BTBAIHeels Updates

BTBAIHeels

Well, it might not be as breaking as it is jut ordinary news. This update include: Recent whereabouts, new shoes, drivers license, school activities, and one special story.

Where have I been? Lets see here, I have been to many places in Colorado, but just recently I went to Oklahoma and did some shooting, driving, sand dunning, and the rest will be covered in a later paragraph.

For new shoes, I got a pair of Brinley Co. Women's Buckle Heeled Bootie Black on December 17th. After that I most recently got a pair of Pleaser Women's Adore-1020/B/M Boot, Black Patent. First, The Brinley Co. Bootie has a 3" heel with no platform, they are not the greatest quality that I have seen, but they are nice for fall and winter styles. Finally, The Pleaser boot have a 7" heel with a 2.5" platform, these heels are by far the best pair of heels I have owned. They are very comfortable to wear and I can easily stand on my feet all day in them. When pairing with fashion, I can wear a pair of grey skinny jeans and a black graphic tee shirt with the boots, or I could pair them with a nice skater skirt with black tights (like what Jaden Smith wears).

In January, I finished up my hours and went to my driving school to take the drivers test. I passed and got my License around the 20th. Meanwhile I was telling all my friends to stay off the road just in case (I'm not a bad driver... I promise). I have been driving to and from my work and just recently got to take my Dad's car to school as he was out of town. I have saved up a lot of money, bought a helmet and gloves, and will begin to start my motorcycle endorsement (License) course so I can buy a motorcycle by the end of summer.

As for school, I am doing a good job at keeping up with my assignments minus English, so I am passing all of the classes except English. But with English, I am pulling that grade up slowly but surely. I have submitted applications to get in to our high school's Fire Science program which is a college course for basic Fire Fighter and Paramedic skills. The other application is to an Automotive Tech course at my local Community College, where I can become a certified auto mechanic.

Finally the real reason you clicked on my post, I told my mother about me wearing heels. As the stress was building, I had to let it all go. I was half surprised at her response and half expecting it too. When I told her, she basically asked why I do it, however I failed on my part to tell her that I just like it and basically went along with some other BS. So now, I wear heels "to fill the void in a part of my life", instead of doing it because I like the way they look. Shoes are basically an art form to me, it is intriguing to me as I am a very sensual, and observant person.

With an overall conclusion, I have matured quite a bit. But I have also gained a lot of responsibility. I went from 16 to 17 with ease, but the struggle is far from over. I cant wait to hear all of your replies. If anyone has any additional questions, just comment it on the thread, and I promise I'll be quick to reply with answers.

L News,

Preston

Edited by Tech
Misleading thread title

The Brinkley bootie seems fine for everyday out and about wear.

Capture.JPG

The Pleaser is a bit more aggressive:

Capture2.JPG

4 hours ago, BTBAIHeels said:

I can wear a pair of grey skinny jeans and a black graphic tee shirt with the boots, or I could pair them with a nice skater skirt with black tights

This sounds like an interesting combination but I didn't remember you mentioning skirts in your earlier posts.  Has this topic come your with your mom?

So now, I wear heels "to fill the void in a part of my life", instead of doing it because I like the way they look. Shoes are basically an art form to me,

It strikes me that your "B.S." may have stumbled on the truth.  Most of us (readers of this forum) have some void that is filled by wearing heels and art generally requires some form of expression.

I have matured quite a bit. But I have also gained a lot of responsibility.

Wearing heels can do that to you.

I went from 16 to 17 with ease, but the struggle is far from over.

Another fine example of wisdom coming from the mouth of babes. :penitent:

It sounds like you have come quite a way on the road of life.  My advice is to think twice about the motorcycle and to add a drawing course into your educational mix.  You will learn that youth is wasted on the young, so enjoy it while you can.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi Preston,

in terms of job applications / choice, I would choose paramedic first, then firefighter, then auto mechanic (I would probably go for become a medical doctor instead of paramedic, simply because the income is higher. Radiologists have the highest income of all medical professions btw).   

