Chicago Shoe Store Reaches Out

HappyinHeels

Hi All,

Talked to a friend of mine, Gary Page who owns Skyscraperheels, who had mentioned the idea of having monthly "heel meets" as a friend of his has space near the corner of North and Western Avenues in Chicago. I visited his store last Saturday the 5th to ask him more about this keeping in mind this forum. He reiterated the idea and I said I would then pass the information along to measure possible interest among those living within 100 mies/161 km of Chicago though there may be some interest beyond that. Gary stated such an event would probably be held on a Saturday as I said Friday is a notoriously bad traffic day to anyone who has been in Chicago knows. There would be a  small charge to keep it private which means those who attend could bring your power heels. I said I'd mention it here and people should either watch his website, skyscraperheels.com, or call the store in the coming weeks at 866-SKY-HEELS or 773-477-8495 for more information. I hope this indeed happens so I'm alerting you all now it may start happening in April. Our members would feel at home in his store and I imagine a  "heel party" would be sweet therapy for any who attended. I placed this information in this section as it is not definite yet and figured more would actually see it here.

HappyinHeels

• Like 4

highheel999,

If it does take place then you could wear those amazing avatar heels! Those are definitely my kind of heels. I'm trying to mesure possible interest and will soon call Gary and tell him how many replies I have gotten. I've encouraged him to join this site but he is uncomfortable with his computer skills. He loves to talk all about heels on the phone though.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

I keep meaning to stop by that shop, but I've not had a rental car up there for several years. The curse of having good friends not into heels there :P

• Like 1

(formerly known as "JimC")

Now that there's been some replies I'll call him to report what I have seen in the hopes he'll take the next step and book the space and then put that information on his website or at least I could tell you all to call the store.  HappyinHeels

• 4 months later...

All,

Nothing has developed on this as Gary has not been well recently.  I saw him at his store in Chicago in mid-July and he told me he hasn't been able to visit his property in northern Wisconsin since April and even had to postpone getting together with me at our property just this past weekend because he needs a little more recuperation time. This topic didn't specifically come up but a health issue becomes a mobility issue which expalins everything else. I will bring it up very soon as I know it's something he wants to do so just stay tuned.

I last saw him at his store on 14 July and a guy named "MIke"came by around 3 pm and when I mentioned hhplace Mike said he had learned of it at Gary's store but not from Gary so I'm thinking this is someone I may have seen before. He said he's not a member but just lurks. I encouraged him to join but doubt he will soon. It goes to show you just how elusive contact can be with like-minded people.

HappyinHeels

• 8 months later...

All,

First wrote about this in March of 2016 and there is news on it. Gary mentioned to me in March he is working with someone in the community, both senses of the word, to get a space which could accommodate at least 25-30 people near the corner of North Avenue (1600N) and Western Avenue (2400W) in Chicago. The proposed get togethers would probably be on a Saturday since trying to get anywhere into the city on Fridays is ill-advised. I believe it would be a private affair like our Halloween parties were so you could wear magnificent clothes, fabulous heels, and smoke to your heart's content. As things come together I will write more. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Hmmmmm.....   Sounds like it would be a lot of fun.  To bad I live on the west coast....  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

To all heelers

I have been to high heel meets in Chicago.  However, my last meet was some years ago. 3-2-2013. Iloveboots was also there at the time,

bernheels too. I am ready for a meet, even if I am the only one there.      spikesmike

DSCF5200 (1).JPG

• Like 4

All,

Gary visited me while we both were at our lands in far northern Wisconsin. His tree farm is 24 miles/39 km from my land which is both pastures and forest. He stated the meetings may initially take place in his store at 2202 W. Belmont in Chicago. If interest grows, as evidenced by attendance, then he'll try to acquire the space I spoke of before at the corner/near the corner of North and Western Avenues in Chicago. I'm trying to get him to join this forum but he is a little lazy at techno stuff. I said the sooner you join the forum the sooner you may see some measurable increase in sales. That got his attention. I want to push him so he sees the value in this community. HappyinHeels

• Like 2

Rockpup,

Even if don't have friends there you can still taxi your way to the store from O'Hare Field or take the "Blue Line"  to the Damen stop and walk to the store. Also CTA bus#77 runs the length of Belmont Avenue. Your desire backed up with your wallet, or purse, is all which is required.

I stopped by Janet's Closet in suburban Detroit on my way to Quebec in early April since it was a chance I didn't want to waste. Got to the store around 1330 (EST) and walked in wearing a unisex sweater, bootcut jeans, and my cognac Soda wedges (6") with a matching handbag and looked around. An hour later I was presenting myself to CBSA as I crossed into Ontario. I spent the night in Oshawa, ON hoping to meet one of our members but it didn't materialize. If I hadn't stopped by the store I would have lost the chance for some shopping fun which is why we all tell our stories here. If you already get around then work these places you want to see into your itinerary and make it happen.

As for the rest wanting a calendar date I get it. It will happen in good time but I will tell him there is interest so HE needs to make it happen. Particularly when some are willing to come over a decent distance. "Stay heeled my friends"!  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

I feel like I'm trying to put a finger in the dam. Let me call him so I can convey how he opened his mouth and presented an idea and then I transmitted that idea to an audience which is interested. I'd think especially if he starts  the first ones at the store that would be easy. I do want him to successfully join this site. I tried the last time I was at his store but we didn't get a validation code before I had to leave and he didn't try again. Let me work on this. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Just throwing an idea out if anyone wants to stay in Chicago. My GF and I stayed on off Michigan Ave in a 4 star hotel a couple of blocks from water tower place for 89 bucks off Groupon orbitz or Travelocity.  I think it would be fun to check in with a few of you around 3, hang shop whatever and then head out to skyscrapers store for the gathering.  We could always find a place to eat.   Sunday we could do a simple Starbucks or breakfast before checking out after lunch.   All of his would be done in heels of course!!!   

Thoughts ????!!!!??

CAT:     What do you mean ( All of this would be done in heels of course. ) ? Are you implying that there are people

who do not wear high heels?  I would be driving over from Columbus, Ohio in stilettos. It is almost to a point where

I don't wear ugly shoes anymore.    spikesmike

DSCF5239.JPG

• Like 8

4 hours ago, spikesmike said:

CAT:     What do you mean ( All of this would be done in heels of course. ) ? Are you implying that there are people

who do not wear high heels?  I would be driving over from Columbus, Ohio in stilettos. It is almost to a point where

I don't wear ugly shoes anymore.    spikesmike

DSCF5239.JPG

Spikesmike,

I don't think anything should be done in flats anymore!!!   I wish my day to day would be in heels.   I can only tell you that when(not if) we get the daye nailed down it will be heels for 3 days as I will prob start on Friday!!!!

awsome pic too!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAT said:

I don't think anything should be done in flats anymore!!!  

I can think of a few

- Downhill skiing (can't find those boots)

- Walking on the beach (doesn't work - tried)

- High hurdles

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1