What sort of stride do you go for?

mlroseplant

After three years of practice, I think I have finally managed to come up with some sort of consistent, halfway-graceful walk in heels. Except when going down the stairs. I still suck at that, but that's a whole other subject. 

Many "how-to" guides suggest taking little, itty-bitty steps when walking in heels. I do not find this to be the least bit attractive for either gender. It may be practical advice if you don't really know how to walk in heels, but if that's the case, one should probably wear lower heels anyway. My goal has always been to walk athletically and aggressively, yet with a somewhat feminine style. My problem has always been that I am slightly bowlegged, and that I never paid any attention to how I appeared when I walked before I started wearing high heels. I definitely walk like a guy when left to my own device. 

One could argue that that since I AM a guy, I should walk like one, since it is not my intention to look like a woman. However, I find an overly masculine walk to be highly unattractive in heels. There has to be a happy medium. Here is what I have come up with:

I like to take longer strides, but I take great care to keep my legs very close together. I push off with my trailing foot, rather than stretching out with my leading foot. That happens naturally anyway, if one gives a powerful push with the trailing foot. I have included an illustration of what I strive for. I can't remember where I found this, but when I ran across it, I remember thinking that THIS is the way to walk in heels! 

I took some video today in three different pairs of heels, and although there is still room for improvement, I think I'm doing ok. I did notice that my stride is stronger when I'm leading with the left foot. I wonder if this is a vestige of high school marching band (I played the tuba, which some of you might find humorous, given my diminutive size)?  Included are some pictures. Tight sandals (worn often and habitually in public), flappy sandals (not worn often in public), and my highest pumps, in a loafer style. 

So, what do you think about when you are walking in heels? Do you try to alter your natural stride? Do you like to appear more feminine, or do you prefer to embrace your masculinity, even in your walk? I am very excited to hear your thoughts  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

I take shorter strides but not tiny steps. I learned long ago to alter my stride and i think its pretty feminine. I lead with the heel and keep in mind the "invisible line" that you place your feet on. This also causes your to swivel your hips. The back should be slightly arched and the shoulders down  Finally, i took some time to learn to relax my stride and not be rigid for me that is a key to a feminine walk as well.

Just the height of the heels will limit the wearer to taking respectively shorter strides than they normally would, say in flats, sports shoes, or bare feet. If your head seems to be bobbing up and down across a level plane, I'd say the forward progress of your steps from one foot to the other are too far apart at that height. As far as my stride, I'm concerned with making it seem naturally fluent and graceful. Swiveling hips doesn't fit this picture, at least for me, because this is the body's reaction to doing the runway type of walking, which is also unnatural. As robbiehhw brings out, there is an invisible line we need to be aware of, but it doesn't have to be where you place your steps. You merely have to parallel your steps beside the line with in a couple of inches (or a decimeter). Of course posture is very important and being as erect as you are able while making it look like you are aware of all your surroundings goes a long way to appearing confident and ready. Being well groomed and wearing coordinated, well fitting outfits are also pluses. Keep in mind that heels are usually worn for show and formal occasions, whether wearing jeans, shorts, or swimming apparel. They weren't meant to be worn for laborious or physically demanding activities, even though there have been many sightings and reports to the contrary.

A few random tips. Patience. You might not get there as fast, but that's just more time to be seen. The higher the heel the shorter the stride, it's just physics of the foot and ankle. Keep your shoulders back and don't hunch over. Relax your buttocks, let them sink down onto your thighs, loosen up and roll naturally. This requires faith that the landing heel will catch and hold. If you walk gingerly, like you would on ice, it always looks bad. The way to learn to walk glacefully, confidently and naturally in high heels is to practice in even higher heels. When you go back to slightly lower heels, they will feel great. 

I was having coffee sitting outside on a nice day at an open air mall in Phoenix in the early '90s.  A gal came out of a TJ Max wearing a pair of 4-inch single sole pumps.  She walked very smoothly but with purpose out to the parking lot.  I remember thinking how can someone walk at such a peppy pace, so well and so gracefully in a pair of heels that are that tall.  More than twenty years later I remember it like it was yesterday.  Ever since then I have aimed to walk like her in heels.  I would say that my stride is peppy yet smooth and graceful.

I actually received a compliment about my walking style.  A gal at a coffee house was commenting that I walk really well in heels.  She said that I was as good my hips even have they right sway.  I have never intended to sway my hips however I tend to believe that if you walk well in heels the sway comes with it.

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Like Larry, I also have 20+ years of "practice" wearing heels. Things were akward at first, but with practice - and some hints from the wife, thank you sweetie - I have gotten the hang of it. Actually it wasn't that difficult, I watched my wife and other gals and just sort of imitated them as well as doing what felt natural and comfortable. Have fun.    sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

This is a great topic, practice makes perfect, and I have found that wearing a tight-fitting bodyslip helps keep your legs together, and swings your feet back in toward the imaginarl "line". However, I realize this isn't much help if you prefer jeans or leggings with your heels

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it....oh!

Leisurely and comfortably - When I'm in heels, I'm not in a hurry. I try to get to that point where I forget I'm wearing heels. I have no instructor or person who is going to coach me, so I'm on my own.

My wife says there is a hip movement going on, so if that's the case, I may be in the ball park.

I do find I walk differently on different surfaces depending on the heel thickness (stiletto vs stacked) and I know my back feels straighter, and my line is straighter (my feet don't kick out to the sides as much).

I get more practice in when I'm on the road. Next week it's Cincinnati all week in the evenings. I plan on doing some bargain hunting.

Good point on the back, Heelster. I find that keeping your shoulders back, and posture erect, keeps your stride in shape, although, as you say, it must be done leisurely and comfortably, or else it might look like some kind of a forced march ! 

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it....oh!