I studied computer science and economics, and although I earn quite a lot of money, I often feel that what I do doesn't fulfill a higher purpose. Which means: I am doing marketing for a product that is in an oversaturated market, which people don't really need. So I develop clever ways to take away market share from a competitor's company and develop ways to improve customer service. Still... it's not as rewarding as saving a human being's life, which is what a paramedic does. At the same time, it can also be stressful for you if you see people die, which also happens even to the best paramedics.

Firefighter also is a quite honorable job in terms of saving lives, but it is also much more risky for yourself. Don't know whether this is the best choice as a job.

Auto mechanic is a job that will change tremendously in the future. The things you will learn in the next 2 - 3 years will become partly obsolete in 15 years from now, when cars are no longer powered by combustion engines, but change to electric or hydrogen. Also, cars will become much more computerized, so an education with a background in electronics / computer engineering will become more and more a pre-requisite to fixing them. I am not sure how rewarding a job as an auto mechanic is, IF you are looking to help people.

That is the order in terms of what you get out of it from a psychological perspective ("helping others"). If you look at it financially, the order is different. If you want to earn lots of money later on, go for auto mechanic. This way, you can at some point open your own car sale, rework cars you buy cheap and sell them at a higher price. Specialize in a certain field (e.g. restoration of Porsche's), and if you are clever, you can become quite wealthy.

But also be aware that car sales will probably become less in the future, as traditional models ("I own a car") will change towards a sharing economy (use a car as you go, rent it on an hourly basis), so less cars might be needed, which leads to less car sales / less auto mechanics being required.

Average salaries for the job fields you have selected:

• Automotive Service Technician: 21,544 - 59,779 USD
  • Fire Figher: 25,913 - 73,125 USD
  • Paramedic 28,049 - 58,477 USD

The median salary (if you take all different salary levels from low to high and look what the salary at 50% of all salaries is, so NOT the average, but the median), they are pretty much the same: 42K, 44K, 44K. I don't know what the tax is in the US, but here in Europe, you are paying up to 50% in taxes on your salary. Applying that to an income of 44K leaves around 22K net income to live, which is 1,833 USD per month. Please consider whether this is the level of income you are happy with - maybe also once you got a wife and kids.

One thing that you also should consider is: If you are not happy with your salary, what can you do? Which job offers you the best opportunity to still grow in 15 - 20 years time? What do you consider more important - money (income) or serving mankind ?

These are things you should consider upfront before choosing a certain job.

Sorry that I don't have anything to add regarding your heels, but I do think that the choosing a job that will be with you (probably) your whole life is way more important than your choice of footwear. It's just shoes, you know :D

Freestyle75: At least BTBAIHeels is growing up in a world far more tolerant of people who do not fall into gender norms, so that worry is nearly gone for all those jobs :)

BTBAIHeels: very cool. My mom had found out about my interest in heels but it was not seen in a very supportive light. Parents just want their kids safe and happy, and as said today the world is a far easier place then before. Btw, if things seem to be changing a lot in life, it's due to this being one of the most transformative times in life, growing into adulthood. Things do settle down a bit later :)

I am impressed that you can stay on your feet in the Pleasers all day. Be careful on uneven walkways if you venture outside, platforms are not too forgiving. 

(formerly known as "JimC")

14 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

The Brinkley bootie seems fine for everyday out and about wear.

Capture.JPG

The Pleaser is a bit more aggressive:

Capture2.JPG

This sounds like an interesting combination but I didn't remember you mentioning skirts in your earlier posts.  Has this topic come your with your mom?

It strikes me that your "B.S." may have stumbled on the truth.  Most of us (readers of this forum) have some void that is filled by wearing heels and art generally requires some form of expression.

Wearing heels can do that to you.

