Age Appropriate?

mlroseplant

Several people have touched on this subject recently, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about it.

The question is, how old is too old to be wearing very short shorts, or short skirts? In addition to the recent discussion on this forum, the thought occurred to me that most of the women who dress the way I do are much younger than me, and most certainly if they are white, like me. I do occasionally see Asian or Latina women my age who will show a whole bunch of leg while wearing high heels, usually (but not always) to great effect. When I look in the mirror dressed in short shorts, I think I look pretty good. In fact, I feel I look much better than I do wearing shorts any longer than mid-thigh. It's because my legs are so short that I can't afford to break the visual line with longer shorts, or my legs look really short. My favorite inseam length for shorts is in the 2-3 inch range, just for reference.

So the question is, is there a point where you have to hang it up, and be resigned to wearing long pants (or longer skirts) for the rest of your life? If so, how do you know when you've reached that point?

• Like 1

How old are you?  The simple answer if to look at your date of birth and the current date and do the math, but I think it is a much more nuanced question than that.

Although my chronologic age is starting to limit how well I can walk in 5" stilettos and other physical limitations, I also realize I am mentally slowing down  (used to multitask at least  three concurrent tasks where now doing one well is the goal).  All of this is part of our "age".

We may not see ourselves as others see us.  Most young people see themselves as older and with more wisdom than they currently possess, and many older folks refuse to acknowledge that they are now old and keep striving to retain their youth.   Another part of how we see ourselves is our internal male/female mix.  All folks, male and female, draw differently from this internal pool and present themselves as mannish or feminine or somewhere, on the wide scale, in between, and sometimes differently at different times.

I think that how we present ourselves in public is a direct reflection of how we mentally see ourselves.  There is no limit to the mental images we might have, be it successful older business man, young entrepreneur, old codger, young gal, middle aged lady, avid sports fan (beer in hand), athlete, ...    This image may not reflect what we really are and therein lies the con job we play on the rest of the world.  The extreme of this is a guy that has the mental image of a gal and makes that presentation.

Because we have a mental image of ourselves, we may not see ourselves as others see us.  Sometimes we are surprised by the reaction others have to our presentation because we really "didn't see it coming".  It is often good to have a reality check from a trusted friend or a group of total strangers to insure that our mental image isn't too far afield or to remind us how our presentation is perceived.  We should not be deterred my minor misperception because our mental images are not cast in stone and do change, sometimes hourly.

I have read sever articles that stated that when men are cross dressed they should dress in age appropriate clothing.  I think the goal of this statement was for men trying to pass when cross dressed.  I don't think that is the goal for most of the guys on this forum.  Most of us want to wear heels as a guy or even skirts as a guy.  However the age appropriate clothing argument still has some merit. 

So when do we go from short skirts to long skirts to short shorts to jeans?   We make that transition when our mental image of ourselves  makes that transition.  When we can't see ourselves looking good (full length mirror test) in shorts or short skirts then it is time to move, on but by all means be yourself. Trying to present something other than yourself is extremely stressful and often a disaster.

A last note of caution: Watch out for the Peter Pan syndrome - "I'll never grow up".

• Like 3

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

As far as I am concerned it has more to do with your body type than age. My wife is over 50, has nice legs, no cellulite, so why not wear minis and shorts? On the other hand if your legs are cross crossed with varicose veins and look like you have a layer of cottage cheese under your skin, and perhaps 50 pounds over weight maybe it is time to cover up. 

Shorts shorts on guy? I guess the same applies, and if go have the gonads to wear them. I have a couple pair, but they are for lounging around the house.

Cat, you blow mind mind! Slim, curvy, great legs. I had to look twise when I found out you are a guy!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CAT said:

I just turned the big five-0.  I still think I look pretty good for 50. I do wish I would have started earlier.

I'm impressed.  Based on your pictures (a miniskirt and 6 inch heels fishnets) I had you pegged as late 20s.  What we wear does send a signal to others about our mental image of ourselves.  Congratulations on being able to pull off that image (having great legs helps).

