Wearing heels no matter were you live

Newkid

So I've been seeing people comments and differnt topics saying that you need to keep in mind were you live if you plan on wearing heels in public. But wouldn't that not really matter in the long run like for example let's say I lived in a conservative state and decided to wear a mini skirt,stocking,and heels/boots to the mall the most I would get would maybe be a few looks and a few comments. Even if I wore let's say booties with jeans over them and went to bestbuy in a small town wouldn't the majority or the people not care. 

Conservative people might be judgemental toward you, true, but the issue can be groups of teens who do not mind roughing up someone they thing 'is a fag'. But, thankfully, the world has changed quite a bit, and it seems those types of physical attacks are far less common now then they were.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Newkid.....   Wherever you go, heels or not, you need to be aware of your surroundings - obviously.  I have been places in "regular" shoes and I wanted out of there as fast as possible.  Having been in and around both "Conservative" and , dare I say, "liberal" people or places (I hate labels) in high heels I can say that I have had no difficulty in either, aside from what I just said earlier, anyways be aware of your surroundings - and act accordingly.   In the meantime - have fun, and be safe....   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I agree with you. At least within western society, even conservative locations are pretty safe. The exceptions of course are places and times where it is dangerous for most people such as crime areas etc. I would not go bar hopping without friends, i would not walk at night in a strange place. I would not take public transportation late at night etc. You have to be smart about things.

I've worn full female presentation in Utah, Wyoming, Texas, rural Arizona and the list goes on

As for avoiding gangs of teen ruffians, well everyone has that issue. The above applies as well to that threat.

It's not always taking your environment you take into account. Often ask yourself do i need to wear heels where i'm heading?

We all know there's a time and place for many things.  Certainly it goes with what you're wearing. 

We all observe heel stilettos aren't meant to be worn going to the beach or messy industrial workplace. We take into account many factors in our clothing and shoes we wear everyday.

At least i see, exclusively woman wearing stiletto heels when going out for entertaining night out to a bar, club, show etc... While during the day women wear more conservative shoes or trendy knee high flat boots shopping, errands, coffee shop, restaurants, workplace etc...  

So too we sometimes overdress or overdo our wardrobe thinking this is only place i can wear my heels out, such as the mall, grocery store etc.. Yet we seem to be only ones in heels dressed up including the woman. I see females wear their yoga tight crops and sneakers all day as they never changed out of their morning gym workout gear, (yuk! as many woman would respond, if a sweaty male walked around all day in his workout running gear). Yet when a female does it she is being practical and they all begin to copy it on any given Saturday calling them weekend fitness warriors. 

In the past woman often cared how they looked wearing heels to impress others even going out to the corner convenience store. Today  woman want to feel comfortable ditching heels only on special evening occasions. The prefer to walk around in flats or UGG's, flip flops, designer flat sandals or chelsea ankle booties with low block heel. 

Suppose woman really don't care what others think about them or what they are wearing. If enough woman wear essentially the same trend ditching heels or proper clothes it becomes accustomed and others copy it becoming the norm.

Only judgement is males liking woman styles voicing their displeasure of them wearing certain things. Yet women defy this saying i dress for myself not for someone else. Although woman get their fair share of grief wearing this or that UGG's. leggings from males they can ignore it knowing many more woman are wearing the same which makes them feel comfortable.

So our critics come from our gender and we need to deal with it in some manner. Sometimes it's impossible and you learn to wear something different next time to appease your critics, only to make yourself feel comfortable. 

Newkid,

Being aware of one's surroundings is always sound advice no matter what you are doing or where you are visiting. Those who have been in the military and or law enforcement (did them both) already know about this sort of thing. It is a mindset but it shouldn't be paranoia. I don't want to say everyone should carry a gun with them as laws vary from country to country but situational awareness is the most fundamental of tools to carry with you. You have the fundamental right to live, thrive, and survive on This Earth but you have to be aware of possible conflict and dumb asses on the prowl. Be alert, be prudent, but don't be afraid. This last one comes with the confidence I know you'll take with every time you step out the door. HappyinHeels

• 4 months later...

