Best shoe style for outing?

swedeheeler

I have actually thinked over it. Some day there'll be a public out and about but what is the best style to be passed w/o notice but still a heel.

In my complex brain there's thoughts 'bout cowboy style as they're heeled in mens style as well like this one Cowboy boots

Or am I thinking wrong?

I wear a pair of Diba Pilot boots, 2 3/4" heel. I wear them out quite often, many times all day. The heel is similar to a cowboy cut heel, but slimmer and taller. I have gotten comments about them twice, once from a 50 + year old customer of mine and just the other day from a check out at a chain home store. My older customer was giving me a little hard time about them, but I just owned it and told him that he should get a pair and he dropped it. The check out clerk said she liked my boots and she was tired of seeing men come in with the same old clunky work boots.

My all-time favorite go to show for any outing is Steve Madden Dejavu. Looks great with a mini skirt as well as leggings and boot cut jeans. I have them in black and taupe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MY BAD FOR NOT READING. SORRY!!!!!!   It said passed without a noticeable heels.  Those are not in that class!!!!   I do have serial pairs of different ankle boots in different colors that have a 2-3 inch block heel that really goes unnoticed. That's more my everyday go to shoe.   Otherwise,,,,, have you seen my pics!!!   I'm always out to get "noticed".  Nothing better then a miniskirt and a pair of fabulous heels!!!!!!

Again sorry for not reading the question 

CAT

I agree that boots/booties are your best bet, but tie shoes, clogs, and loafer pumps are also good choices and look unisex enough that on casual glance, few will notice (except us, of course!). :cheeky:

Steve

I'm often in a pair of RM Wiliams ankle boots with a 2.5" cuban heel and nobody seems 

to take any notice.

Edited by 4608

Yeah, the best heels for an outing are ones that you can walk in confidently, and comfortably.  Stumbling, or having to take short strides just draws unwanted attention, and kills your confidence.  You may also want to chose a pair that doesn't make a lot of clicking noise while walking, again to avoid unwanted attention. 

Needless to say, there is no hard and fast rule about what heel/style is best for comfort and confidence.  I have some boots with 5" heels that are easier to walk in then some of my regular cowboy boots.  But, usually, medium height block style heels are best for initial outings.  I agree with the choice of tighter jeans with a slight boot cut to conceal the entire heel a bit. 

It's all about confidence and being comfortable while out heeling.  Being uncomfortable, or unstable, usual causes confidence problems.  I know most of us really want to be able to strut around in powerful 5" heels confidently, but this takes time....

I don't have the Cat's nice figure and great legs, so will never to pull off any of his amazing outfits....Jealous, well sure I am, but I know he has worked very hard to build and maintain his amazing figure....

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments Don!!!   I do work hard at my figure, look, outfits, and  confidence.  It was a long road to get to where I am today but so worth it!!!

On 5/31/2016 at 4:55 PM, swedeheeler said:

what is the best style to be passed w/o notice but still a heel.

There is something wrong with the basic idea behind this thread.  Unless you just want to be taller, why wear heels at all if you really don't want to be noticed?.  I do remember many many years ago wearing knee high boots with a 2" block heel my slacks, probably so nobody would notice, and they didn't notice.  Yeah, I was getting away with wearing women's boots in public and no one noticed and if that's your goal there is already lots of good advice in this thread.  But, wearing heels is more than just "wearing women's shoes".  Heels make a fashion statement and they make a statement about you as a freestyling individual.

@CATinadvertently took this thread in a different direction with his post:

On 5/31/2016 at 7:01 PM, CAT said:

MY BAD FOR NOT READING. SORRY!!!!!!   It said passed without a noticeable heels.  Those are not in that class!!!!   I do have serial pairs of different ankle boots in different colors that have a 2-3 inch block heel that really goes unnoticed. That's more my everyday go to shoe.   Otherwise,,,,, have you seen my pics!!!   I'm always out to get "noticed".  Nothing better then a miniskirt and a pair of fabulous heels!!!!!!

Again sorry for not reading the question 

CAT

And @shyheelcommented:

On 5/31/2016 at 11:27 PM, Shyheels said:

At least he would never go home wondering if anyone noticed...

The problem is that there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't notice CAT.

I have been out many times wearing thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels and people didn't notice.  I've even been talking to people and they didn't notice my boots.

