Suggestions for heel shopping in SanFran?

KneeBooted

Hi everyone. Since I am in the Bay Area for a couple of weeks for work, I decided I would look into getting some wedge ankle boots while I am out here. My question is though, if you are in the Bay Area, where would you suggest to go shopping that won't flip out when they have a guy trying on heels. I know of places such as Payless, etc., but I was wondering if there are places that are not as widespread?

I usually wear a size 10 in women's, so I don't need any specialty shop.

Most shoe store sales people won't flip out if you try on heels in their store. They will usually act very professional, ESPECIALLY in that liberal city, so you don't have a thing to worry about. Besides, they've seen it all, so you're nothing new. Macy's and Nordstrom's are good places to start, but you can find lots of boutiques, like Aerosoles for instance, with great choices in a wide variety of styles. They welcome anybody who wants to be their customer. Just start walking around. And if you shop while wearing heels, sales people will not be surprised that you want to buy more heels. It shows the sales associates that you're a serious customer and they'll give you more friendly help and good suggestions. I walked all over the city in the Aerosoles "Platonic" sandals pictured in my avatar. I never got stopped and never even detected a stare at what I was wearing, and I felt safe everywhere I went. The biggest problem was walking down some of the steep hills wearing heels. My ankles don't bend that far!

Steve

Aerosoles Platonic black in SF 1 close-up.JPG

Thanks for the heads up! Now the question is, aside from aerosoles, were there any other boutiques that you visited that had a unique selection that you couldn't find in a Macy's or Nordstrom?

I was perusing the Shoes Of Prey site again a few minutes ago, they have a store in San Francisco that would really good to check out. With moving here they have expanded to 5 locations in Nordstroms. But Nordstroms is a great place for shoe shopping anyways..see below!

Try Aerosoles (nice shoes - I have a few pair), Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Payless, and if you are down in the LA area, Marmi Shoes (they go to a size 13, are pricy but well made and excellent quality - I have a few pairs of their shoes too).....  Have fun in Frisco and the Bay Area....   Take care...  sf   

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Kneebooted,

Firstly, you are in SF don't worry about trying on shoes in a store. Wear the shoes of your choice and enjoy the experience. Paint your toes and get to it dude! I would wear wedges because of the variety of the terrain in SF. One suggestion is to head to the Haight-Ashbury section of SF. We visited the Amoeba record store at 1855 Haight Street which reminded me of the old Sam the Record Man store in Toronto from years ago and seemingly had everything ever put on vinyl. We parked on Haight Street and walked several blocks to the store. All along the street were thrift shops with all manner of clothes, shoes, wigs, and accessories at reasonable prices. SF has one of the highest ratios of thrift stores per population I have ever seen. My point: SF is a welcoming city so wear what you want and also offers lots of thrift chances to score some nice heels.

We also went to a Sharks game, a Giants game, and a 49ers game but we're big sports fans.

I drove all around SF but know the city. It can be challenging for the uninitiated. Better try the ample public transit.   Get out there and be yourself and forget about the normal self-imposed mind controls. Whatever you wear or do out there ensure it is done with confidence which tells the world " He owns it." HappyinHeels

22 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Kneebooted,

Firstly, you are in SF don't worry about trying on shoes in a store. Wear the shoes of your choice and enjoy the experience. Paint your toes and get to it dude! I would wear wedges because of the variety of the terrain in SF. One suggestion is to head to the Haight-Ashbury section of SF. We visited the Amoeba record store at 1855 Haight Street which reminded me of the old Sam the Record Man store in Toronto from years ago and seemingly had everything ever put on vinyl. We parked on Haight Street and walked several blocks to the store. All along the street were thrift shops with all manner of clothes, shoes, wigs, and accessories at reasonable prices. SF has one of the highest ratios of thrift stores per population I have ever seen. My point: SF is a welcoming city so wear what you want and also offers lots of thrift chances to score some nice heels.

We also went to a Sharks game, a Giants game, and a 49ers game but we're big sports fans.

I drove all around SF but know the city. It can be challenging for the uninitiated. Better try the ample public transit.   Get out there and be yourself and forget about the normal self-imposed mind controls. Whatever you wear or do out there ensure it is done with confidence which tells the world " He owns it." HappyinHeels

I certainly found SF a better place than LA to wear heels as a guy, when it comes to reactions.