Who says guys can't wear heels to the office?

Steve63130

<silly>Yesterday I received an email from 6pm.com, an online shoe sales web site that is the economy and clearance arm of zappos.com. They were promoting shoes for office wear and I thought the caption in the attached graphic was nice recognition for us guys!</silly>

Steve

row08-1col1image-image1.jpg

• Like 2

I agree, that this add is positive recognition for guys who like to wear heels. Manufacturers and retailers should follow in 6 PM's footsteps (pun intended), and begin marketing footwear traditionally thought of as "ladies" footwear, to either gender, and stop promoting heels as "Women's" only. Many women shop in men's closets, for everything from shoes, to t-shirts, to jeans, either to find the correct fit, for style, or to save a few dollars. Men should and can, do the same thing, and manufacturers, and retailers should do away with the otherwise traditional distinctions between women's and men's footwear. One potentially difficult hurdle (and there are probably many) for retailers, is the sizing differences, and how they would label them for male/female compatibility. Then, there are the societal obstacles which would also need to be overcome, from a marketing standpoint. Do they market all shoes, regardless of style, heel height, etc., to both men and women? Do traditionally men's shoes begin to get marketed to either gender, as well? Lots of considerations, even from a production standpoint, as the lasts used to manufacture men's shoes, in their respective sizes, are typically wider than the ones used to manufacture women's styles, even though there is normally a two-size differential between male and female sizing. So a women's size 11 may be comparable to a men's size 9 in length in an "average" or medium width, but in actuality, the men's "average" width is a bit wider than the women's "average" width, even though the length of the shoe may be almost the same. I would think some sort of standardization in sizing would need to occur, if they were to do away with the women's men's distinctions. I'm not sure if we will get there, in our lifetime, but this is certainly a small step in the right direction, at least as far as 6 PM is concerned!

I'm not sure about the sizing difference between men and women is all that it is cracked up to be. There are many women who have the smaller than average sizing, but there are also men with the same size feet that appear a lot bigger because of the kind of construction and design of the footwear society said men have to choose. There are also women with larger sized feet than most men have. From this high heel forum, the evidence that many men are able to find footwear from the women's styles and labels that fit them properly, establishes the fact of the sizing difference between men and women has to be one of the attempts by society to further promote its man-made gender classifications/stereotypes. 

Sure! Men can and, most likely, some do wear heels to the office, but it is the social attitude they incur by doing it that may determine their future associations and job status, not to mention their home and financial stability. Then again, women would still be home bound house nannies with a marriage certificate and constantly wearing dresses had they not confronted and resisted the injustice of the social attitude prevailing in the 18th and 19th centuries. The power of society to make personal decisions for individuals is unnatural, no matter how long it has been the way things have been done. When personal decisions that involves one's taste and personality without their consent are made and enforced by others, it is bullying/slavery

Nice ad from 6PM....  Always liked them, as well as Zappos.  Cool looking shoes too, does 6PM have them in size 11??  ha ha...

Thanks Steve for the post....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Steve;

I think wishful thinking has you reading way too much into the add. I checked the specific site and the exact "add" poppet up. Clicked it and I got lumped into a single large group shoes for women and men (but not both) that are all low key "office work" styles. Click anyone and if it's feminine women's sizes show up, and masculine men's sizes. There is no cross references between the two to suggest the shoes are now "unisex". :(

All,

I checked their website after reading the posts here. I believe Steve63130, in his patented sense of dry humour, has wisely pointed out that there shouldn't be anything else read into the 6pm.com ad. I set my search for heels overs 5" and they did have a nice selection. I then checked the "size guide" and found the usual conversion charts women, men, children, and infants but nothing like "men's to women's conversion chart. I've only seen one mainstream retailer with numerous brick and mortar stores (shiekshoes.com) ever do this. I am not counting an occasional lingerie store with just one or two locations and a website. A fair bit of the retailing industry knows of us but the recognition is in-person and not in-writing. Whiole many companies have policies mandating respectful treatment of all races, creeds, genders, etc. it is a more boiler-plate kind of policy statement saying just treat everyone in a decent way. Ultimately it is up to each of us, via the expression of civility wrapped in confidence (Ok, maybe accented with a good high heel) to make happen for us what already happened for the ladies years ago. HappyinHeels

Yes, I was being "silly" in pointing out that ad and reading more into it than was really there. I thought I made that clear in my HTML comments in my original post, but apparently not. Anyway, it was a nice diversion....

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wondering whether or not I would like to wear heels to work, so today, when the company was supposed to be closed, I did just that. I was counting on nobody else being there but I could not be sure, so it was a bit nerve wrecking. I had to change briefly for the TNT guy, but other than that I did the whole day in these:

154762_6_1400x1400.jpg?sw=556

They're so comfortable and I'm sure now that if I could I WOULD wear these to work, but I'm just not sure of the reaction.

