maybe a step in the direction

weird1

Interesting.....  However, I looked at the Nordstrom site as well as Zendaya's site and none of the shoes go larger than a size 10.  There are other references and quotes from Zendaya on the net about her shoe line not being only for ladies, because "boys rock heels too," but it seems strange that she only has shoes that go to a size 10.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.  Nice looking shoes tho...  Take care...    sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I'm reminded of that quote which says 'We sell in all kinds of colors, as long as its black'. In which case 'We sell shoes to everyone, as long as they're no bigger then size 10.

Still, at least it's way better then Louboutin, who doesn't like to see men wearing his shoes.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:49 AM, SF said:

Interesting.....  However, I looked at the Nordstrom site as well as Zendaya's site and none of the shoes go larger than a size 10.  There are other references and quotes from Zendaya on the net about her shoe line not being only for ladies, because "boys rock heels too," but it seems strange that she only has shoes that go to a size 10.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.  Nice looking shoes tho...  Take care...    sf

This.  It seems every retailer that carries / carried larger sizes has completely transitioned them out of their stores.  Nordstrom Rack did this years ago with their remodels - suddenly the small size 13 section was gone, replaced with 11 / 12, which itself had shrank drastically.  I haven't really liked anything at Payless for a couple years but they are the same, the stores that used to have a few pairs of 12 - 13 don't have anything anymore and if they do it's one pair of their completely played out Karmen pumps in matte black.  While DSW rarely had anything over 12 (12w on rare occasion, even rarer if they weren't something like nurse's clogs), their clearance section would occasionally have a few pairs to take a look at.  That's changing as well as most, if not all stores, are installing / expanding a kid's section, which is eating up floor space for clearance - the only place where those larger sizes were ever really found.  My local DSW stops at size 11 in clearance now and the rest of it has all been compressed down as well.

Granted in the case of Nordstrom and DSW the majority of that is in the hands of the manufacturers but where as a couple years ago both locations championed how they sold larger sizes (especially some Nordstrom Rack locations having special larger size inventory days) neither seems to acknowledge the demographic anymore.

Sure a few of the bigger mid-quality brands such as Nine West now make quite a few of their shoes up to size 12 (go one size further as standard, dammit!), with an occasional 13 or 14, but it is always an afterthought and the shoes are hard to find or expensive -- and again, most stop at 11 or if you're fortunate 12.  The other side of the coin are the more costume type shoes that do run into larger sizes but let's all be honest that Pleaser / Bordello / Demonia / Funtasma / Ellie / Leg Avenue / etc. really do stick to bread-and-butter styles outside of the crazy exotic stuff, and even that has been pretty stagnant in terms of new styles for almost a decade - with the exception of some old discontinued Demonia styles I desperately wish they would bring back.  They can also have wildly inconsistent sizing due to their current lines being produced over such a large amount of time.

If Nine West, or Steve Madden, or BCBG would do one season's heels up through size 14, even with a $5 - $10 increase for the two largest sizes, and make sure production was easy to find - that's all it would take to prove what a huge market there is and that it should be embraced.  I joked years go when the BCBGeneration and BCBGirls brands were launched that they need to make a BCBGentlemen and BCBGuys sub brand of heels in larger sizes.  Still waiting for that day.

Edited by Lime15
  • Like 1

I got an invitation to take a survey when I was on the White Mountain Shoes website the other day, so I accepted. The last question was open ended - any suggestions? I suggested very strongly that they consider offering bigger sizes. They go only to size 11, which for me is ok in sandals and clogs, but not for loafers, pumps, and boots. While companies don't want to invest in a large proportion of large sizes, at least they could offer a small percentage in larger sizes. In companies which offer 12, that size is almost always the first to sell out. Why aren't these companies getting the message?

Steve

While I rarely have a problem finding women's shoes to fit my size 10/11 feet, I have noticed, especially in shoe stores in the malls in larger cities like Charlotte  or Charleston, many of the stores that cater to African American ladies tastes sell many attractive styles of women's shoes in larger/wider sizes.  Perhaps you guys that are having problems locating bigger sizes might keep this in mind as a possible source.

Edited by Bubba136

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

2 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

While I rarely have a problem finding women's shoes to fit my size 10/11 feet, I have noticed, especially in shoe stores in the malls in larger cities like Charlotte  or Charleston, many of the stores that cater to African American ladies tastes sell many attractive styles of women's shoes in larger/wider sizes.  Perhaps you guys that are having problems locating bigger sizes might keep this in mind as a possible source.

I used to notice that too but over the past couple years that avenue has dried up as well.

Interesting, Lime15.  I would have completely agreed with you a couple years ago when, for example, my local Nordstron Rack pulled then entire 12-13 section.  They must have gotten some negatve feedback, because they are back again (Chicago area, btw).  The selction is always smaller - but that is more so due to the lack of manufacturers that make 12+ sizes.  And Payless has opened a couple of what they call their SuperStores, and those typically have a fairly wide selection.  Most stores still stop at 11, and some, like Target, have reduced their entire shoe section down to a minimum of styles.  I do wish DSW would carry more large sizes in store.  Even 11s are getting hard to find in their shops.

