Not so nice of a doctor visit

HeelsWearer

I was doing laundry over the weekend and I picked up a laundry basket and turned a little funny. I threw something out in my back. I waited a day and it was still bothering me. I haven't been to a chiropractor in over 10 years and mine retired. I found a new one today who could fit me in. I went to work and snuck out for an hour for my appointment. I met the new doctor and he seemed nice enough. Once he got me in the exam room he place heat on me and adjusted my back. Then he more or less, "read me the riot act" about my shoes. (I happened to be wearing my 7 inch slides today). He asked me how often I wore high heels? He told me it was a huge mistake to wear them daily and that I'd be causing permanent damage. He said my feet, Achilles, calves, and back could all be affected. When he asked me what I did for work and I told him I was a hostess he really bristled. You are on your feet all day and wear those shoes? That is crazy he said. He asked me how high my shoes were and by this time I felt like a teenager being caught doing something wrong so I lied. I mumbled that I didn't know, maybe 3 or 4 inches high. He said nonsense and picked up one of my heels and got out a tape measure. When he measured 7 inches in height he gasped; meanwhile I was turning beat red :oops:. This is crazy he told me, you're looking for trouble wearing shoes like that. I told him I'd been doing it for years, found them comfortable and didn't have any physical problems from them. He told me just to wait, the time will come and I should consider giving them up. I realize he was just being a doctor and doing his job about warning me about possible dangers - almost like a doctor telling a smoker all the problems they would face in the future. But this doctor was very passionate about it! Needless to say, I paid him and headed out the door, never to return! If I need a chiropractor in the future I'll find someone else. Kind of a funny incident looking back at it, but at the time, as I said, I thought I was a teen and being lectured by my father :fine:. Oh, the trials and tribulations of wearing high heels....  Have a great day, Carol

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HeelsWearer said:

If I need a chiropractor in the future I'll find someone else.

That was going to be my advice.

I have always worn heels (generally 5" stilettos) when I see my family doctor and my podiatrist.  I've always worn them to see my chiropractor. Not one medical professional has ever advised against wearing heels.  The only caution was the podiatrist saying to avoid shoes that cramped my toes together.  I have posted that I have a pinched nerve that has weakened my left ankle.  Both my family doctor and my chiropractor gauge how well my ankle is doing by how high a heel I'm wearing on my visit.

I know you love wearing heels but I'd give some flats a spin just for the variety for your feet.

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

TBG gives good advice. I think I read in one of your posts you can stand in bare feet for only about 20 minutes before your foot and calf muscles tend to go funny. You should probably at least do a few minutes of gentle stretching. Strong and flexible feet and ankles are a really good thing no matter what style of footwear you like.

My sympathies on your back troubles. I know exactly how easy it is to make a simple awkward motion and end up in a lot of pain. 

• Like 1

Thank you to all for your concern. I'm feeling a lot better today and that's even with heels on :fine:. A couple of you made a good point that perhaps I should start a stretching routine for my calves... my only excuse is who has the time, which is a wimpy excuse!!!!

• Like 1

As you've been in heels all your adult life, I think the die is cast. I'd recommend some sensible 5inch cork wedge slides to wear as 'slippers' at home as they spread the weight more than stilettos without any loss of height or heel appeal :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HeelsWearer said:

A couple of you made a good point that perhaps I should start a stretching routine for my calves... my only excuse is who has the time

For me it's out in heels and flats at home.  If my legs complain about either one, I know the change was a good idea.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

20 minutes ago, HeelsWearer said:

A couple of you made a good point that perhaps I should start a stretching routine for my calves... my only excuse is who has the time

For me it's out in heels and flats at home.  If my legs complain about either one, I know the change was a good idea.

• Like 1

Nosey doctor, but just doing his job. Maybe he could've toned down the preaching a bit & maybe tried to be informative. The human body can adapt to the situation it finds itself in. I have a friend who almost permanently wears dark glasses, now she finds it difficult to go outside without putting them on. When I was in school our science teacher told us of an experiment that had been done with glasses. People were given glasses to wear that inverted the world, after a couple of days their brains had adapted & they saw the world the right way round. This is not to say that if you permanently wear high heels you'll damage your legs, but the possibility is there, and it differs with everybody. Some stretching exercises would be a good idea, and it's not that difficult. If you have steps at home stand with your toes on the edge of the steps, hold onto the door frame & slowly lower yourself down. Do this a couple of times a week & your stretching is done. 

But keep up the heeling.

• Like 3