If you're going to wear heels in public, practice, practice, and practice.  Look good.  Present yourself with confidence.  After all that effort, most people won't notice, but of the few that do, most will appreciate the confident presentation, everyone else can be ignored.  The bottom line is don't worry about hiding your heels... enjoy your heels.

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I believe you. When I think about it you could probably conduct a twenty-minute conversation in a gorilla suit with some people not noticing - or else thinkng, censoriously, that you hadn't shaved that morning.

you are quite right though. If you are confident - and in the case of high heels, competant - you would get a pass on just about anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I believe you. When I think about it you could probably conduct a twenty-minute conversation in a gorilla suit with some people not noticing - or else thinkng, censoriously, that you hadn't shaved that morning.

you are quite right though. If you are confident - and in the case of high heels, competant - you would get a pass on just about anything.

rofl-misc-1.gif

I have rarely seen the concept so well stated.

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

11 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

There is something wrong with the basic idea behind this thread.  Unless you just want to be taller, why wear heels at all if you really don't want to be noticed?. 

For first timers, something subtle is probably best, then work your way up to a heel that is more towards the crazy side. Get some confidence going, then move up. Plus it is best to start out in something you know you can walk in. I can stroll around the house in 4" heels, but walking on varying surfaces messes me up. I have walked from the house to the garage and back in heels, and fell on a slick spot that never bothers in lower heels.

I remember a YouTube video of a young man walking in a mall with his girlfriend. He was wearing 3" or 4" spike heels, looked like ankle boots, and was walking like he was on ice. Not a good choice for what looked like his first time out.

I would go with some 2" - 3" wedge heels , like a dark brown or black and go with a boot cut pair of jeans . By starting out with wedges you will learn stability on different terrain . Wedges most of the time are rubber soled and way easier to walk in . It's all about practice , practice and yet more practice and the confidence will come with time . When you get a pair of heels to wear outside start by vacuuming your home , mop the kitchen and try to get some time on a stair case in them . You will learn how to turn in them and break them in and see how long you can wear them . Just an idea try a "Mary Jane" style . You could find them at Payless in the safe-t-shoes with a more aggressive sole , kinda like the ones pictured . Dark trouser socks or black tights would help hide your heels to . Best of luck !

img-thing (1).jpg

Edited by maninpumps
  • Like 1

TBG is right....We really do want to be noticed, but want positive reactions.  Needless to say, there is a certain amount of nervousness we have all endured, not wanting to stumble or attract negative attention.  Confidence is key, but that comes slowly.  Taking one of our first outings in 5" heels over skinny jeans might be more than most of us could handle, physically or emotionally, even though this is the outfit we long to wear publicly.  It is best to start slowly, freezing up, or getting caught in a negative situation is a real big set back. 

One of my best outings was when a slightly drunk guy said "great kicks" to me while we got on the elevator together.  No, my boots weren't over my skinny levis, and the heel was half covered, but his comment did a lot for my confidence.  Yeah, I know, all that should matter is how YOU feel about your appearance when wearing your favorite heels, but it sure helps if others agree!

Well. I want to start with something subtle to gain some nerves for coming along with more visible stuff as I gathering more courage. To be honest. Back in north Sweden folks are more judging for this kinda "behaviour" as many people still stuck in the 20th century.

Thats why I want some discrete to start with. But it will take a while. Have to practice more heeling.

• Like 1

These were the boots I wore for my first real public outing.  I had worn other shoes outside, but never really in public.  I went shopping with these on and thought that everyone in the world would notice, despite by long jeans that covered most of the heel.  But honestly, no one noticed that I am aware of, and if they did, nothing was said and I evoked no laughter or comments.  I eventually wore some narrower (but still chunky) and higher heels as in the second photo, and I also have had a few pairs of loafer style block heels that I wear on occasion.  As much as I'd like to wear a sexy pair of black patent pumps as in my avatar, at my age and overall appearance, it's just not going to happen...lol.  Stick with what you feel comfortable wearing - both physically and mentally.  Take it only as far as you desire to take it - that is the best advice I can offer.  The world will not end if you wear heels in public - nor will life as you know it.  

Boot.jpgDSC03141.JPG

Edited by RonC
  • Like 5

If you want to be low profile, much as I hate to say it at this time of year, your options are pretty much boots, boots, or boots. You could go with an oxford, but for better or for worse, I think boots are considered more "manly," and you can get away with a much higher heel than you could with any other style without it even registering with people. 

