4th Outing In Less Than 2 Weeks

HHCraziness

Hi everyone, again I need to thank all of you for getting me out in public in a heel of any type. Yes, I am still going out in my boring Dansko clogs but they still have a 3 1/2" heel which are higher than anything I have ever worn in public plus they are a "Women's Shoe"

My first outing was to the VIP Boutique which was a Great experience. The second was to a DSW and that was fun also, read my other posting for the details. The third was back to VIP Boutique, different sales people, again a Great time trying on shoes and talking with the sales people.

Today, my fourth outing. I had to take care of some business out of my immediate area so before leaving I did a shoe store search for what was in that area. The area had limited small stores but did have a good size mall with Famous Footwear, Journey's and a Payless shoe stores. I have read here where some avoid the mall's but I figured it is Monday and the mall should not be that busy. I did check the mall layout online and found an entrance close to the Famous Footwear store, great I can just enter the mall and get to trying on some shoes. Wrong, Famous Footwear moved to the other end of the mall. Time to suck it up and take a nice stroll down the mall. The clogs do have their own sound and on occasion I would see a head turn but no comments or weird looks.

I arrive at Famous Footwear and I am greeted by the sales assistant, a lady probably in her early forties, she asks if she can help with anything. I state that I am looking for ankle boots and 4" pumps, she smiles and asks "for you?" and I smile and say "yes", she then asks "what size?" I say 9.5, she then says "follow me hun". I spent close to an hour trying on different shoes and boots, most of the time this nice lady was assisting me in any way that she could. I asked her for her opinion on different shoes and boots and she was right there with a polite but firm opinion. Unfortunately, I did not find a shoe or boot that wowed me.

I am looking for a nice 4" pump that does not have a super thin stiletto heel. I wish to find a heel that is just a bit thicker but by no means not a chunky type heel. I want to wear the heels with  jeans when I go out on my jaunts, many times the terrain is not perfect so the bit thicker heel would give me a bit more stability.The ankle boots that I saw and tried on just did not excite me, maybe it was the heel was weird or the boot itself just lacked something, the mirror does not lie. I cannot believe that on my fourth outing I am getting so picky about what shoes to purchase, never had this problem buying online. I am thinking that the interaction with the sales associates is becoming a good thing, I will find what I want and what looks good on me.

Journey's and Payless had the same outcome on me, nothing wowed me. Tomorrow I have an appointment not to far from another DSW, I will give it another go and hopefully purchase a pair or two.

Interesting side note, while in Famous Footwear I did get a few looks when I was trying on shoes from a couple customers, I just smile. On my long walk through the mall to Journey's and Payless I did get a couple of glances from people I passed but two were just funny. While walking I hear two girls talking from behind me, they are not talking about me from what I could tell but when they pass me one girl turns to me and says "nice look and the walk isn't bad", I smile and say thank you. The second was, two young men walking towards me, I see one look down at my shoes and then look up to me and then he says to his friend " see, he has the balls to wear his shoes in public, not like you". Made me feel good, his friend seemed embarrassed but we all smiled. Til tomrrow.

HHC   

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great outing!  It is always nice to get complements.  They really go a long way to offsetting the occasional snide remark.

You said, "plus they are a 'Women's Shoe'"... minor correction  "They are your shoes", and when you refer to them it should be as "My shoes".

Enjoy your heels

Edited by Thighbootguy

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

HHCraziness

I echo what TBG said, They're your shoes, not women's. Enjoy wearing your heels. Incidentally I wore my Dansko "Rae" in the navy color, this evening, with blue twill pants and a yellow, 1/4 zip long sleeve, Izod golf shirt. Carrying a navy, cross body bag, it made a very interesting ensemble.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

TBG,

What was I thinking??? This is why posters should not post when they are under the influence of any substance, my substance was a "Great Aura" from a fun outing.