Another fine example of wisdom coming from the mouth of babes. :penitent:

It sounds like you have come quite a way on the road of life.  My advice is to think twice about the motorcycle and to add a drawing course into your educational mix.  You will learn that youth is wasted on the young, so enjoy it while you can.

TBG, I love how you always have something nice to say. My mom only knows about the heels for the moment. I'd like to state that I'm not trying to be cross dressing, rather I just want to express what I personally find comfortable. What's better on a hot summer day than a skirt, unless you want to argue that shorts are just as great. 

To the "B.S" I see your point that their is some truth to it, however, when saying it I was basically giving an answer that would please my mom. So I still think that it could have gone better. 

As for the 16 to 17, I can only speak from personal opinion. If you agree great, otherwise, also great.

Thanks for the input of the art suggestion, but i personally hate drawing with a burning passion. But I am creative in the way that I am producing my own music for a class called digital audio production. And for the motorcycle, it is less for transportation as it is more for messing around and having more fun outdoors and riding all the trails we have. I have thought about the whole motorcycle thing for 6+ months and I've done all my research, got insurance quotes and have my mind set.

I rode a DRZ for a few years and it was a blast. Always fun to ride from home, poke around some trails, and ride back without needing a trailer or ramp.

8 hours ago, freestyle75 said:

Hi Preston,

in terms of job applications / choice, I would choose paramedic first, then firefighter, then auto mechanic (I would probably go for become a medical doctor instead of paramedic, simply because the income is higher. Radiologists have the highest income of all medical professions btw).   

I studied computer science and economics, and although I earn quite a lot of money, I often feel that what I do doesn't fulfill a higher purpose. Which means: I am doing marketing for a product that is in an oversaturated market, which people don't really need. So I develop clever ways to take away market share from a competitor's company and develop ways to improve customer service. Still... it's not as rewarding as saving a human being's life, which is what a paramedic does. At the same time, it can also be stressful for you if you see people die, which also happens even to the best paramedics.

Firefighter also is a quite honorable job in terms of saving lives, but it is also much more risky for yourself. Don't know whether this is the best choice as a job.

Auto mechanic is a job that will change tremendously in the future. The things you will learn in the next 2 - 3 years will become partly obsolete in 15 years from now, when cars are no longer powered by combustion engines, but change to electric or hydrogen. Also, cars will become much more computerized, so an education with a background in electronics / computer engineering will become more and more a pre-requisite to fixing them. I am not sure how rewarding a job as an auto mechanic is, IF you are looking to help people.

That is the order in terms of what you get out of it from a psychological perspective ("helping others"). If you look at it financially, the order is different. If you want to earn lots of money later on, go for auto mechanic. This way, you can at some point open your own car sale, rework cars you buy cheap and sell them at a higher price. Specialize in a certain field (e.g. restoration of Porsche's), and if you are clever, you can become quite wealthy.

But also be aware that car sales will probably become less in the future, as traditional models ("I own a car") will change towards a sharing economy (use a car as you go, rent it on an hourly basis), so less cars might be needed, which leads to less car sales / less auto mechanics being required.

Average salaries for the job fields you have selected:

• Automotive Service Technician: 21,544 - 59,779 USD
  • Fire Figher: 25,913 - 73,125 USD
  • Paramedic 28,049 - 58,477 USD

The median salary (if you take all different salary levels from low to high and look what the salary at 50% of all salaries is, so NOT the average, but the median), they are pretty much the same: 42K, 44K, 44K. I don't know what the tax is in the US, but here in Europe, you are paying up to 50% in taxes on your salary. Applying that to an income of 44K leaves around 22K net income to live, which is 1,833 USD per month. Please consider whether this is the level of income you are happy with - maybe also once you got a wife and kids.

One thing that you also should consider is: If you are not happy with your salary, what can you do? Which job offers you the best opportunity to still grow in 15 - 20 years time? What do you consider more important - money (income) or serving mankind ?

These are things you should consider upfront before choosing a certain job.

