Newbie Tips

Pointer7

Hi All,

I was looking for some tips or ideas on what to wear with my shoes?

I have been wearing black ballet flats with black tights and black jeans which hide them very well but I have bought some low wedges and Im not sure what to wear with them I want to try popping in to a shop or something but dont have the guts.... I am also going to go to the cinema and change in to heels once im in there I just like the thrill or wearing them in public but also being secretive!

If you want to be in stealth mode, try bootcut jeans which come down to a couple of cm from the floor. That's what I wear mostly, and I think it's a good look on guys. Wear a bright colored shirt so it attracts attention and nobody will notice your shoes. Contrast attracts attention, so match your jeans, wedges, and socks/tights so they're all dark.

Be careful about taking heels in a bag with you into a cinema, store, office building, or museum. Often such parcels are checked by security people, and you don't want to be answering questions that make you out to be a pervert. You're much better off to wear the heels into the cinema and "own" them outright. Nobody will question you or cause embarrassment that way. Just act confident and don't give the impression that your heart is racing, even though it is!

The first times are the hardest, but after a while you'll wonder what the fuss was all about, and you'll be kind of disappointed that people DON'T notice or say anything. Most women who notice you will smile, give you a compliment, or give you thumbs up. Men won't care. Teenage girls in groups will giggle. Don't take any of it seriously. Your shoes are your way of expressing yourself and you have every right to wear what you want. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Steve

• Like 1

Pointer.....  Ditto to what Mr. Steve has said.  I have been wearing heels (in public) for 20+ years, was nervous as heck at first, but time, age and experience has turned me into a "pro."  ha ha.....

I just arrived home from spending this beautiful spring day in heels, shoping, running errands and visiting family.   Was great!!  I wore a pair of sandals with a 2 inch slender "kitten" heel - similar to the picture in my avatar.  

The only way to get used to wearing heels in public is to just get out and do it.  You can wear longer pants to cover the heel - "stealth mode."  I generally wear denim pants with a cotton shirt - male stuff, except for the shoes!!!  Like Steve said, I would NOT bring heels to a theatre in a bag and change shoes, that might seem a bit unusual.  I have gone to many a theater in heels without any problem whatsoever..  

You will be nervous at first, it just takes time.  Most folks don't care, those who do may stare or comment, but that hardly ever happens.  If it does, just walk away - and complain to the management if it is a store / company employee.....   

Have fun.....   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Another good place to start publicly wearing heels is by finding either an LGBT resort or establishment within driving distance and go there. Places like that truly don't even look twice at what you are wearing. Even if you wanted to walk in completely cross dressed or just wearing heels you will feel much more comfortable in a place like that. 

Pointer7,

You've received three replies so far and all of them with reasonable advice based upon, in at least two cases, years of experience wearing heels. It is somewhat expected you'll want to hide your heels at first and you can do this by following the advice of Steve63130 and wearing bootcut jeans and dark colors but with a bright or other contrasting style top which diverts the attention. Over time you'll notice there is no negative reaction and no bogeyman jumping out from the bushes and you'll then want to wear higher and more obvious heels just like the women do. I started with wedges and boots in dark colors 4-5" and now wear everything from pumps and knee-high boots to wedges and platform sandals. My most common type shoe is a wedge sandal or a pump with a 5-6" heel.

What I have noticed is women are about as likely to comment first on your nail color than on any heels you may be wearing. Many guys who are at your point start with closed- toe heels in dark colors and evolve from that point. Once you start wearing open-toed sandals and heels your nail color will do much of the self-expression for you. You are going to be alive on this big blue planet a good while so enjoy it as much as you can by living on YOUR terms. HappyinHeels

• Like 1