Significant Difference in Heel Height

mlroseplant

A nice way of increasing costs in the industry. E.g a 1 inch dimension translates to 25,4 mm, a number a figures that calls for a precise manufacturing down to 0,1 mm !!

How do you think a chinese low cost high heel manufacturer will deal with that ? If the color is different, maybe he even uses a third set of units, who knows...

(don't try to fool me, all shoes ready to wear are manufactured to the lowest cost, regardless of how much they are sold)

Edited by Gudulitooo

I wish the US would someday go all metric to be in sync with the more advanced and enlightened countries. On a personal note, I hate having to have both a metric and non-metric hammer in my toolbox. Extra weight and all...

:-)

Steve

• Like 2

A few months ago I was speaking to a young US based engineer. She was working on instrumentation for steam turbines. I asked about units and yes, they still work with degrees Fahrenheit, pounds of steam etc. Because that's how their customers expect to see the kit described. For science and engineering I just can't see any reason to use non SI units. In the UK we're largely metric apart from a few customary uses, such as pints of beer and miles per hour. Being a little older, I can work fluently in both imperial and metric units.

Steve, if you've got a problem with your metric hammer, just go down to the stores for a long weight. That'll fix it:-)

As for shoes I really don't care whether it's a 4" or 10cm heel. There's only 1.6mm or about a sixteenth of an inch between the 2. Well within ordinary error margins for the intended use.

5 hours ago, at9 said:

As for shoes I really don't care whether it's a 4" or 10cm heel. There's only 1.6mm or about a sixteenth of an inch between the 2. Well within ordinary error margins for the intended use.

Exactly!!

21 hours ago, Cali said:

I think lbs is great for measuring weight compared to "stones"

In Australia and England we use stones pretty much only for body weight - as in I weight a too-comfortable 13st 6! It's really pretty easy to reckon.

21 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

A nice way of increasing costs in the industry. E.g a 1 inch dimension translates to 25,4 mm, a number a figures that calls for a precise manufacturing down to 0,1 mm !!

How do you think a chinese low cost high heel manufacturer will deal with that ? If the color is different, maybe he even uses a third set of units, who knows...

(don't try to fool me, all shoes ready to wear are manufactured to the lowest cost, regardless of how much they are sold)

Measuring an inch calls for an accurate measurement of an inch. It is only if you translate that inch to metric that you come up with the odd figures and the idea of measuring something to the nearest tenth of a millimetre. 

One could equally say that measuring a centimetre is awkward and silly and costly because it requires a precise measurement of 1/46 of a cubit or 1/114 of an ell!

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

In Australia and England we use stones pretty much only for body weight - as in I weight a too-comfortable 13st 6! It's really pretty easy to reckon.

The only reason why I am comfortable with stone as a unit of body weight is because I've read a ton of British murder mysteries and police procedurals! I definitely try to keep under 10 stone. :cheeky:

12 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

The only reason why I am comfortable with stone as a unit of body weight is because I've read a ton of British murder mysteries and police procedurals! I definitely try to keep under 10 stone. :cheeky:

I would like very much to be under twelve!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being British and in my fifties, I find working in metric or in imperial is a doddle.  100g is a about a quarter if you're buying tea, cheese or ham.  A metric foot is no longer an iamb or a dactyl, but 30cm.  The only difficulty is whether to use a metric doddle or an imperial doddle.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 8:33 PM, meganiwish said:

Being British and in my fifties, I find working in metric or in imperial is a doddle.  100g is a about a quarter if you're buying tea, cheese or ham.  A metric foot is no longer an iamb or a dactyl, but 30cm.  The only difficulty is whether to use a metric doddle or an imperial doddle.

The world may change completely in the twinkling of an eye, but we can always rely on Megan to clear things up straight away!