Sorry that I don't have anything to add regarding your heels, but I do think that the choosing a job that will be with you (probably) your whole life is way more important than your choice of footwear. It's just shoes, you know :D

Hey FS75, thanks for the reply! On terms of the career, I could literally go either way as I enjoy both strongly. First Fire Fighting as I get to help people out which is something I have always done since I was little, I enjoy the aspect of running into a burning building to save sone one else's life. Talk about a major adrenaline rush! The thing about the course is now in order to become a Fire Fighter, you also have to do basic paramedic training too. With this career, I could earn anywhere from 20k to 75k per year in my area as you said.

With being an Automotive tech, I am a very hands on person -drawing. So working with/on cars is like bliss to me. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty either. I have past experienceseveral with installing car stereo systems, I've done break changes and interior remodeling also. I also have been keeping up with the evolving technology in cars, which is also covered in the course. For a salary, I could be earning anywhere from 30k to 95k per year. 

And if all else fails, I can be a wind mill farm tech, I hear they pull in a nice 20k per year plus traveling with the job.

Thanks for your input,

Preston

12 minutes ago, Rockpup said:

I rode a DRZ for a few years and it was a blast. Always fun to ride from home, poke around some trails, and ride back without needing a trailer or ramp.

I plan on either a Yamaha wr450f or a Honda grom 

9 hours ago, BTBAIHeels said:

Thanks for the input of the art suggestion, but i personally hate drawing with a burning passion. But I am creative in the way that I am producing my own music for a class called digital audio production.

What I was going for was to be sure you had some creative vent.  I'm currently using music (guitar) for mine but I can only stress how important it is to have some way of nurturing and venting your creative juices.  As for drawing, I didn't think I would like it either, but after taking a class I fell in love with the process.  Although the class is called "drawing", it is really about seeing.  The actual putting something on paper is only 10% of the craft, seeing, both visually and in your mind, is the other 90%. It's a skill worth having.

9 hours ago, BTBAIHeels said:

I have thought about the whole motorcycle thing for 6+ months and I've done all my research, got insurance quotes and have my mind set.

I do understand wanting a motorcycle but as George Bernard Shaw once wrote, “Youth is the most precious thing in life; it is too bad it has to be wasted on young folks.”  

Make sure you have a good helmet. :penitent:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well...

Motorcycling then. If you keep in mind that all others out in traffic are completley numbskulls that wants you dead, AND driving with sense you'll come far with your mc driving.

One of my friends did'nt have those thoughts. With a fresh mc licence he drove like crazy and crashed against a car trailer and then he went six feet under.

BTBAIH

I wish I had 1/4 of your good sense and courage when I was your age.  You must feel so relieved, and empowered, letting your Mom know about heeling. 

Everyone offers sound career advice, finding a balance between doing something you love and earning a decent living is the key.  Take advantage of EVERY educational opportunity that comes your way.  There is no reason why you can't be a firefighter and a competent auto technician.   Starting saving for the future YESTERDAY!  The years go by quickly buddy, and we can be  pretty good at justifying that we will "start saving tomorrow". 

I surely understand the motorcycle thing, still wish I had one, but am a little too old now.  But, like everyone has said, you need to drive so defensively, almost as if no other driver can see you, which is fairly true.  Needless to say, alcohol and motor vehicles do not mix. 

I envy you buddy, your whole life is in front of you, go for it!  Be a good person to all those around you, and good things will come your way!

Preston,

There's a lot of good advice here, but I'll add one more. You may not like English class, but writing is an extremely important skill in ANY job you ever have, and the better you can express yourself, the farther your career will go. I have worked with a lot of engineers, scientists, and technicians in my career, and believe me, the ones who are successful are the ones who can write clear, concise, reports on their work. So you may not appreciate English right now, but it will come in VERY handy when you enter the job market and become the one picked for a promotion! Study hard and learn to write well. Good luck!

Steve

May I suggest an article published some years ago:  "How to Write Good," by Michael O'Donoghue....   Good solid basic advice for the beginning writer....  

