Favourite bits of the Olympics

It was a toss up between GB winning the women's hockey gold and that Brazilian chap who was so delighted receiving his bronze medal, but watching the closing ceremony I wonder if the high point isn't the people dressed as broccoli.  Who couldn't love that a millions of dollars corrupt event is as cheesy as a village fete?  It gives you hope, doesn't it?

Hmmm. High points...a toss up between the spectacle of the head of the Irish Olympic Committee getting frog-marched off to one of Rio's  toughest maximum security prisons charged with racketeering and ticket touting, and the mixed medley at a Rio petrol station performed by four drunken members of the US swimming squad (ably anchored by Ryan Lochte). Some of the boxing decisions were good fun - a bit of imaginative play.  Oh, and speaking of Hope, I rather enjoyed Ms Solo's sporting comments on the Swedes after her team lost to them in the women's football. 

And let's not forget the naming of one of the banned Russian athletes to the Olympic Committee to help take the spirit of the Olympic 'movement' forward to the next generations. 

I used to love the Olympics, I really did, but nowadays...

Edited by Shyheels

Somehow the networks missed covering the men's 100m high heel dash and the women's beach volleyball team that wore thigh boots. :text_sigh:

However, there were some amazing physical performances but I'm glad the show is over.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

But then there is the "Hurtles of high heels" that we all encounter.

:text_info:

I think we could have our own HHPLACE event.  We could award points for style, degree of difficulty (based on heel height), and inversely for speed (more point the longer your in heels).  There would also be additional points for venue: zero for staying at home, -1 for going out on a dark street at night, a bunch for going to a mall, a bigger bunch for wandering around downtown as @JeffB and @CAT do  , and a huge bunch for going to a motorcycle rally like @mlroseplantdid. :penitent:

Edited by Thighbootguy
  • Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Interesting thought! Depending on which dark street, in which neighborhood, a competitor dared to saunter down in his stilettos, you might want to award as many danger points as for the chrome, smoke and barbeque motorcycle rally!

I am liking the image of a superheavyweight weightlifter in specially strengthened  Louboutins lurching forward, tottering towards the judges' table in six inch heels, with 264 kilos held over his head in the clean-and-jerk. The terror on the judges' faces - priceless. For everything else there is MasterCard.

Edited by Shyheels

7 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I think we could have our own HHPLACE event.  We could award points for style, degree of difficulty (based on heel height), and inversely for speed (more point the longer your in heels).  There would also be additional points for venue: zero for staying at home, -1 for going out on a dark street at night, a bunch for going to a mall, a bigger bunch for wandering around downtown as @JeffB and @CAT do  , and a huge bunch for going to a motorcycle rally like @mlroseplantdid. :penitent:

Ah, but for 'degree of difficulty' Amanda would get 10 for doing it in flats,

• Like 2

That's a good point!

Years of practice and shortened achilles tendons would have to go into the equation...

I suspect you' would end up with a judging/point-scoring formula that would make the Duckworth-Lewis calculations for scoring rates in rain-affected one-day cricket matches seem like child's play, let alone the scoring that gives Olympic divers scores like 93.518 for a dive. Still it would be entertaining to see what could be devised.

15 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Heh! Sounds intriguing!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Why not? If synchronised drowning can be a televised event, why shouldn't the mastery of high heels? It would certainly be talked about a lot more than a good many of the really rather obscure sports in the Olympics, no doubt attracting large and curious crowds, and the visuals could be really good.  

• 2 months later...
On 24/08/2016 at 11:20 AM, Shyheels said:

Why not? If synchronised drowning can be a televised event, why shouldn't the mastery of high heels? It would certainly be talked about a lot more than a good many of the really rather obscure sports in the Olympics, no doubt attracting large and curious crowds, and the visuals could be really good.  

On 22/08/2016 at 9:15 PM, Shyheels said:

I am liking the image of a superheavyweight weightlifter in specially strengthened  Louboutins lurching forward, tottering towards the judges' table in six inch heels, with 264 kilos held over his head in the clean-and-jerk. The terror on the judges' faces - priceless. For everything else there is MasterCard.

i like the idea of a bloke doing the 100 metres in 4 inch heels....on a sandy beach.  dont think many people man or woman could run a marathon in heels.  i walked a half marathon in 4 inch platforms and i was in agony.  it was as much i could do to stand let alone walk