My coming out.....

hh_pe

On Friday, my wife and I went to a party hosted by a good college friend of hers.  This friend works in the costuming industry for theaters and is know for having some lavish parties. As I was getting ready, I mindlessly asked "what should I wear" not knowing if this was a casual get together, or more of a big costume deal.  I was told it was a casual costume affair, which didn't really help me.  So I asked my wife if wearing my heals and jeans would be a casual costume (Side note: my wife accepts my wearing of women's heels, and is okay with me wearing flats that can pass as men's shoes in public, but has never agreed to me wearing high heels openly in public).  She responded by saying sure and suggested I wear my women stretch jeans to help with the look.  I have to admit, while in the car, I was very nervous about what the reaction would be.  When we got to the party, her friend greeted us at the door and just screamed with joy when she saw my heels.  I was quickly paraded around to say hello to everyone we knew, and be introduced to new people. I was the only guy wearing heels, and no one reacted negatively.  I even got a few complements from some of the ladies there saying I walk really well in heels for a guy. :happy: When we started to leave, my wife's friend asked me if I have any other heels in my collection.  I just smiled, and my wife responded with "you will just have to wait until the next costume party to find out."  I just love the way her mind works.  On the drive home, we talked about the conversations we had with people at the party. Eventually, I got around to asking how she felt about me wearing heels given we knew a lot of people at the party.  She figured since it was a costume party, and knows how much I want to start wearing heels in public, the party was an okay compromise.  She just requested I don't go over board by always wearing heels to every party in the future.  I promised her I wouldn't, but told her we will need to go shopping at some point for something new for the next time it is okay to wear heels to the party.

56b061f57b044_Myoutfit.thumb.JPG.1622bf7

• Like 2

First of all, let me say congratulations. I hope your wife continues to be supportive.

Second, I noticed that your sandals are remarkably similar to a pair that I've had for a long time. I don't wear them so much any more, but I still keep them around for the purpose of wearing if I'm about to meet a bunch of people who have never seen me in heels before, as they are not too radical. 

hh pe, Nice story, great experience, great wife and friends.  Nice sandals too!!!   Never had an opportunity to wear heels to a party, that would be a real icebreaker.  We are lucky, my wife is OK with me in heels as well.   Have fun...  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

hh_pe,

It's nice that the party went well for you and your wife. I wonder though about you ever having to approve or not approve of your wife wearing  say a men's suit to a costume party. Such a conversation is unlikely to ever take place since women never seek permission to wear what they want. THe old saying "everyone is equal but some people are more equal than others" still has a ring of truth to it.   HappyinHeels

Congrats hh , like the sandals and I am envious of you having the opportunity to wear heels to a party. I am a lucky man also as my wife is accepting of me wearing heels. I haven't tried wearing them out with her yet but I hope too soon. Just as an aside you might try painting your nails or better yet get a pedicure for the next party:cheeky:

Thanks guys.

The heels are Gin Rickey's from Aerosoles, my wife's favorite shoe store.  I love the way the elastic bands conform to your feet, and are very comfortable to walk in.  It was great to get out in public. My job, as mentioned in other posts, is in a professional setting, so wearing heels at the office is a BIG NO NO.  During the evening, I had a wonderful conversation with a male theater performer who has worn heels a few times for various roles. We compared notes on how to walk without drawing attention to yourself.  The way he learned was very similar to what many of us have said before, start with a lower heel, wear it around the house, and when the heels feel no different than your normal "man" shoes, move up to a higher heel.  We also agreed, most people don't notice your shoes unless you want them to.  I even had one lady suggested I paint my toe nails the next time. I mentioned it is difficult to do with children at home, but would attempt to do it should I have more time the next time to get ready for the party.  I wore pants to the party because my legs are hairy.  I think I will have to convince my wife to let me shave my legs and go in nylons and new pumps the next time.

HappyinHeels, the statement "everyone is equal but some people are more equal than others" does appear truthful.  I don't think my wife would seek permission from me to wear a men's suit, but to be honest, I don't think she would ever dress in a masculine way. Maybe for the next party I might suggest it to see what happens. 

Aeroloses are GREAT shoes, I have several pairs, pumps and sandals.  They also come in sizes up to a gals 12, and they tend to run big.  Wonderfully comfortable, and the staff in the stores have always ben helpful.  Nice sandals hh pe.......   sf

P.S. I travel thru LA quite often, maybe I will "spot" you there some day.  Never seen another guy in heels in LA...... except for me....  ha ha 

Great story! Thanks for sharing it, hh. I love Aerosoles, too, and although I don't have that particular sandal, I have others that I wear frequently, including the ones ("Platonic") in my avatar photo, which I have in black and brown. Fun to wear. I hope you get another chance at public heeling in the near future! And I agree on a pedicure, leg shaving, and wearing nylon hosiery.

Steve

Nice experience hh_pe.  Would be great if my wife was accepting, but alas, no such luck.  I have worn heels to Halloween parties in the past, but that was many years ago now.  I would love to do it again!

SF, you got me thinking about why we don't see more men in heels here in LA.  With Hollywood, and all the other alternative lifestyles that are present here, one would think heel wearing by men would be more prevalent.  Maybe we can blame it on the weather, with shorts and sandals weather almost 360 days a year.  Or the alternative could be because the greater LA area is so large, with so many people going everywhere at a hundred miles an hour, we just are not in the right place at the right time, and are to busy to notice.

hh_pe....  I have live in CA my entire life and travel the state extensively, north to south.  Never seen another guy out in heels, or even flat gals shoes.  Why?  Probably for a lot of reasons that you mentioned, lots of folks and lots of space and not many os "us."  When I go shoe shopping, clerks do tell me that they occasionally get male customers who try and buy gals shoes, maybe the majority of them are "closet" wearers.  

I know from this site that were are a few guys out here in CA who go heeling in public - and that's a good thing.  In the meantime I will continue looking.  As you know, it is a lonely life.  ha ha...     Take care, sf

• 2 months later...

Nice look hh_pe.  I suspect it didn't garner much more than a second look from the party goers.  An easy way to push the envelope a little further would be the addition of a necklace or some other restrained jewelry.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

So here is the after action report.

Overall everyone liked the look.  Several of the women at the party, including my wife, thought boots with a higher heel, and a tighter shaft would have looked better.  A few women were disappointed I wasn't wearing higher heels. When I asked what height should I attempt to get, one woman suggested 6 inches. I don't think my ankles would survive that height anymore.  It was also suggested a belt around my waist could add to the overall look. I feel a belt would accentuate the fact I could lose a few pounds.  One comment I received suggested I go with black leggings and brown boots next time due to the color contrast.  This look seems more popular than black boots with dark tights. My jeggings are a dark blue.  Based on everyone's comments, I think for my frame structure, the first outfit works better for me.  Now, for the next party, I've asked my wife to find me some black tights that will cover my leg hair. I want to take it up a notch and wear my black Aerosoles Prologue T-strap heels with a skirt. Since summer is upon us, shaving my legs is not an option right now (Wife's orders).

Enjoy heeling everyone. :fine:

hh_pe

4 hours ago, hh_pe said:

I feel a belt would accentuate the fact I could lose a few pounds.

Yes a belt does that, but minus the pounds it would look good.  Consider that as incentive.

4 hours ago, hh_pe said:

I want to take it up a notch and wear my black Aerosoles Prologue T-strap heels with a skirt.

I think a skirt would be pushing your luck too far.  Just go for 4" heels.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.