I was looking for a topic on this subject.      I was going to pick up a pizza at my local  Donatos about 2 miles from my home,  A week ago,      Do not know how to post a picture of my outfit,  But I will describe Black t-shirt and  Jean shorts with cuffs rolled up not quite Mary Janes but had the look      and a pair of Black Franco Sarto Jinelle   Strappy flat sandals.      Well   there is a new little store called food 2 go.   and I pull up and there are people and children literally leaning up against cars and playing in the parking lot so I park next to the crowd no-other place to park.    Well I was a bit nervous (so to speak)   Been to the Donatos many times in strappy sandals,   got out of the car and a few people looked at me but not at what i was wearing.   Did tell the manager that there was children and adults not really looking where they were going and he says yes he has went out and told them earlier about safety!    Party in the parking lot.    Needless to say picked up my pizza and walked out too my car and past the crowd when I see these guys look at my outfit and sandals and say (What the Hell!)  I  did look these Gentlemen in the eyes,   I felt it was in my best interest to get in the car and leave discreetly..  I did and felt  a bit nervous to say the least.    So  I guess from now in at that area   might have to dress a bit drab and wear Black t-shirt and jeans with sneakers to pick up my pizzas from now on. (hopefully not)   Thoughts please!              Pizza place knows  my taste in foot wear and have no issues they smile  and go back to their jobs and always glad too see me and say hi.

Just add an NRA cap to your outfit. And scowl a lot. Crinkle your eyes like Clint Eastwood. Speak in a whisper. THey'll do anything to stay out of your way. 

Edited by Shyheels

Carrollton Ohio is a village in Carroll County, Ohio, United States. The population was 3,241 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Carroll County.    Carrollton is in the eastern part of the state where the northern part of Appalachian mountains runs through the state.  Sounds like the group you encountered fits the stereotypical image of a mountain family that is cut off from the rest of the world or it may be that they know they are in a rural community and are using that as an excuse to resist (ignore) the way the rest of the world is becoming more tolerant of self expression.  It also sounds like others in the community (pizza place owner and staff) have kept up with the times.

I think that you will find folks that have their own limited view of the world, and are sure that is the right view, no matter where you go.  You did expand their view just a bit, but doing so should be done with caution. 

I don't mind pushing the boundaries when I go out but I am generally aware of where I'm going and fortunately the folks in my area are tolerant of different presentations.  I have gotten similar reactions from folks as you encountered but there have always been more people around, that didn't care what I looked like, that buffered the situation.  When you go out pushing the boundaries, do it with confidence and people will respect that, but be aware of where you are going.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I wonder if the short shorts got to them or...?  When I looked the sandals they are pretty generic so I don't think it was the sandals, but perhaps the combination of the two?

9 hours ago, Pumped said:

I wonder if the short shorts got to them or...?  When I looked the sandals they are pretty generic so I don't think it was the sandals, but perhaps the combination of the two?

My thoughts exactly, from personal experience. 

Here in Kentucky it's hit or miss for the rural areas  . That being said ,  the NRA hat joke was not funny  :happy:  hit kinda close to home if you know what I mean . Here it's the religious folk that tend to be harsh and judgmental in my opinion . Case in point : My sister in law wore some really nice high wedge thongs to a Father's Day get together and was given a hard time about it , by her older sister ( very religious ) until my wife said they looked great on her . Think what would have happened if I walked in wearing my heels . Just have to pick the right time and place . If you are not sure carry a spare pair of shoes. That works for me .

maninpumps.       You are right I should of had a back-up pair of shoes,    Just in case.     I do believe other posts in the past members always carry an extra pair of shoes(sneakers in my case)      I just learned a lesson  and a good one at that!           Thank you.       

Hate to say this, but I recently discovered I have co-workers from around the country that are so far off the scale, I would never even wear anything not of the proper gender. Up until this week. I have never heard such right wing bigoted racist Neanderthal discussions. I though the locals were bad, but after hearing these guys, and some other travellers at a hotel - - - - lets just say I was shocked. Age range from Vietnam vets to 25 year old guys.

I now have a better understanding as to some of the reasons why Donald Trump just might win - - - 

I know exactly what you mean.....  I have run across a lot of "left wing bigoted Neanderthals" too......   sad, so sad....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

The story is that thicker (higher) heels were to developed to help keep a riders feet in saddle stirrups.  I would think that if Neanderthals had horses, they would be eating them rather than riding them.   :cheeky:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

On 6/24/2016 at 6:33 AM, Shyheels said:

But did they (Neanderthals) wear heels?

Probably not, but if they did here is a likely choice of footwear:

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

(Here is the link to these boots: Furry Boots

• Like 2

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

3 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Probably not, but if they did here is a likely choice of footwear:

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

(Here is the link to these boots: Furry Boots

Wow! That's something! They sure would keep you warm in winter!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!