What to choose and how to measure

Newkid

I haven't posted in a while I'm finally going to get around to purchase some boots or heels would ugg type boots be a good starter boot since I'm new to this or should I go for something else also what is the best way to measure you feet at home for heels I don't want to buy the wrong pair since I'm going to just buy some online because of conevance and also I don't have time during the week or weekend to go to a shoe store to try some on.

8 hours ago, Newkid said:

I'm going to just buy some online because of conevance and also I don't have time during the week or weekend to go to a shoe store to try some on.

If you don't have time to stop in a shoe store, then do you have time to wear heels?  My strongest recommendation is to stop in a Payless shoe store and try something on. Your probably a gals size 12 so there will be a limited selection available to you anywhere but Payless carries 12's.  Find some time and try on a pair before you order stuff on-line, it will save a lot of frustration.  Also shopping at Payless is a great experience as the staff knows that guys buy their larger sizes and treats guys as just another customer.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Newkid,

Thighbootguy is right! Because you're so new at this it  is not a good idea to start buying online because you simply don't know what you're getting into. There is much variation in how shoes fit from different manufacturers, color, even time of day that you are trying them on so TBG's advice to head to a Payless store to try on some shoes is extremely valuable. The shoes are very inexpensive and the sales staff are very accommodating to men. Learn something now.....be honest in your dealings with sales staff as women particularly will figure out you are shopping for yourself. You will feel better and they will give you better service. Try on something sensibly low and in a neutral color. It could be a wedge sandal or a pump and see what you think in the mirror. The optic of your feet in heels will take getting used to but it will happen. a men's 10 is roughly equivalent to a women's 12 but actually trying shoes on, instead of buying on the internet, is the best way of making sure. You may find you can fit into size 11 heels and that opens more possibilities. Fit into a 10 and half the shoe universe opens up. Stop into a Payless and look confident like you belong there and the rest should go well. Please reply back with your results because that's why we're here!  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

I would agree with the above advice in general, but I have the following personal experience to add:

My first few pairs of heels (and by "heels" I mean clog-style shoes with 2.5 - 3" heels) came from self-service, low-end shoe stores, where I would furtively take something off the shelf that I halfway liked, jam my foot into it to see that it halfway fit, and quickly head to the checkout counter to make my escape. Unfortunately, this method worked little better than simply ordering something off the internet, which is how I've purchased 98% of my shoes since. The problem, at least for me, was this: I usually wore a 7.5 or 8 in U.S. men's shoes, and I assumed that this translated into 9.5 or 10 women's, and that's where I used to start when trying on "women's" shoes. What happened to me the first few times is that, after only a short distance of walking, the shoes would suddenly become quite large! This was because, having no previous experience in the real world, I didn't take into account the elevated heel, and the physical fact that your feet are going to slide forward somewhat. So I would resort to things like stuffing rags or newspaper in the toes to make them wearable. Not really a very happy situation for long term comfort.

Today, I have learned that at least for me, I need to start with a size 9 for closed-toed shoes, and 8.5 for sandals. Those sizes may not be quite correct for every shoe and every brand, but they're a lot closer than what I guessed would fit 4 years ago when I started wearing heels. The reason for this is mainly because I like my heels to fit a lot more snugly than men's flats. It's a fine line of course, because shoes that pinch your feet are just as miserable as shoes that are too big, but in general, I like my heels pretty tight, especially if they are a pump or loafer style, with nothing holding them on but friction. I have had a very low success rate with trying to make shoes that are too big fit with various inserts.

As I said, I order almost exclusively on the internet, usually ebay, but not because I am embarrassed to try on shoes in a shoe store. I find that buying slightly used gets me a big upstep in the quality without paying too much money. However, I also have to accept that some things I buy are just not going to work out fit-wise, and I'll have to resell them or donate them. It's just part of the game.

In conclusion, I say follow our brothers' advice, go to a Payless and try some stuff on if you have the confidence to do so, it may help you waste less money in the future. However, it is not the end-all to get a perfect fit, especially until you get some experience in heels. That first walk across a huge parking lot to get back to your car will tell you a lot more than 5 laps around the Payless store. Good luck!

• Like 1

Depending on your location in the US, I do know of a Nine West Outlet store that stocks all of of their larger sizes. Located at the Cincinnati Outlet Mall in Monroe Ohio. They see men often, so this is not an issue for them. Most of their other outlets only go to a size 10. So far, all of their outlet stores are very adept at assisting men when it comes to heels.

My luck with the local Payless stores has been less than stellar, but I believe that's just because of local attitudes, and not an overall view of the company. Larger metropolitan areas seem to have a more open viewpoint in my experience.

I also like DSW, and especially the discount racks. You can find some fantastic deals all the way up to size 11.

Try before you buy, and at least walk around the store for a few minutes. Have some fun too. I always go to DSW and Nine West in heels. I love to walk past the bored husbands and head back into the aisles and catch the bewildered husbands staring - - Kinda wonder what they are thinking.