As for starting earlier - society has changed a lot in recent years so it may not have been possible/acceptable to present yourself as you now do ten years ago without encountering severe/dangerous push back.  So take advantage of the current social norms and don't look back with regrets.

Edited by Thighbootguy
  • Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

From the "Great Minds Think Alike" department, I was planning to start a thread about age and freestyling, but mlroseplant beat me to it, however, I don't mind that at all.

Now, I'm 57 and like to think I have a great pair of legs, enabling me to work a miniskirt and a pair of spike heels (or thigh high boots) just as well as any woman, if not better, but, more often than not, I tend to dress my age, mainly because I enjoy looking classy and stylish, something that suits the mental image I have of myself. perhaps that might be seen as staid, boring even, but I happen to like that image, especially since I spend a goodly period of time on my outings in broad daylight, surrounded by multitudes of people, so my goal is to blend in with my surroundings, to that end, I seek to dress like a middle aged woman. But, that doesn't mean I don't like to spice things up from time to time, and that's when I break out the minis as I look good in skirts of ANY length, and those are fun. As for striving to maintain my youth, I don't think that's important to me because I think young, but remain grounded, and I find that to be a healthy balance. I accept my age and dress appropriately because that makes me look classy when out in public, and that means a great deal to me.

By the by, CAT, you look great! Bravo to you!

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

11 hours ago, Pumped said:

Cat, you blow mind mind! Slim, curvy, great legs. I had to look twise when I found out you are a guy!!

That's funny.   Not my intention to pass as a girl but I love all the compliments. There is no second guessing when I am dressed up in a skirt and heels whether it's business appropriate or a little on the the hmmmmm slutty side I am a guy, just a guy in a skirt and heels that like the way I look

Thanks again to all for the great compliments 

CAT 

Age is just a number on the scorecard of life. What counts more is attitude, health, an how you look and feel in what you choose to wear. If you have good health, have a positive attitude, look and feel great wearing your heels and clothes,  then age becomes irrelevant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swedeheeler said:

Then I must ask you @CAT:Do you shave your legs or are you lucky enough to have naturally hairless legs?

I trim them short not shaved bare. But the naturally hairless comment  is fumny

7 hours ago, 5150PLB1 said:

Age is just a number on the scorecard of life. What counts more is attitude, health, an how you look and feel in what you choose to wear. If you have good health, have a positive attitude, look and feel great wearing your heels and clothes,  then age becomes irrelevant.

I agree wholeheartedly!

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, CAT said:

I just turned the big five-0.  I still think I look pretty good for 50. I do wish I would have started earlier.  I get pozitive compliments all the time.  I would imagine I'm pushing the limit BUT I have no intention of stopping just yet.  Some of my outfits are more age appropriate but as I have said many times before,,,, I always seem to end up in a miniskirt and 6 inch heels fishnets are a favorite but not always appropriate for where we go. I was out with my girlfriend last night, she took the pics.  Last night she was not dressed up as much as me.  You tell me if I look 50,,,, I can take it lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You have an amazing figure, and have obviously put in the work to keep it looking that way!  No way you just turned 50, you look great...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CAT said:

That's funny.   Not my intention to pass as a girl but I love all the compliments. There is no second guessing when I am dressed up in a skirt and heels whether it's business appropriate or a little on the the hmmmmm slutty side I am a guy, just a guy in a skirt and heels that like the way I look

Thanks again to all for the great compliments 

CAT 

I hear ya buddy, and that is what makes you so amazing....It is not your intention to pass as a female, you have achieved a very powerful identity for sure!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:55 AM, mlroseplant said:

Several people have touched on this subject recently, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about it.

The question is, how old is too old to be wearing very short shorts, or short skirts? In addition to the recent discussion on this forum, the thought occurred to me that most of the women who dress the way I do are much younger than me, and most certainly if they are white, like me. I do occasionally see Asian or Latina women my age who will show a whole bunch of leg while wearing high heels, usually (but not always) to great effect. When I look in the mirror dressed in short shorts, I think I look pretty good. In fact, I feel I look much better than I do wearing shorts any longer than mid-thigh. It's because my legs are so short that I can't afford to break the visual line with longer shorts, or my legs look really short. My favorite inseam length for shorts is in the 2-3 inch range, just for reference.

