The Eagles

It has been quite a fortnight in terms of losing icons. David Bowie, Alan Rickman and now Glen Frey of The Eagles. Bowie was something of a soundtrack to my youth, but The Eagles were THE soundtrack. Quite a poignant reminder of the passing of years.

32 minutes ago, meganiwish said:

Indeed, any of us that have been at the front of a protest will know the smell of hot blue serge.  'Warm smell of policeman, rising up through the air.' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfhf1Gv4Tw

Oh Megan - - Please

I wasn't to big on the Eagles, but I love Joe Walsh, and thought all the other solo projects were better.

21 hours ago, gibby said:

Do not forget Lemmy from Motorhead

Not forgotten.  Indeed, he has his own thread.

20 hours ago, beepy said:

RIP Glenn

That would be 'Warm smell of colitas, rising up...'

Ah, but I'm an English girl and know little of these 'colitas' you speak of.  I do know the smell of blue serge at close hand, though.  I went to Greenham Common.

Greenham Common, lovley place just down the road, I remember all those ladies camping outside. Taught my girlfriend to drive there on the main runway, 2nd longest in the country. Early 60's B52 taking off and landing every 10 minutes or so, Concorde did some landings there late sixties. Has a lot of memories for me.

life is not a rehearsal

Oh I forgot the Eagles, used to listern to a lot of their music with my mates (work mates) I was working on the isle of wight installing the telephone exchange in Newport, crossbar in them days, guys used to go to Portsmouth on a Friday night to get there drugs etc come back and be high all weekend, tried it myself first in 1968 never did anything for me and all the times I tried it nothing so I did not bother, waste of time.

life is not a rehearsal

13 hours ago, dww said:

Greenham Common, lovley place just down the road, I remember all those ladies camping outside. Taught my girlfriend to drive there on the main runway, 2nd longest in the country. Early 60's B52 taking off and landing every 10 minutes or so, Concorde did some landings there late sixties. Has a lot of memories for me.

I didn't camp there, but I went for the occasional protest when there was a higher than usual colitas presence.

• 1 month later...

A little late to the thread. But Frey's passing was a surprise.  My wife and I saw the Eagles on tour last year and Frey looked great. I guess his issues were not obvious on the surface but the show was great and glad I got to see them one more time. Probably will be saying that about a few groups from fhat era. Actually, that started years ago when I was supposed to see Zeppelin when they cancel the tour because a member died...