HHC 

Nothing wrong with that!  Everyone should take a hit of that stuff.  I'm just awaiting the glow when you try on a pair of thigh boots. You may not come down for weeks. :wink:

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you had a fun outing, and a positive experience with the female salesperson at Famou Footwear. I've alweays had pleasant experiences going into shoe stores, and picking out heels for either myself, or for a girlfriend. Sales associates tend to see it all, in these stores, so it's really not a big deal to them, when a guy goes in, to buy heels. They are there to sell, and at the end of the day, while your transaction is meaningful to you, to them, it's just another transaction, and they are generally happy to help, and be cordial and non-judgemental. It helps their sales numbers! I always enjoy subtly probing female sales associates on their footwear preferances, to see if they are into wearing heels as well, and if they are regular heel wearers, or if they only wear them for formal occasions. I find it interesting, how many attractive, or even gorgeous women, seldom wear heels. And I tend to count it as a bummer (at least in my own head), when I meet attractive women who associate wearing heels with "formal occasion only" (weddings, banquets, etc.), and typically only wear flats or trainers day-to-day. 

LuvsStiletto,

I could not agree with you more on women wearing heels. Where I live is far from the dark ages of fashion but very seldom do I see a lady wearing heels. Sometimes when I am in a local Stop & Shop grocery store I might see a lady wearing heels and sometimes at a local Chef Supply store but that is about it. Even at the malls very rarely is there a sighting.

I have been out heeling six times since my last post. I have gone to shoe stores mostly, stand alone stores and stores at malls. DSW, Nine West Outlet, Famous Footwear, Payless, Saks 5th Avenue Outlet, J.C. Penny and Macy's have been all pleasant experiences and a visit to Charlotte Russe was unpleasant. At Charlotte Russe I was ignored by two sales associates even after I asked them twice about a pair of shoes.

Shoe shopping has not been the greatest, perhaps I am getting too picky. Most of my heels are 5" or better, stiletto type heel, not really great for me to walk in for extended periods of time. My mission has been to find a nice pair of 4" to 4 1/2" heels with a slender, thicker heel, not chunky, just a shoe that would be comfortable to walk in for longer outings. Honestly, walking to and from stores or walking in malls can be a trying event. Uneven surfaces, broken asphalt, cracks in cement, slippery store floors all play into a scenario for trouble. Quite possibly this is why I do not see many women heels?

Back to the shoes, I have been a fan of Nine West shoes for a while but recently something has changed with their shoe. All shoes have a plastic composite sole, when wearing the shoe the comfort is not what it use to be. DSW shoes have changed also, many brands but most of them just don't feel comfortable. As I stated, maybe I am getting too picky, all was fine when I did not  leave the house in heels. I wore my heels for a bit in the house when it was safe to wear them so they were comfortable but now I wish to go out for hours in heels and I just have not found the right heel for that purpose. Trust me I am determined, I will find that shoe and I will post what I find.   

• Like 1

Great job HHC!  You are wise to choose a manageable heel while on outings.  Having difficulty walking in stilettos, or perhaps calling too much attention to one's self, only serves to be a set back.  You are not alone buddy, I too am very fussy about my boots.  I like different styles, but am amazingly picky choosing among any style.  So, don't worry about being fussy, we like what we like, and that is fine. 

Isn't it great to get a positive comment from guys!  I had one guy (slightly drunk I'm sure) say "great kicks" to me while on an elevator, that was an great feeling.  I have tried DSW once after checking stock online, the staff was very nice to me even though it turned out they did not have the boots I wanted in my size.  Any sales associate that is rude or dismissive to a guy asking about heels is just an idiot, why would you care who provides you with commission.  Although I'm sure sales associates have seen some peculiar people (male of female), that gave them "the creeps".  I would think that female sales associates would be somewhat intrigued by guys buying heels, especially if the guy was confident and looked good in the heels. 

Let me know if you ever get up to Providence, would love to go boot shopping with you!  Don

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great public feedback. I was wearing modestly heeled (4 inch) booties to a doc's appointment recently, and a guy walking out at the same time as me commented "If i wore those i would be falling all over" I laughed and said, " no you would quickly master it" . He added " well you do a great job". Now i was obviously in full femme dress, but i suspect this guy had thought about wearing heels himself a time or two.

Great outing. It will get easier and easier and you will find that the negative reactions are far, far fewer than the positive or the non-existent.