Yes, I can understand TBG's point, but not all of us feel like being noticed, and certainly not all of the time. I don't always have the energy to wear exactly what I want every time I want. I do wear heels every time I go out (with some special exceptions), but much of the time, I still wear the same boot-cut jeans I started with 4 years ago. Only the heels have gotten higher and more feminine.

This past year, I have put more narrowly cut pants and even shorts into the mix, but I find I am definitely noticed more when I wear these, particularly the shorts. I think the pants make more difference than the shoes. As you become more confident in your heels, you can get more daring with showing them off. 

One photo is "stealth mode," and the other is "Look at me, yes I am dressed like a Vietnamese girl going to the movies with her boyfriend, and I like it!"

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Cowhide boots

Thank you for good advices :) I'm actually checking out for those cow hair boots in black and white and ordering a 4 inch heel. If i can get'em as in image 9 they can be subtle as I having a pair bootcut jeans over the shafts. Or am I totally lost? ;)

Should i go for knee high or higher as well? I love wearing tigh high at home :)

Edited by swedeheeler

4 hours ago, swedeheeler said:

Cowhide boots

Thank you for good advices :) I'm actually checking out for those cow hair boots in black and white and ordering a 4 inch heel. If i can get'em as in image 9 they can be subtle as I having a pair bootcut jeans over the shafts. Or am I totally lost? ;)

Should i go for knee high or higher as well? I love wearing tigh high at home :)

It may be that this thread has taken a left hand turn (changed subjects suddenly). That happens sometimes. I am not sure if this is one of those times. 

I think the boots you are considering are just fine and dandy, but if you're looking for a pair of boots to wear out in public that nobody will notice, these ain't it! 

As a guy who has been wearing high heels for 25+ years, and enjoying it, I keep the heel height to around 2 or 3 inches.  Several reasons for this; I am already tall (6-3), and I love wearing high heels but don't want to attract attention to myself, I just want to enjoy the experience of wearing a gals high heel shoe - in my case mostly sandals.   When heeling I wear long pants that cover some - but not all of the sandal (see my avatar) and dress as a guy.  To me, higher heels are difficult to walk in and the thought of a 6ft 3in guy wearing 4 or 5 inch heels makes me look ridiculous, maybe more ridiculous that I already look - ha ha.  

Heeling is fun, and I like it.  Your limits for how high the heels is, how much of the shoe is exposed, etc., is a personal decision obviously and one that only you can make based on your experience and confidence.  Bottom line...  Have fun whatever type or style of heels you wear, once you get out, you won't it regret one minute.  Take care...  sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Well. To be honest. I had a small thought that they could be subtle with a bootcut jeans going over and hide pretty much. But probably i had wrong about that. Me and style does not come hand in hand. :lol:

9 hours ago, swedeheeler said:

Cowhide boots

I'm actually checking out for those cow hair boots in black and white and ordering a 4 inch heel.

Anytime you have white foorwear you are asking for a maintenance nightmare.  Ever wonder why black was so popular?

I disagree with wearing heels that blend in or will be taken as unisex from a distance. Do women wear what they wear so they can be seen as unisex? The best heels are the ones you most want to wear to reflect the mood you have that given day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thighbootguy said:

Anytime you have white foorwear you are asking for a maintenance nightmare.  Ever wonder why black was so popular?

You got a good point there actually.

There's available treatments for all types of materials, preventive protection like dirt repellant sprays.

3 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

I disagree with wearing heels that blend in or will be taken as unisex from a distance. Do women wear what they wear so they can be seen as unisex? The best heels are the ones you most want to wear to reflect the mood you have that given day.

Agree whole heartedly about trying to stand out. Let's face it sexy stiletto heels are meant to be admired and gawked upon or my case drooled upon. In some instances moods can get you arrested wearing certain things we want to complete an outfit, depending on my libido that particular day...lol...

We have to be mindful where we trek not making others to uncomfortable.  Sometimes people shrug things off what we like to wear. Other times people look as their brain are about to explode seeing certain outfits. 

Time and place for what we wear is often the best advice. Otherwise  things can be both uncomfortable for everyone including us. 

Rule l live by is never dress half ass. Always strive to the extreme rather trying to be modest or careful. Often the later appears sorry or pitiful even when woman try it.

Edited by MackyHeels
  • Like 1