At the Airport

badger

Last week I traveled by airplane for the first time in a longtime and I noticed that they were making everybody remove their shoes and boots. This was great, since it is winter and many women were in boots. I was able to tell which women wore ankle boots :D and which women wore knee boots :D . This was a great day at the airport. I think the airport or airlines could make money if they sold seats in a viewing stand so guys like us could watch women change out of and into the boots and heels all day. I'd pay $5 an hour for the show. Thoughts?

Everyone should wear boots!

Hi, I Need to know what airport this was!!! I for one would look forward to this part of travelling as up until now It was always the most boring bit! There is nothing more dissapointing than admiring a pair of boots only to find that when they sit down, you can see the top of the zip, underneath the trousers, or even worse ankle boots with a skirt! yuk. Here is to more searches at airports! Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

I made the same experience at an airport last December. Security doesn't only make sense for everyone, sometimes it can be fun, too! At least for some of the passengers. 5 Bucks would be a fair price. Would be even better if they offered drinks with the show :D

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Hey, I have been one of those guys that had to take off my HH boots. I don't do it often and never at my "home airport", but I have done it for late flights out of other airports. When you take of your long boots and put them on that belt for the screening machine, there is not hiding what they are ! I had a few screeners stare at them, but they were too professional to say anything. I think that actually yhe new security rules have discouraged HH wear at the airport. A lot of people now wear sneakers because they will not set of the alarm.

I made the same experience at an airport last December. Security doesn't only make sense for everyone, sometimes it can be fun, too! At least for some of the passengers. 5 Bucks would be a fair price. Would be even better if they offered drinks with the show :D

That would be the ultimate street-shot photo op.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel a lot. Last trip I wore 3-1/2" heeled black boot, round toes, ankle height. The heels are about 1-1/2" diameter - not stillettos. Three times at different airports, I had to take them off and put them in the bin to go thru security check. No one in line nor the security people said a word or even gave a funny look. The sound of the plastic heels on the hard floors was kind of neat. It was nice following women in heels and feeling good about my own shoes instead of envying theirs. Had to watch out for escalators, carrying my bags and not tripping, etc. It takes some care wearing heels while travelling. I found I got used to them and felt wierd putting on lower shoes for meeting my clients. As soon as my business was over, I put on the HH boots again for walking to dinner and around the motel. It was great. Blackslide

One of the few reasons I still put up with all the travel I have to do, is that I get to wear a lot of HH boots and shoes on these trips. There is nothing like being in another city where you think that noone could ever know and walk around in your heels. Sometimes, it can lead to surprise. Once I was flying through London Heathrow and had several hours to kill in the lounge of American Airlines, so I decided to wear my boots with 4 inch block heels. As I walked around, I saw one of my colleagues from another University sit in the lounge. I don't think he noticed me. I have a professional collaboration with this guy, and I think he would have been shocked if he noticed my boots. So, the world can still be a small place.

I recently travelled through Stansted airport in Essex and had to take off my 3 1/2" ankle boots ... no big deal really, but judging by some of the sniggers it at least brightened up the dull, dreary existence of some of the security droids. None of the other passengers seemed remotely interested.

My guess is that the security people at airports are used to unusual stuff. just imagine the kind of things that can show up in people's luggage ... In the months after 9/11 I had them many times go through my carry-on luggage and find a pair of HH boots (usually they would take up half of the space in my small bag). Noone ever said a word. I was sometimes sort of hoping they would ask "Are these yours ?"