such as trainers for sports or combat boots when doing my occasional weekend in the military. And calf muscles have lot of time to rest anyway, as here in the Nordic countries it is customary not to wear any footwear in private homes.

I enjoy wearing gals shoes....  Depending on the situation, event, where I am going, etc., determines what style shoe and how high a heel I will be wearing.  Since I am on the tall side already, I don't go for heels much higher that 3 inches, most all my shoes / sandals are less than that.  In fact I just bought for myself (and early Christmas present - I've been good) a pair of ankle strap sandals from Nine West with a 2 inch "kitten" heel.  Can't wait to get out in them, they really look stylish - pic attached.  Nine West Leisa.jpg

I do enjoy the look and feel and confident feeling when wearing heels, but sometimes lower or a flat shoe is appropriate - but still a woman's style.  Gals shoes just look nicer.  

Take care all....  sf 

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 1 month later...

i my opinion it is a wise idea to reguarly switch between flats and heels.  also dont stick to the same height of heels all the time.  try to vary the height between 2.5 and 4 inch for regular use on a daily basis and save the skyscrapers for the special events. 

my comfortable height for daily wear is between 2.75 and 3.75 inch.  4 inch is ok for 5 or 6 hours.  i keep the higher heels for special occasions and fundraising.

block heels are also a lot easier to walk in and also safer.  they also need less maintainence.  if i was to wear stilettos on a daily basis they would need to be re tipped around every 2 weeks with plastic tips or 6 weeks with metal tips.  chunky heels will last me around 3 months in constant use.

you will also find that some heels will benefit from insoles.  sometimes you will find heels more comfortable wearing nylons. personally if im wearing peeptoes i like to go bare foot but when wearing pumps or boots i like to wear nylons but this depends on the weather

Interesting topic. Since I don't own anything under 4"/10 cm I don't know how to answer. I believe my style reflects the occasion. Pumps for better occasions, boots for cold weather, wedges for warm-weather shopping or an outdoor wedding. Since I am so used to higher heels I suppose a heel of only 2-3"/5-7.5 cm would feel strange. Variation in anything is probably prudent. HappyinHeels