I thought something was up. I noticed a pitiful little number of styles in size 11 at Target's in the last year or so. The Sam & Libby brand is notorious for stopping at 10. The Nordstrom Rack nearest me has decent selection of 11s, but 12s & 13s are half what they used to be. 

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

I suspect its mostly because of the competition of internet stores or bargain retailers. Especially shoe stores are feeling the heat in that regard and the whole summer one retail chain after the other has gone into bankruptcy here in the Netherlands. It's like you couldn't turn on the TV and see yet another big retail chain go bankrupt.

So I guess the big shoe stores have decided that if they're going to have physical stores which carry physical stock they're going to carry stock which is guaranteed to sell, which means only those sizes which will sell a lot and leave those sizes which are less guaranteed to sell, the big sizes, either to their internet webstores, or not at all. Which means that the big sizes become less interesting as well to the manufacturers. Thus creating a negative feedback loop leading to less supply even though perversely there is probably plenty if not growing demand. If only because in the West everybody keeps on getting bigger, including women. Capitalism in action. Not doing what is logical and best for everyone. Just what generates the quickest easiest buck.

On a sad sidenote, my local Primark store, which used to carry quite a large selection of high heeled footwear up to size UK8/EU42 (which meant I could at least wear the heeled sandals), seems to have done away with them. All the racks that used to carry high heels now only carry flats or other clothing items. With the last pairs of heels now relegated to the final bargain bin.

As we all know, Nine West doesn't carry a lot of stock over size 10, but I do know that all the larger sized shoes that don't sell go to an outlet store in Monroe Ohio near Cincinnati. Sales associates have told me that they get quite a few men shopping there because of this.

If your on the road on I-75 near Cincinnati, it may be worth a stop.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Heelster said:

As we all know, Nine West doesn't carry a lot of stock over size 10, but I do know that all the larger sized shoes that don't sell go to an outlet store in Monroe Ohio near Cincinnati. Sales associates have told me that they get quite a few men shopping there because of this.

If your on the road on I-75 near Cincinnati, it may be worth a stop.

There is a Nine West outlet store in the Niagara Falls Fashion Outlet Mall, Niagara Falls New York. They carry a lot of size 11's which I wear and they do carry some size 12. I've even seem some size 13, which I didn't even know they made. Nine West online carries most shoes and boots to size 11. Some 12's too. Also Macy's in my area carry Nine West to size 11. Aerosoles shoes all go to size 12. Check them out. I have many pairs of Aerosoles and I love them. They are very comfortable to wear. Naturalizer also carries to size 11 in their stores and outlet stores and they also have some size 12. Of course there is always Payless, that in my area have a limited supply of size 13 in heels, many size 12 and almost all their styles in size 11.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Another source for high quality, larger size shoes is Marmi.  Most all of their shoes go to size eleven, and many styles go to size thirteen!  Their stuff does get a bit pricy (over $100 US), but the quality is well worth it.  The staff at the stores that I have shopped at are very friendly too.  I have three pair of sandals from Marmi, they are my "go to" sandals and I wear them most all the time.

Also take a peek at Torrid, they have shoes / sandals in larger sizes, they cater to larger size gals (and guys) in general.   Cheaper too.  Not as big a selection of shoes - maybe since they also sell clothes - but the staff at the stores are really nice.  

Take care....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

3 hours ago, SF said:

Also take a peek at Torrid, they have shoes / sandals in larger sizes, they cater to larger size gals (and guys) in general.   Cheaper too.  Not as big a selection of shoes - maybe since they also sell clothes - but the staff at the stores are really nice. 

A note that Torrid tends to top out at size 12 in their stores unless a size 13 is returned and they don't send it back out right away.  They've also moved a lot of their shoes to "online exclusive" in any size.  Torrid irritates me as it has been a few years since they had anything I really, really liked.  I don't know what's up with their management but a lot of their styles are just strange lately or are very poorly made, as in they all fall apart and fail in the same place - check some of the reviews online.

What I don't understand is why they don't bring back some of their previous shoe styles, the ones that constantly were top sellers for YEARS and had a classic presentation.  Namely the "System" platform pumps which were sold in a wide assortment of colors and finishes, were easy to find online and in stores, were lightweight and fit spectacularly - and can occasionally sell for pretty big money on the secondary market in larger sizes.  I only have one pair left in nude patent, the others (black patent, red patent, blue faux suede) I wore to death, literally just completely worn out inside the uppers and outsoles.  The "Qunicy" line had a bunch of cool styles as well and I've been trying to find a replacement pair of "Tricia" teal faux suede open toe chunky heel platforms since I absolutely wore my pair out three years ago - to no avail.

Between myself, my wife and my sisters I used to spend thousands of dollars at Torrid every year.  I don't think I've spent a hundred total over the past two.  I just don't understand their current style focus as the classy pin-up style stuff they used to sell never dropped in interest or sales (I know a lot of people who have worked for Torrid for a long time), they just changed focus out of the blue.  It's funny because if you complain about it on Torrid's Facebook - you'll get a TON of supportive comments from others about the same thing - then Torrid just deletes it.