Take care...   sf  

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

BTBAI, might I suggest from the experience of having been in the EMS sector (14yrs ambulance company, emt) to go for ff/paramedic.  A lot of departments have either an paramedic ambulance or engine/squad.  This way you can start from that level and go upward.  A good friend of my wife and I hired on with our local department and had made captain finally.  My 2 cents

On 4/7/2016 at 5:06 AM, Thighbootguy said:

What I was going for was to be sure you had some creative vent.  I'm currently using music (guitar) for mine but I can only stress how important it is to have some way of nurturing and venting your creative juices.  As for drawing, I didn't think I would like it either, but after taking a class I fell in love with the process.  Although the class is called "drawing", it is really about seeing.  The actual putting something on paper is only 10% of the craft, seeing, both visually and in your mind, is the other 90%. It's a skill worth having.

I do understand wanting a motorcycle but as George Bernard Shaw once wrote, “Youth is the most precious thing in life; it is too bad it has to be wasted on young folks.”  

Make sure you have a good helmet. :penitent:

TBG, I made sure to get a good helmet, and it is DOT certified

On 4/7/2016 at 8:57 AM, swedeheeler said:

Well...

Motorcycling then. If you keep in mind that all others out in traffic are completley numbskulls that wants you dead, AND driving with sense you'll come far with your mc driving.

One of my friends did'nt have those thoughts. With a fresh mc licence he drove like crazy and crashed against a car trailer and then he went six feet under.

I understand that there are people out to kill me, thats also why ill be taking a defensive biking course also.

On 4/7/2016 at 2:03 PM, pebblesf said:

BTBAIH

I wish I had 1/4 of your good sense and courage when I was your age.  You must feel so relieved, and empowered, letting your Mom know about heeling. 

Everyone offers sound career advice, finding a balance between doing something you love and earning a decent living is the key.  Take advantage of EVERY educational opportunity that comes your way.  There is no reason why you can't be a firefighter and a competent auto technician.   Starting saving for the future YESTERDAY!  The years go by quickly buddy, and we can be  pretty good at justifying that we will "start saving tomorrow". 

I surely understand the motorcycle thing, still wish I had one, but am a little too old now.  But, like everyone has said, you need to drive so defensively, almost as if no other driver can see you, which is fairly true.  Needless to say, alcohol and motor vehicles do not mix. 

I envy you buddy, your whole life is in front of you, go for it!  Be a good person to all those around you, and good things will come your way!

Thanks Pebblesf! Courage yes, relieved yes, empowered no. to explain this, basically i feel much more awkward around her.

22 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Preston,

There's a lot of good advice here, but I'll add one more. You may not like English class, but writing is an extremely important skill in ANY job you ever have, and the better you can express yourself, the farther your career will go. I have worked with a lot of engineers, scientists, and technicians in my career, and believe me, the ones who are successful are the ones who can write clear, concise, reports on their work. So you may not appreciate English right now, but it will come in VERY handy when you enter the job market and become the one picked for a promotion! Study hard and learn to write well. Good luck!

Steve

I am doing my best to pass English at the moment, and thank you for providing me with your experiences. 

18 hours ago, SF said:

May I suggest an article published some years ago:  "How to Write Good," by Michael O'Donoghue....   Good solid basic advice for the beginning writer....  

Take care...   sf  

I will make sure to check the article out. Thanks SF!

9 hours ago, DProud2700 said:

BTBAI, might I suggest from the experience of having been in the EMS sector (14yrs ambulance company, emt) to go for ff/paramedic.  A lot of departments have either an paramedic ambulance or engine/squad.  This way you can start from that level and go upward.  A good friend of my wife and I hired on with our local department and had made captain finally.  My 2 cents

Thanks DProud, i do have my mind set on fire fighter or auto mechanic though.

32 minutes ago, BTBAIHeels said:

, i do have my mind set on fire fighter or auto mechanic though.

