Double Standards in Footwear

robbiehhw

6 hours ago, Rockpup said:

This is Florida. I've worn a suit 3 times in 15 years, my wedding, a friends wedding, and court :P

I got ya beat - - - wedding - - 1986

And I'm up North.

19 hours ago, 5150PLB1 said:

In Silicon Valley that's how you can spot East Coast salesmen and religion recruiters- they wear suits and ties.

Pretty true in Oregon too - Government workers, salesmen from some place else and young guys in white shirts and ties, showing you the way to heaven.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:39 PM, Rockpup said:

This is Florida. I've worn a suit 3 times in 15 years, my wedding, a friends wedding, and court :P

You are also not required to wear a jacket and a tie. You would be if you were a professional male classical musician, even in Florida!

But while we're on the subject of fancy dress, to get back to the original subject, isn't it funny how men aren't allowed to wear open toed shoes with formal dress, and women are? I can't imagine wearing sandals with a suit and tie, much less a tuxedo. It would look funny, I should think. To be fair, in a concert-type situation, there is often a prohibition against open toed shoes for the women, as well.

Edited by mlroseplant
clarity

On 6/26/2016 at 5:52 AM, mlroseplant said:

You are also not required to wear a jacket and a tie. You would be if you were a professional male classical musician, even in Florida!

But while we're on the subject of fancy dress, to get back to the original subject, isn't it funny how men aren't allowed to wear open toed shoes with formal dress, and women are? I can't imagine wearing sandals with a suit and tie, much less a tuxedo. It would look funny, I should think. To be fair, in a concert-type situation, there is often a prohibition against open toed shoes for the women, as well.

Indeed it is almost as if sandals for men have not seen their day as formal wear since Roman times. Although in non-western societies that is not the case. In the middle east, men wear sandals.

3 hours ago, robbiehhw said:

Indeed it is almost as if sandals for men have not seen their day as formal wear since Roman times. Although in non-western societies that is not the case. In the middle east, men wear sandals.

And I think it is quite common in India for a businessman or professional man to wear a suit and sandals.   My childhood doctor, an Indian who had lived and practised in England for years, was always smartly dressed but wore sandals (barefoot) in the warmer weather - at a time when few Englishmen ever wore sandals, and certainly not without socks! 

• Like 1

Sergey Brin has been seen wearing Vibram Fivefingers and a suit many times over the years, but Google corporate culture is not traditional.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Why do men have ugly sandals, and us women have pretty ones? 

Why hey can women bare a lot of skin at work, and it's fine, but not for men. I can wear whatever I want without any grief. If they did, it would be sexual harassment. But men have limits to what they can wear. 

• Like 4

On 6/27/2016 at 3:17 PM, pumpcat said:

Why hey can women bare a lot of skin at work, and it's fine, but not for men. I can wear whatever I want without any grief. If they did, it would be sexual harassment. But men have limits to what they can wear. 

It's patriarchy and sexism. Men are seen as utilitarian traditionally and women are seen as aesthetic. How long does value last for utility as opposed to looks? Looks are arbitrary and subjective, utility is more defined and objective. This is thankfully changing. 

I remember an episode of "Seinfeld" where Elaine explained it as such. "Men have utilitarian bodies that are not meant to be seen, women have sleek elegant bodies " is the paraphrase. The writer was only parroting tradition.

Men are definitely aesthetic and women can be quite utilitarian.

It dates back to the Great Male Renunciation in the 18th century when men forswore bright colours, laces, silk stocking and the like (heels too) and adopted the more sober look that characterised the Age of Reason. Women, being regarded as foolish and frivolousness by nature, and beynd education, were exempted from this  move towards the drab. Their job was to be pretty.

Two hundred and fifty years later we have not moved very far.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

On 27-6-2016 at 6:55 PM, robbiehhw said:

That's because in the middle east shoes are seen as dirty, something to get rid off quickly when you enter a person's home, as shoes are in regular contact with the street. Which in the middle east is INDEED quite dirty. This is why comparing people to a shoe, or throwing one at a person (remember that Iraqi journalist throwing his shoes at George Bush?) is the ultimate insult in those countries. And when you have to take off your shoes a lot each time you enter a home, or the mosque, then slippers and sandals start looking mighty appealing after a while over traditional shoes that require lacing. As one who has spent time in the middle east I speak from experience here.

Nothing to do with fashion, people, all about convenience.

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/6/2016 at 0:17 AM, pumpcat said:

Most men are sweating a lot more than most women.

Don't know the reason, maybe one of those

- bulkier body / muscles = more important metabolism = more heat to be evacuated ?

- less or simpler body care (I have only one soap / shampoo, my wife reach more than 10 differents .... things) maybe not optimal for each region of the body ?

- men don't hesitate to start sweaty tasks (I'll typically take all the shopping bag in a single pass, while for the same job, my wife would look for a troller - or ask me to do it !) ?

Sweat = odor.

Sweat + dust / (natural things coming under your feet ) in a sandal = triple odor

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Au contraire

Horses sweat. Gentlemen perspire. Ladies glow.

I thought: men swear, women perspire. But all in all, we all sweat unless we are cats!

1 hour ago, pumpcat said:

I thought: men swear, women perspire. But all in all, we all sweat unless we are cats!

Everybody swears. But it is horses which sweat, gentlemen who perspire and ladies who glow! :-)

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Everybody swears. But it is horses which sweat, gentlemen who perspire and ladies who glow! :-)

Well, I glow. Okay with that. 

18 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Au contraire

Horses sweat. Gentlemen perspire. Ladies glow.

yes sorry sorry for my bad english !!

At least you confirm gentlemen and ladies' skins behave differently.

What about becoming a trans women and baring more skin ? A look at wiki perspiration and there it is: become fit, save efforts, and remove solutes more often. :cheeky:

Edited by Gudulitooo

On 7/28/2016 at 6:05 AM, Gudulitooo said:

Most men are sweating a lot more than most women.

Don't know the reason, maybe one of those

- bulkier body / muscles = more important metabolism = more heat to be evacuated ?

- less or simpler body care (I have only one soap / shampoo, my wife reach more than 10 differents .... things) maybe not optimal for each region of the body ?

- men don't hesitate to start sweaty tasks (I'll typically take all the shopping bag in a single pass, while for the same job, my wife would look for a troller - or ask me to do it !) ?

Sweat = odor.

Sweat + dust / (natural things coming under your feet ) in a sandal = triple odor

Guys have a tendency to have a higher muscle to mass ratio and muscle is more efficient and eliminating heat. One of the reasons women are always colder then men is that our fat does not heat up (or presumably cool down) as efficiently.

On 7/28/2016 at 6:05 AM, Gudulitooo said: