Powerful men in high heels

at9

Let's start with the coronation of King Charles II, wearing what look like 3" heels. He became king of England in 1660, at a time when a man wearing heels would have been showing off his high status.

Charles_II_by_John_Michael_Wright.jpg

I'm not convinced that the expression "well heeled" refers to the height of the heel. Though "down at heel" seems to originate from somebody so poor they cannot afford to have their shoes repaired.

Charles was was hardly alone in wearing heels - they were de rigueur in the French court, worn by everybody from King Louis on down. The Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto as a major exhibition going on about the history of men in heels. There's a review of it here: http://www.madeforwalking.org/the-curious-history-of-men-in-heels/    

Well, you had to be above the peasants back then. Hell, as king you probably had to be above the rest of the nobility as well. Can't have some snotty duke be taller then the king at the ball. Do not underestimate symbolism like that, The amount of symbolic language displayed in an official painting like that of Charles II is probably far greater then we realize as we no longer understand most of it. 

And there's probably also an element of 'look at me, I'm so incredibly loaded and so much better then you that I can afford to wear useless shoes like these all day. Now kneel before Zod, you peasant!'

The facts that Chorlini points out were definitely part of the male heeling aspects of that era, but they still had to be comfortable with the look and the footwear. I believe a pair of footwear was still being made to fit either foot, up to the early 1800's when shoes tailored to fit either the right or the left, but not both feet, became more prominently fashionable.