Shoe size females compared to man's

TIMMY

Hi guys with regards to buying female high heels do you find if your a say ' size 6 uk for example dose your feet fit in female 6 uk or size down or size up ?  

I often buy and wear ankle boots with 3 inch heels but often wonder about sizing !

Well I normally take a uk size 7 for all of my shoes or ankle boots, but I find I have to go half a size bigger if the heels are 3 inches or above, less than 3 inches normal size 7 is fine. I do have a pair with 4 inch heels but they had to be size 8.

life is not a rehearsal

Sizing is erratic in my experience. In the UK and EU sizing systems male and female sizes are meant to be equivalent, unlike in the US. In practice there is wide variation, even within a brand let alone between brands. The only safe method is trying them on.

For example I'm nominally UK9/EU43 and regularly wear my Doc Martens "Una" clogs in that size. All other DM heels I've tried in that size have been too small. I know clogs can be more forgiving in size than boots but the difference here was quite significant. In men's shoes I'm usually UK9 but some UK8 are fine while occasionally I've had to go up to UK10. Next do lots of women's shoes in EU43/UK9. They run quite big on me though their UK8/EU42 tend to be a bit tight.

Sometimes the problem is width. Women's shoes are usually narrower than men's. Then you go up a size (harder when you're UK9) and find they're too long.

The shape of the toe has a lot to do with selecting a size in a higher heel.  You want to make sure that your toes are forced into pointed toe and the higher the heel the greater the tendency is for your foot to be supported by the toe.  A rounded toe on the shoe/boot leaves more room but often doesn't look as good.  Also, there is considerable variation in the sizing of shoes from one maker to another.

I can wear a US 12 boot with a lower heel  but my thigh boots with a pointed toe and 5" heels are US 14s.

As AT9 says... try them on before you buy them (it's also great fun).

I had an uncle who said he wore a size 8 but a 9 felt so good he bought a 10.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I have odd size feet for a male, mine are 24cm and find wearing a womens uk size 5 heel a perfect fit. I would say the arch on all my heels range between 4-5 inches (a 6 inch platform, for me, would have a 1-1.5" base etc..). Unfortunately mens sizes dont go down to uk 5 so i have to settle for a 6 in uk mens shoes. I think a 5.5 would fit better for me in mens shoes. When it comes to shoes in general, trying before buying is really the only way to go :)

Thank you guys kind of confirm what iv been experiencing with sizing,  I do from time to time try on in store and just get a bit embarrassed .

Having quite small feet I have managed until now to wear a uk 5 or 6 but recently found the width a issue becoming very narrow , on one shoe shopping trip the helpful female assistance commented on my feet shape explaining that I have wide feet due to bunions and this is why im now unsure if I have worn the wrong size shoes,   I spend maybe 3/4 of the week in female quite conservative styles ankle boots and wedge heel sneakers heel range up to 4 inch.

26 minutes ago, Northeasthee said:

I have odd size feet for a male, mine are 24cm and find wearing a womens uk size 5 heel a perfect fit. I would say the arch on all my heels range between 4-5 inches (a 6 inch platform, for me, would have a 1-1.5" base etc..). Unfortunately mens sizes dont go down to uk 5 so i have to settle for a 6 in uk mens shoes. I think a 5.5 would fit better for me in mens shoes. When it comes to shoes in general, trying before buying is really the only way to go :)

I think you having small size feet and not being able to buy mens shoes in your size is a very good reason for buying women's s shoes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIMMY said:

Thank you guys kind of confirm what iv been experiencing with sizing,  I do from time to time try on in store and just get a bit embarrassed .

Embarrassed on buying your shoes?  I'd understand if they were your girlfriend's (or significant other's) shoes, but these are your shoes.  Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

2 hours ago, TIMMY said:

Having quite small feet I have managed until now to wear a uk 5 or 6

From all us big footed guys...  sigh. :wink:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Timmy,   Nothing beats trying them on in the store for pure shopping enjoyment as well ensuring a good fit. Sizing charts are guides but there is indeed wide variation in fit between manufacturers, style of toe box, even the color of the shoe dye used. Dark colors absorb slightly  more material than light colors. The time of day also has an effect as most tend to retain more water in the morning than in the evening. Understanding these variations helps anyone find the perfect fit for all their heels.  HappyinHeels

Well in mens trainers im a size 8  but in womens shoes im a size 6 in a court shoe i do have narrow feet and if i try a 6.5 i find i slip out so really you have to find whats right for you  oh in a high heel boot im really a 6.5 to 7 so some experimentation required

On November 9, 2015 at 19:05:23, HappyinHeels said:

The time of day also has an effect as most tend to retain more water in the morning than in the evening.  HappyinHeels

Finally, one person who agrees with me about this particular subject. Every article I've ever read, without fail, says to buy your shoes in the late afternoon, when your feet are supposedly at their biggest. This has never been my experience. I guarantee you my feet are always bigger in the morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've always found I'm a 9.5 in men's shoes (10 or 10.5 in trainers) but can often get away with size 9 women's. I do find an extra half size would be spot on at times though. However, there can be an enormous variaction between even the same make. I have a number of Next boots that fit well (some even allow me to wear thick socks in winter) but some others I bought are downright too small and had to be returned. With online ordering and free returns in many UK stores it can't hurt to buy and try at home and simply take them back if no good. Allows you to try on at different times a day as well. Not got up the confidence to try in store yet so this is ideal. One day though!

• 4 weeks later...

mlroseplant,

Water retention doesn't have to work against us. Since most of us have slightly larger feet in the morning then buying them in the morning may be the best. since we would most likely wear those heels in the afternoon or evening when our feet our slightly smaller then a good fit is virtually assured. A way to simulate slightly larger feet if buying heels in the afternoon or evening is to wear some type of trouser sock or leggings over your pantyhose. Try the heels on with the extra layer in place for fit. If you like it then peel off the sock or legging to see how they look on your feet.

I recommend all members invest a few dollars in a shoe stretcher which can be had for usually under five dollars. The shoe stretcher is placed as far into the vamp as possible and three or four turns of the handle will stretch the material over the toes. If you are trying to gain about 1/2 size or less then try some water and freezing the shoes overnight with the stretcher in place. The method works well. Most of us are, after all, men whose feet are little wider than the average woman so some minor modifications are often needed or preferred. Some shoes (especially leather pumps with heels over 5") do need to be broken in and this only happens with actual street wear. Many of my Bakers pumps were exactly like that and all eventually did get broken in.    HappyinHeels