The Greatest - RIP

Sad to read yesterday of the passing of Muhammad Ali. He was an iconic figure in so many ways - a magnificent sportsman and an even more magnificent man. One can only hope that wherever he is now, he finds his new form pretty

In 1964, not long after he flattened Sonny Liston. And in doing so he gave up what he referred to as his 'slave name' and became Muhammad Ali. And that was that. That was his identity, who he was.  Ernie Terrell, whom he fought in 1967 continued to call him Cassius Clay - to his cost. Ali did not dispatch him quickly or nicely, delivering one hell of a beating all the while taunting Terrell in the ring, between punches, by calling out "what's my name?' I would imagine Terrell, through a haze of pain, got the point. 

Shyheels

Why are you so much in love with (Cassius Clay-Muhammad Ali). At  the time he changed his name he was suspected of using that religion

to avoid serving in the military. Slave name had nothing to do with it. When he was taken to trial for dodging the draft, slave was never mentioned.

He would not even join to be a conscientious objector. Slave my ass. He had no problem enjoying the freedoms this country provided him.

Elvis Presley served in the U.S.Army  and it didn't effect his career. PS: I also served.   spikesmike

He was 'suspected'? Really? By whom? The KKK?

he didn't run off to Canada. He paid the price of his convictions, and indeed the Supreme Court later found in his favour. He was on solid moral and legal ground.

He was a giant of a man who transcended his sport.

If you think I am odd in my reverence for such an iconic figure (and his name was Ali, there was no Clay to it, post 1964) I suggest you open a newspaper. I am in good company, plenty of it, all around the world. I might add that among Ali's many admirers and mourners you can include all the living, present and former, US Commanders in Chief.

Edited by Shyheels

Shyheels

To what commander in chief are you referring? I am only one (1) year in age difference from your great boxer. The officers I knew at the time

had little to no respect for the number one American cowered. Thousands of black soldiers who went to Vietnam lost a great deal of respect

for Clay-Ali. He was striped of his title for his actions. Alas, I must admit, he wasn't a champion for nothing.   spikesmike

Surely you are aware that the US President is also Commander in Chief of the armed forces? If you're not, he is. There are four living former presidents, and one sitting one, all of whom ave been outspoken in their admiration of Muhammad Ali. One of them, Clinton, is delivering the man's eulogy. Obama made quite a moving speech about Ali's huge contribution to society and the civil rights movement. Yet another C-in-C, President Bush, awarded Ali the Presidential Medal of Freedom - the nation's highest civilian award for meritorious service - in 2005.

I might point out - again - that the US Supreme Court, in 1971, unanimously overturned his conviction for refusing military service. He was on firm legal, moral and constitutional grounds for doing so. For him to have taken the stand he took, at the time he took it, was an act of immense moral courage - and he paid a heavy price for it. He didn't cut and run, as so many others did, but stayed and fought his way through the courts - and as with so many of the fights he entered, he won. 

As to his title, he won it back. Twice. The world has moved on greatly in the past fifty years with the overwhelming number of people having long ago come to realise what a great many people already understood way back then - that Muhammad Ali was a humanitarian and champion of the civil rights movement as well as a magnificent boxer.

Edited by Shyheels

geeez.....  relax you sphincters.....  Cassius was a good boxer and a nice guy, but he was a draft dodger....  facts are facts....  sorry....

P.S. Spikes mike...  Right  On....

P.P.S.  Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one.....

Edited by SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I see. The entire bench of the US Supreme Court is wrong, along with every single US President and Commander-in-Chief for the past 40 years, but you of course are right.

If only the US Government and rest of the world had your perspicacity...

Given your persistent use of 'Cassius Clay' to refer to Muhammad Ali, i am guessing that you must be one of those people who believe that the writer Jan Morris should always be referred to by her birth name of James, that the new bathroom laws in NC are a good thing and that Nelson Mandela, as a convicted terrorist, who never renounced violence, should have spent the rest of his days on Robben Island...

I will grant you this though - judging by the strength of your convictions, however misplaced, you certainly would have the chutzpah to strut your stuff magnificently in heels.

Edited by Shyheels

Gentlemen:   Let's behave as such.

I will give him all the credit due for his actions as a humanitarian, Civil rights activist, as a boxer, and as a true sportsman. I will not comment on his other actions as he fought his way through our legal system in an honorable way, and those who have to make those decisions have done so.

The measure of his life and actions are no longer ours to determine - - -   

• Like 1

meganiwish

Clay-ali is not punching anything, he's dead.

shyheels

You have a good knowledge of Clay-Ali . You have the right to your beliefs. Lets get together for a drink-meet when I get to England this fall.

spikesmike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spikesmike said:

meganiwish

Clay-ali is not punching anything, he's dead.

shyheels

You have a good knowledge of Clay-Ali . You have the right to your beliefs. Lets get together for a drink-meet when I get to England this fall.

spikesmike

Cheers, Spikesmike! Alas I shall most likely be in Australia come autumn. 

Edited by Shyheels

I don't know whether you are coming for business or pleasure, or whether you have been over here before, but London is a great city and I am sure you'll have a fine time. I am Australian, although based in the UK these days. I travel a hell of a lot for work and indeed this autumn will be bouncing all over Australia on various assignments.