Let's do a bit of brain storming. First of all the heels are what? 2 to 2.5 inches high, which are slightly higher than most men's footwear, but lower than the common height of 4 inches. They aren't killer high heels by any standards. They are perfect for getting around, should you have to be on your feet a lot. So they meet the practical expectations. Let count this as a positive. Next, the snake skin look is a bit exotic and the neutrally gray coloring helps to subdue the animal effect. Such coloring is also good for blending in with the other colors of jeans and pants. Another positive! The pointed toes are attractive features, but haven't been common on most men's footwear, unless you wear cowboy boots. The court shoe or pump styling is more tailored to the shape of the foot than the massive look of the present male footwear and the styling presents a simple and better streamlined profile that is more pleasing to behold. The pump design offers the option to easily slip the shoes off and on or even change footwear should you want or need to do so. Such features make pumps more convenient and alluring. People need to understand that men want to wear attractive items according to their tastes, just as much as women are known for.  

• Like 1

They're 3" and they match pretty well with what I normally wear, so in that sense they're a pretty good choice. It doesn't look half bad.My coworkers know about my passion for heels and one of them have been wearing pumps a lot because I appreciate it, but I don't think any of them have any idea that I like to wear them too.One of the coworker told one of our new employees about my passion and hurried to add "... not in the sense that he wears them himself,". I was so close to say "how do you know that ?".

pumps,

Am curious if you have worn these pumps anywhere else? It was good you wore them to work. I'd certainly wear such pumps on shopping trips or such but I don't wear anything that low which backs up HiStiletto's point of them being a sensible height and style. I wear wedges and pumps in the warmer months and ankle/knee boots in the colder months. I have been known to wear Jessica Simpson "Carlow" sandals with stiletto heels in any month of the year if I was really determined. Which brings us to your desire to wear these pumps you have. Keep showing that determination and keep wearing them! All the best to you in 2016.   HappyinHeels

2 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

pumps,

Am curious if you have worn these pumps anywhere else? It was good you wore them to work. I'd certainly wear such pumps on shopping trips or such but I don't wear anything that low which backs up HiStiletto's point of them being a sensible height and style. I wear wedges and pumps in the warmer months and ankle/knee boots in the colder months. I have been known to wear Jessica Simpson "Carlow" sandals with stiletto heels in any month of the year if I was really determined. Which brings us to your desire to wear these pumps you have. Keep showing that determination and keep wearing them! All the best to you in 2016.   HappyinHeels

Yes, I bought them in NYC in november and wore them to a show the same evening meeting a lot of people I knew, out to dinner the day after and shopping the next day, where I received a few "nice shoes". I have also been wearing them shopping around here and when I went to vote last month. I like them so much that I have a hard time keeping them off my feet. I bough the same style in black patent earlier this year in San Francisco and liked the fit so much I wore them all the way home.. I'm not crazy about black patent, though, so I was happy to get these, too.

On 12/29/2015 at 1:22 AM, Pumps said:

I have been wondering whether or not I would like to wear heels to work, so today, when the company was supposed to be closed, I did just that. I was counting on nobody else being there but I could not be sure, so it was a bit nerve wrecking. I had to change briefly for the TNT guy, but other than that I did the whole day in these:

154762_6_1400x1400.jpg?sw=556

They're so comfortable and I'm sure now that if I could I WOULD wear these to work, but I'm just not sure of the reaction.

Are these from payless? I have the same heels in black patent.

I'm a bit jealous of you guys that wear heels on the job. Gonna have to find another job that would be more applicable to my wearing heels at work. I'm on my feet, going up and down stairs and step-ladders with my hands full at different times of the day. If everything I have to deal with were on the same floor level, you could bet I'd be a working high heeler wearing something like or at least as high as the Janines.

On 7 januari 2016 at 11:05 PM, hernaezjames said:

Yup, it is the janine pointy toe pump from payless. Very comfy pumps and not the high heel height.

When I saw the picture I thought these were the same Tamaris pumps as I have. But this can happen easily with black pumps in the classic style. On second glance   I noticed a few minor detail differences. 

Trends come an go but the basic black pump is a timeless classic. And to remain on topic, I have worn mine in the office but only when I was there on my own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wear my otk suede boots (either chunky 7cm heels or flats ) with jeans and jumper virtually every day at my office, although I work from home (when I am not travelling) and so am at perfect liberty to wear whatever I please. Strictly no jacket and tie. Those are banned from my workplace.

11 hours ago, aristoc said:

Well I do sometimes wear heels to the office. Generally tend to cover them with long bootcut or flared trousers so they are not too obvious, but definitely still visible.

IMG_8528 - Copy.JPG

Recently been busy carrying out defects inspections at a new Hotel. 150 rooms to inspect in heels takes it out of you, but has been an interesting  conversation piece with some of the housekeeping staff and definitely made such a boring task slightly more interesting.

IMG_9096 - Copy.JPG

Well done Aristoc!  Very Classy!

• Like 5

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎10 at 10:13 AM, aristoc said:

Well I do sometimes wear heels to the office. Generally tend to cover them with long bootcut or flared trousers so they are not too obvious, but definitely still visible.

IMG_8528 - Copy.JPG

Recently been busy carrying out defects inspections at a new Hotel. 150 rooms to inspect in heels takes it out of you, but has been an interesting  conversation piece with some of the housekeeping staff and definitely made such a boring task slightly more interesting.

IMG_9096 - Copy.JPG

Wow!!! I must say, the heels complete your office attire perfectly and look fantastic!!!

• Like 2

Yes, I can walk in 6.5 inch heels!!!