My hunch is that Torrid and others are simply following fashion into a more casual cycle. Jeans and shorts, booties and thong sandals etc. Rue 21, Forever 21, and others follow the same trend. Also the unisex or softer gender trend is effecting fashion in both men and womens lines. 

The word from my cousin at Caleres (formerly Brown Shoe Co. in St. Louis) is that shoe sales are in the doldrums. The millennials are not buying like previous generations. They are more into lifestyle than fashion and material things, so they're spending money on vacations and travel, stuff like that. The only footwear niche that is doing well is sports footwear.

I can believe it because I constantly see sales for Naturalizer, Nine West, White Mountain Shoes, and others, and it's 20-30% plus free shipping. That doesn't leave much profit!

Steve

I've actually seen Hot Topic go back to their roots in regards to footwear over the past couple years.  Torrid on the other hand has decided "hoochie bling" is their style for awhile now, nothing casual or unisex really.

5 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

The word from my cousin at Caleres (formerly Brown Shoe Co. in St. Louis) is that shoe sales are in the doldrums. The millennials are not buying like previous generations. They are more into lifestyle than fashion and material things, so they're spending money on vacations and travel, stuff like that. The only footwear niche that is doing well is sports footwear.

I can believe it because I constantly see sales for Naturalizer, Nine West, White Mountain Shoes, and others, and it's 20-30% plus free shipping. That doesn't leave much profit!

Steve

Shoe companies should take a lesson from hosiery manufacturers which saw a boom (primarily due to sale to men) in pantyhose sales, something that was also experience a big downturn, when they took their business online.  That was a completely untapped and unknown market to them until then.

Quality brands, fair prices, sizes up through 14.  The first label that does that consistently and recognizes the market is the shoe company that will boost up sales.  Nine West stands to be the best candidate in my opinion as they are decent quality at a good price, and in the case of SOME of their shoes, the sizing is already there.  If they would take a small slice out of the manufacture of sizes 5-7 and redirect that to 12-14 they would have a goldmine on their hands.

SYRO is kind of doing that but their image and advertising also has a healthy dose of "we're all gay here" or "dressing up in my moms stuff used to be such a taboo" (which I don't give two shits about, be whoever and however you want to be) and that's not what equality in regards to shoes needs, that's not going to bring about the change.  If Nine West, for instance, started pushing larger sizes and had some press releases stating that it has long been known to them that men from all walks of life and all clothing preferences shop their stores for heels (which is true) then you'd see it start to grow like wildfire.

All these shoe brands know men buy their heels.  All one needs to do is get the balls to say it and carry the harder to find sizes.

Edited by Lime15

I was thinking about this recently.  But I eventually recalled an old post from Kneehighs linking to articles describing how and why pink and blue became dedicated to boy and girls. The same applies to why clothes / toys / furniture etc. have a gender in western stores.

It appears that it is for companies to make more profit. Now that you are parents of a girl, you can throw away all the red/blue/yellow/green/Spiderman stuff you bought for your kid, and buy everything again in pink/violet/peach/etc. shades with My Little Poney graphics.

For vendors, giving up on gender differentiation to make more money seems like selling familly's jewels. A desperate move.

Reflecting to what @Gudulitooo just wrote about gender things. My mom tried for about 35 years ago buy "girl toys" for my older brother, that by the moment was 2 or 3 years old. It wasn't a hit at all. He just destroyed them, drove rally with the toy stroller and so on. It was no idea at all to be gender neutral in that case :lol::lol:

Just a funny sidenote.

Edited by swedeheeler
  • Like 1

That is not an uncommon story. When my kids were little, with no nudge from either of their parents, and no outside influences at all (this was before they went to school) they merrily trotted down the prescribed path, much to our surprise.

Maybe not. On the other side... I have been princess many times at the daycare (this was 27-28 yr ago). It was kinda free play in one room where all toys were. Some dresses hung on the wall. I used the pink one or the purple one, many times. No reflection on gender or whatsoever.

My dad used to pick me up after work, which used to be about 5 or 10 min after i pulled it on. Not a single word what i can remember. Not even now.

:lol::lol:

Edited by swedeheeler

My first bicycle was a girl's bike. It was secondhand and the only one in the shop my mother could afford. I was seven years old and so damned happy to have a bike at all I barely noticed and couldn't have cared less. I do not remember ever hearing a single word from anybody at all about it's being a girl's bike. It was my bike.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

I was thinking about this recently.  But I eventually recalled an old post from Kneehighs linking to articles describing how and why pink and blue became dedicated to boy and girls. The same applies to why clothes / toys / furniture etc. have a gender in western stores.

It appears that it is for companies to make more profit. Now that you are parents of a girl, you can throw away all the red/blue/yellow/green/Spiderman stuff you bought for your kid, and buy everything again in pink/violet/peach/etc. shades with My Little Poney graphics.

For vendors, giving up on gender differentiation to make more money seems like selling familly's jewels. A desperate move.

Did you notice how my story does not apply so well to adults ?