Starting out

Newkid

Iv been visiting this site for awhile now and finally got around to creating a account the question I have is what are some good starter heels and boots I could try that are good for 

Beginers 

Check Payless Shoe Source as they carry to size 13 in many styles. 

A good starter would be something like http://www.payless.com/womens-kimmie-mary-jane-pump/69178.html?dwvar_69178_color=black#start=73

Something a little higher but still a solid footing for a novice  http://www.payless.com/womens-mink-medallion-wedge/76417.html?dwvar_76417_color=winepatent#start=34

Then the classics with a more stiletto type heel  http://www.payless.com/womens-jane-buckle-pump/76553.html?dwvar_76553_color=browntexturedsnake#start=26

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Welcome buddy.  What type of boots/heels do you like, that is the question.  In any event, it is better to start off with lower heels to gain proficiency, and more importantly, confidence.  You may also want to visit local thrift shops, you never know what you might find for just a few bucks.  What size do you wear?

Good advice so far.  Start low and work your way up.  Payless and thrift stores are a good entry point.  Be sure to try the shoes/boots on in the store.  That saves money, frustration, and is great fun.  As @pebblesf asked, "what size (male or female) are you?"  The smaller the size, the more option you have.  I also recommend starting with boots.  They are easier to walk in and a lot easier to wear out and about.

Welcome to the forum!

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

3 hours ago, Newkid said:

I wear a 9/10/10.5 in guys shoes if that helps 

The general rule is to add 2 sizes to your male shoe size to get the female size.  But that rule, like many others, is often broken.  If the toe style of the female shoe is round or square (lots of room) a 10 or 11 may fit. For more pointed styles try 11 or 12.  If you go for a high heel (5") try 12 or 13.  I generally wear a women's 12 or 13 but my thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels are 14.

Stop in a Payless and or thrift store and try some shoes/boots on.  The sales staff really doesn't care, especially if you buy something! 

It is important that the shoes are comfortable.  Don't fall into the trap of buying a shoe you really like that is too small.  Also women's shoes are designed to look narrow.  Some really are but you'd be surprised at how deceiving that design is and how roomy they really are.  You have to try them on.

Enjoy your new adventure.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

TBG's advice on sizing is OK for the US but doesn't apply to the UK or Europe. In these areas, at least in theory, you should be using the same size as our normal men's shoes. As always in practice there's a fairly wide variation. I'm nominally UK9/EU43 but I've got a pair of EU43 Next ankle boots that need insoles. I've also tried UK9/EU43 woman's shoes that have been too small and some UK8/EU42 that have fitted OK.

You shouldn't have a problem. Not everyone who shops buys at a given store. Also considering your shoe size-  your gonna be limited in your selection options depending on what your local Payless has in stock.

My foot size hasn't changed the last time a tried on women shoes were uggs they were a size 9 and were roomy I also tried some of those high heel sneakers in khols and they were a size 10 keep in mind that was like 3 years ago 

Like everyone says, sizing surely varies.  The US men's size you usually wear plus two equals the US women's size you need is just a place to start.  So, I'm guessing you would initially look for women's shoes/boots in sizes 10-12, but don't be afraid to try on slightly smaller or larger sizes. 

Most salespeople are paid by commission, so they really don't care who buys the shoes.  The key is not to be timid, lurking around trying not to be noticed may seem "creepy" to the sales people.  I know, much easier said than done.  Starting out in thrift stores might be easier, you can try shoes on yourself without salesperson involvement. 

We are here for you buddy, remember to start slowly, your confidence will build over time.  Expecting too much from yourself too soon can lead to negative experiences and unnecessary set backs.  Stay in touch and let us know about your experiences!

I doubt if there would be any problems if as @pebblesf says "Try not to act creepy".  Go at it like you were buying man's shoes and you may or may not find something you liked.  Who knows you may find a pair of boots that you really like.  If you log into the payless.com web site they will send you a 20% off coupon.

Newkid,  I have been in stores shopping for gals shoes many, many times.  Only once was I "put off" by sales staff, but I got over it.  When I go into a store, if Ii am greeted by staff, I just tell them that I am looking, if they inquire further, I tell them I am looking for shoes for me.  Some clerks will let you look on your own, and some get involved and help.  Either case has never been a problem for me, but the latter is most comfortable - for me.  

Just last week I was in a store that I frequent, I looked around, interacted with the sales gal, tried on a few pairs of sandals, saw nothing I liked and left, with that clerk asking for me to come back again when they have a better selection.  I will.  

If you are around a gals size 10, you have a lot of options, have fun.....    sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Newkid,

Not knowing your heeling experiences and/or interests, it's not easy to give anymore better suggestions than you have received so far. Just be true in satisfying the desire to wear heels from who you are. You wouldn't have such premonitions if they weren't importance to you. Everybody is different in some way, even though we may like or want the same or at least similar things. Life is an individual's journey that no one else can live. We make the choices as to how it happens according to the variables we perceive being dealt. Hopefully, we are open-minded enough to be able to realize more than just the obvious. No one has ever felt cheated in their life's span when they have loved others and have been loved by others. Have happy experiences wearing of the high heels you prefer while sharing that happiness with those you know really love you and care for your happiness.   

On 1/31/2016 at 2:26 PM, Newkid said:

If i go into a Payless just to try some shoes on but come out without buying anything would I have any problems 

Absolutely not - I do it all the time.  You are as welcome as anyone lese to go in and shop - there is nothing that says you have to buy anything...ever.  I have yet to find a Payless where there was a problem.  One male clerk was less than cordial but did say "do whatever you want".  That was back a while when I would ask the clerk if they had a problem with me trying stuff on.  Now I just go and do it.  Never have a problem at all.

18 hours ago, Newkid said:

How comfortable are heels and boots most women complain about how there feet hurt from wearing them 

They are normally wearing high ones or ill fitting ones, I suggest getting higher ones for practice then when you go back down to a 2.5" or so they almost feel like flats.

Newkid,

The first time I tried heels in a Payless was not long before the Halloween season.  I did use a premise when the sales associate approached that I was looking for a pair of heels for a costume - not a falsehood.  She was more than willing to help as it was a slow time in the store.  She was more than willing to help be determine if a 12, 12W, 13, or 13W was going to provide the best fit.  She was also concerned that maybe the heel style, a stiletto, might be somewhat of a problem and suggested trying a similar style with the same height and platform but with a wedge type heel.  That was about 5 years ago. 

Since then, I have encountered many SA that are just as willing to be helpful.  Don't  be afraid to ask them for help as they are there to do just that to sell shoes.  

Good luck and have fun while on your search.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Newkid,

Heels are going to be less comfortable than flats/low heels.  You are changing the posture of the body and, in many cases, drastically adding to the pressure on the balls of your feet.  That being said, like shoe sizing, comfort is a very complex variable that is dependent on the shoe construction and design, style, brand, cost, sizing, and you (weight and posture) among other things.  Many here have written about having 4" heels that were very comfortable and 3" heels that they could barely war for an hour.

vector