At 16 going on 17 you are too young to have your mind "set" on anything.  You should have plans and goals but don't lock yourself into anything that will keep you from taking advantage of unexpected opportunities (that drawing might let you see :fine:). Save that mindset until your in your 80's.

Ah... the Peter Pan Syndrome (I won't grow up...).  I suffer from the same affliction.  However since I've retired from IT, I've decided to be a guitar player.

First man is welcomed to heaven by St. Peter.

SP: Welcome to heaven

1st man: Thanks

SP: So how much did you earn per year in your job on earth?

1st man: about $250,000

SP: What work did you do?

1st man: I was a doctor.

SP: Ah, welcome. Take that first door.

Next man approaches.

SP: Welcome to heaven.

2nd man: Thanks

SP: So how much did you earn per year in your job on earth?

2nd man: About $100,000

SP: what work did you do?

2nd man: I was an IT guy.

SP: Ah, welcome. Take that second door.

Next man approaches.

SP: Welcome to heaven.

3rd man: Thanks.

SP So how much did you earn per year in your job on earth?

3rd man: About $8,000

SP: Oh, really? What instrument did you play?

:-)

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@BTBAIHeels

In the theme of this discussion, I ran across a video interview with Jan Abumrad, the creative genius behind the sound of the radio program "Radiolab", on The Function of Music.  The editing in the video is extraordinary! 

Enjoy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 8:07 PM, BTBAIHeels said:

Thanks DProud, i do have my mind set on fire fighter or auto mechanic though.

Many fire departments do 24 on/ 48 off shifts making it very possible to have a second part-time position also - such as auto technician - very few "mechanics" left due to computerization.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Here is my 2 cents . If you have to get dirty working in a trade . Don't do it , auto mechanic , diesel tech , maint. tech or plumber to name a few . I am sitting here  typing "pecking" with 2 sore hands from injuries acquired from working in the roll mill and some scares from chemical burns . My breathing is hard sometimes from oil coolants (years ago). Here is a good idea from a crotchety mean ole' guy : learn to like English and sitting at a desk . Working with your back and hands will bring nothing but low wages and a worn out body . Listen to what these guys in here are saying we have been there and one day you will be to . I want to tell you a short story about 3 boys who were best friends from grammar school to present day . One became a Lawyer and is doing great with no issues and one is general contractor and I chose a vocation . I bet you can figure out witch one of the three could not sit at the desk . The Pleaser boots are nice looking . Wise move telling your mother .  I wish you the best of luck in the future and most of all be safe . 

Respectfully , MIP

2 hours ago, maninpumps said:

Here is my 2 cents . If you have to get dirty working in a trade . Don't do it , auto mechanic , diesel tech , maint. tech or plumber to name a few . I am sitting here  typing "pecking" with 2 sore hands from injuries acquired from working in the roll mill and some scares from chemical burns . My breathing is hard sometimes from oil coolants (years ago). Here is a good idea from a crotchety mean ole' guy : learn to like English and sitting at a desk . Working with your back and hands will bring nothing but low wages and a worn out body . Listen to what these guys in here are saying we have been there and one day you will be to . I want to tell you a short story about 3 boys who were best friends from grammar school to present day . One became a Lawyer and is doing great with no issues and one is general contractor and I chose a vocation . I bet you can figure out witch one of the three could not sit at the desk . The Pleaser boots are nice looking . Wise move telling your mother .  I wish you the best of luck in the future and most of all be safe . 

Respectfully , MIP

I Have had both jobs over the years. Desk/office and labor/trades. Both have their disadvantages, but office folks tend to live a bit longer, and don't look like they have been beat up as much. Office work tends to pay better unless you get into a speciality trade.

On 4/6/2016 at 1:37 AM, BTBAIHeels said:

I have submitted applications to get in to our high school's Fire Science program which is a college course for basic Fire Fighter and Paramedic skills. The other application is to an Automotive Tech course at my local Community College, where I can become a certified auto mechanic.