So the question is, is there a point where you have to hang it up, and be resigned to wearing long pants (or longer skirts) for the rest of your life? If so, how do you know when you've reached that point?

This is a great topic indeed....I guess much depends on how a guy feels when he looks in the mirror...It is all about how you perceive yourself in whatever you are wearing.  I tend to be "my own worst enemy" when it comes to judging myself, and waste too much time worrying about "what I think others think about me".  I have never had the type of body that would look good in shorts, or skirts, but still like the way I look in levis and boots. 

Needless to say, we have all seen women and guys who err on the other side of the confidence scale as well, wearing things they shouldn't be wearing.  Nonetheless, they are strutting around like they just won a beauty contest.  I used to be critical, but now realize they obviously think they look great, and I guess that is all that matters. 

The beauty of this forum is that we can post pictures, and for the most part, will receive honest, but gentle, feedback. 

• Like 1

On September 6, 2016 at 3:26 AM, northshoreguy1981 said:

If you've got it , flaunt it, I say.

People may drop comments that others may look really old/young/out of shape/fit for their age but those are preconceived social norms.

@CAT what shoes are they? They are fantastic!

They are my number 1 all time favorite go to any time Steve Madden Dejavu platform pumps. I have 3 black and 2 beige and watching for other colors on eBay as they are now discontinued.  :sad: 

• Like 1

I'm reminded of that show Hotter Then My Daughter, where they show a LOT of middle aged to older women are in serious denial that they can still wear the same (usually slutty) clothes that they did when they're young. They say age is nothing but a number but that is also serious denial. The sad fact is that while in our minds we still think of ourselves as the persons that we used to be when we were younger, the outside world is less forgiving. And there is nothing sadder looking then a man or a woman who still tries to look like a hot teen or tween. If you have good genetics or a healthy lifestyle nature will allow you to get away with it for a little longer then most, but when your face starts to look old it doesn't matter how lean, mean and trim your body is, it's just not going to mesh.

So I'm all in favor of dressing more age appropriately. Which in the minds of most people seems to be to give up and start wearing comfortable yet ugly as f*** clothing. But classy can be sexy in its own right too.

• Like 2

Whilst i agree that we should dress appropriately for our surroundings and climate, we are then further hemmed in by work and social 'norms'. 

Wearing a short skirt as you get older is not in any way different from us blokes wearing heels. 

We who dont want to be judged and fit in to society's stereotypes should not judge others for their expression

my 2 cents

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Regards

James

21 hours ago, Chorlini said:

I'm reminded of that show Hotter Then My Daughter, where they show a LOT of middle aged to older women are in serious denial that they can still wear the same (usually slutty) clothes that they did when they're young. They say age is nothing but a number but that is also serious denial. The sad fact is that while in our minds we still think of ourselves as the persons that we used to be when we were younger, the outside world is less forgiving. And there is nothing sadder looking then a man or a woman who still tries to look like a hot teen or tween. If you have good genetics or a healthy lifestyle nature will allow you to get away with it for a little longer then most, but when your face starts to look old it doesn't matter how lean, mean and trim your body is, it's just not going to mesh.

So I'm all in favor of dressing more age appropriately. Which in the minds of most people seems to be to give up and start wearing comfortable yet ugly as f*** clothing. But classy can be sexy in its own right too.

That is often, if not always my objective as I enjoy looking stylish and classy by dressing my age, and that makes me feel good.

• Like 1

Fashion always poses the question, do you want to blend in or stand out? If the former what does blend in mean for your culture, age group etc. If the latter, how do you want to stand out? I agree wear what makes you happy, just realize that there may be social consequences to it. Usually those are pretty slight.

Edited by robbiehhw