How Many is Too Many

Jkrenzer

I finally decided take stock in my current inventory of heels. The 1st picture is my closet which represents the shoes I wear most frequently. The remaining are the huge stock that I still wear from time to time but not very often. This result has got me thinking how many really is too many? I do believe I have surpassed that point. I now have 360 pair of shoes and boots. Of those likely 120 are 5" or above, pretty much all I wear any more, 50 or so are less the 4", and the rest somewhere in between. I guess I am addicted to high heels, stilettos specifically. I keep telling myself at least its not drugs.

I always buy and sell but have really gone over the edge. Many (most) of the shoes pictured will make it to E-Bay over the next couple years and at a pretty good bargain. The brands 1969 (my current favorite), Pleaser, Nine West, and Guess make up about 50-75% of my stock, the rest are all over the place.

Joe :-)

P4020005.jpg

P4020006.jpg

P4020007.jpg

P4020008.jpg

P4020009.jpg

P4020010.jpg

• Like 5

Ya Joe, awesome collection for sure! Good for you, you are so right " at least it is not drugs". One pair a day all year long..cool.

Sometimes I wonder if shoes are not drugs, they make you feel good, easier to find, they do make a person wobbly once in awhile, but the big benefits are it is totally legal so you won't go to jail in most parts of the world. Shoes are very liberating and gives one confidence. I'd rather shop than get caught with drugs. Thanks for sharing.

I guess by the early responses that with this crew, which I count myself as one, I really don't have too many. Either way I will be selling off about 200 pair. As I said I really do seem to stick to about 75 pair that I mostly wear. 

I wear a size 10 to 11 depending on the fit. 

I dont see the problem! :cheeky: I've got about 85 pair at the moment so can't comprehend a collection of that size though. Usually when I get bored with a pair or they don't fit as well as I thought I sell them or give them to my friend. She's gotten about 15 pairs or so over the years. There's a few that I don't wear but can't get rid of for sentimental reasons. 

2 hours ago, Cl0setheels said:

I dont see the problem! :cheeky: I've got about 85 pair at the moment so can't comprehend a collection of that size though. Usually when I get bored with a pair or they don't fit as well as I thought I sell them or give them to my friend. She's gotten about 15 pairs or so over the years. There's a few that I don't wear but can't get rid of for sentimental reasons. 

Sentimental reasons is what got me into this predicament in the first place. Give it some time you may yet be in my shoes, no pun intended. 

I understand the desire to buy shoes that are styled to your liking.  But, it is really too bad you can only one pair at a time and most pairs in your collection won't ever become worn out.  Now, if you wore heels out and about as your regular footwear, then you might more pleasure from owning them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

20 minutes ago, mwhh said:

I understand the desire to buy shoes that are styled to your liking.  But, it is really too bad you can only one pair at a time and most pairs in your collection won't ever become worn out.  Now, if you wore heels out and about as your regular footwear, then you might more pleasure from owning them.

I do have several pair that are or are being worn out. The addiction stems from always finding another must have pair. But when all is said and done there are about 20 or so that I usually end up wearing out and about. Over about a year that 20 pair is replaced with another 20 pair and then they become the sentimental ones. 

That is indeed an impressive collection!  I like the concept of a different pair every day.  I can do that with boots for about a month. :penitent:

@mtnsofheelsposted a note that is worth repeating:

7 hours ago, mtnsofheels said:

Sometimes I wonder if shoes are not drugs, they make you feel good, easier to find, they do make a person wobbly once in awhile, but the big benefits are it is totally legal so you won't go to jail in most parts of the world. Shoes are very liberating and gives one confidence. I'd rather shop than get caught with drugs.

There is a lot of wisdom in this note that we should all take to heart.

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Ok now I don't feel so bad with mine.

I haven't counted them all up yet but still I am over 300 wont know till the end

Trying not to get any more

I may have an E bay or Poshmark sale after also

Wow that's a lot of high heels !!!!   And I thought I had a lot at about 25 pair.  Maybe I will post a pic of my (puny) collection....  ha ha...  Take care, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hi Joe,

I am at 152 pairs now, and I do think they are too many. At an average price of 460 USD though, I won't be putting any of them on ebay. Yes, even I still look at new ones and still buy new ones... but then again, I know that it's already past the mark where it is really healthy. But: I do wear all of my pairs out once in a while, so these are not only placed in a shelf to look at.

With the collection you have, I would ask myself: How many do you really still wear? How many can you get rid of?

Apart from the sheer volume, I wonder how much you can really care for over 300 pairs of shoes. Leather requires some maintenance, even if not worn. It becomes dry over time, so a replenishing cream is useful to keep its softness. Otherwise, the leather may become brittle, the shoes break and become unusable. All of my 152 pairs still look very much new, as - before I wear them (and after I wear them and store them away) - they will undergo a "care" routine. This might be the full program or just a light buffing, but this way they keep their look. Do you use some sort of care routine for your shoes as well?

An impressive collection nonetheless. Do you also have as many clothes or is it "just" shoes?

Well, that surely is an amazing collection.  Surely not too many, if you still enjoy wearing most of them.  To me, it is very enjoyable to "rediscover" a pair of boots I haven't worn/seen in a long time.  But, on the other hand, there is no sense in keeping pairs that you no longer enjoy wearing. 

Please let me/us know if you would like to sell any of your boots, I surely would enjoy wearing them!

Don

Freestyle75 that's why I refer to it as an addiction. I have worn each pair but I have an insatiable appetite for sexy shoes. I don't spend anywhere near the kind of cash you do as the most expensive pair I have cost me $175 and those were over the knee leather stiletto boots. Less than half of my shoes are actually leather too. 

I don't wear clothes from the other side of the aisle, I'm not really interested and pretty sure they wouldn't go well with my beard. I simply love heels.

I do keep them in a UV  free zone and they seem to hold up pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Jkrenzer said:

I don't wear clothes from the other side of the aisle, I'm not really interested and pretty sure they wouldn't go well with my beard. I simply love heels.

Beards and women's jeans go great together - For me it's mid and low rise - skinny, boot and flare.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just inventoried my shoes for the first time in quite a while, and I have 49 pairs, up from 33 pairs a year and a half ago, which was the last time I carefully inventoried my shoes Jeff B style. 

The increase is not simply additive, I have purged about 10 pairs, mainly due to fit issues that I could not resolve. 

The main thing I noticed about my collection is that the average height of my heels has risen slowly but surely, and the number  of stiletto heels in my collection has increased dramatically. Pictured below is my collection. I don't feel it's too many, as I wear them all regularly as the season dictates, save two pairs of sandals, which I feel are too radical, even for me, to wear in public, and one pair of oxfords, which are too high for me to walk in gracefully. I'm workin' on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2

Amazing collection. May I make a suggestion? Turn ONE of each pair around so the the front of the shoe is facing you, and re-take the pics. That way we can get to see (and drool) over the shoes even better, both back and front. We can only imagine what the entire shoe looks like, but from the back it would apprear that the front of the shoes would be well worth looking at.

Steve

• Like 1