Folks - I don't think the choices here are as simple as Desk/office or labor/trades. There are some folks that like being a position of "being a helper to others" from which great satisfaction is gotten by helping others.  Being a Fire Fighter and Paramedic falls into this category. Preparation for either of these jobs is a commitment and the jobs require skill and dedication.  In today's world, being an auto mechanic is also skilled job.  None of these jobs are "learn it once and your done", rather they all require constant study to stay current with the ever changing technology.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to advise a group of high school student in career opportunities.  I think I horrified the school's counselor staff (they never invited me back) then I told the kids to "Pay attention to what you really enjoyed doing, and then find someone who will pay you to do it".  I also talked about reading a lot and watching less TV, but I really meant what I had said.  I thoroughly enjoyed the work I was doing as a Data Base Administrator and actually looked forward to going to work.

If @BTBAIHeels finds something he really likes... he should go for it and do it as well as it can be done.

• Like 3

I could never sit at a desk each day. Some of my work days suck, but I get to feel like I've gotten something done each day. It's a family business and I have 25 years in. We do good work and I make a comfortable living. Find a job you enjoy, it makes the good and the bad days better :)

16 hours ago, Rockpup said:

I could never sit at a desk each day. Some of my work days suck, but I get to feel like I've gotten something done each day. It's a family business and I have 25 years in. We do good work and I make a comfortable living. Find a job you enjoy, it makes the good and the bad days better :)

Spot on - - My work splits between desk, shop floor, and field work which includes travel. Gives me a mix which changes things up.

Old timer machinist once told me   ""If you can't have fun, then it really does become a job.""   and it's true. If you don't enjoy what you do, or don't have some fun once in awhile, your gonna be a grumpy, pissed off employee nobody wants to work with, and it will affect you pay wise, and advancement wise too.

Something else to think about. A vast majority of people don't work in the field they went to college or trade school for. It may not be drastic, but chances are, you will drift toward a similar field not what you thought you would be doing.

Example: I work with a young guy who did Vocational agriculture in High School (FFA) and has a 2 year degree in Engineering Technologies. He is now a CNC Machinist and Steel Mill equipment Assembler. He's also a part time farmer (small family farm) and plays around with older tractors and pulling trucks. Granted, we are in an area with limited job opportunities, but he never thought he would be doing what he does now.

Point is - - whatever you think you want to do may not be what you end up doing. You never stop learning, and if you do, your stuck, and in the U.S. job market, that alone will kill you when it comes to job opportunities.

Good point, Heelster! I got an education in geology, then drifted into computers and business, then automation technology and project management in the fiberglass insulation biz, general management of a lab instruments manufacturer, plastics consulting, and finally online retailer of hosiery, and operating a part-time bed and breakfast. I've enjoyed and been challenged by every thing I've done, worked with great people along the way, forgot about the dodos, and had fun. Sometimes I made money, but sometimes I didn't. Life has been a good journey so far, and now I'm doing it in heels!

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Good point, Heelster! I got an education in geology, then drifted into computers and business, then automation technology and project management in the fiberglass insulation biz, general management of a lab instruments manufacturer, plastics consulting, and finally online retailer of hosiery, and operating a part-time bed and breakfast. I've enjoyed and been challenged by every thing I've done, worked with great people along the way, forgot about the dodos, and had fun. Sometimes I made money, but sometimes I didn't. Life has been a good journey so far, and now I'm doing it in heels!

Steve

Like Steve, I studied geology, althought I have never worked as a geologist. Instead I became a magazine writer and photographer. It has been a career that has taken me all over the world, on someone else's nickel, and been a healthy mix of sitting at a desk, pecking at a keyboard, and being 'out in the field'. The pay...well, it has certainly not been brilliant, but when I am in my 80s, living in a cold water garret, and eating catfood by the light of a guttering candle, at least I will have a lifetime of colourful memories to look back upon...